Thursday, August 16, 2018

The BiQUE Ride - Rest Day - Part One


It’s a rest day! That means we’re supposed to rest up, but seriously what’s the fun in that?

I had a good sleep once I fell asleep and then in the morning realized that it was not the same people beside me as the previous night. Not sure what their problem was - anyway, last night I had the fan (A/C) in the room on and that masked any noises from the next room. GASP - I know - the A/C - well it was mostly to get rid of the humidity and to mask the noises. It’s off now.

A couple of weeks ago, I had visited Kingston (where we’re staying) and I had hit the quilt stores so no need to hit them again. This time, I was out for the used book stores with my list in hand.

I know you’re all going to think that I’m crazy but that’s OK. One of the stores was downtown and the other wasn’t. Well I could just walk to the other one. OH Google maps says that it’s 9 KM away. Well how long can that take? TWO hours. So I walked. I had nothing else to do all day  - I’m really not a good tourist. I walked there - it was a glorious day - a bit hot, but not bad. I arrived and found a nice orderly bookstore. I searched through all the books and was getting worried - I hadn’t found one book on my list. I found one that I could buy if nothing else surfaced. Then eureka - I found one book. Thankfully it was only one book because I now had to carry that book with me.

I could have taken my bike which would have been pretty fast, I could have taken the bus, but I was OK with walking and then I decided to walk all the way back. Again - what else was I going to do.

On the way back, there were a few places that I wanted to stop so I did pop in for a quick peek at them on the way back to the hotel.

Finally hit all the places (or so I thought) and sat in a small restaurant for a late lunch. I looked across the street and there was the second book store. I guess my brain was so fried, I had forgotten to get to the second book shop. After lunch I popped in. OH BOY - if you’re ever looking for a book - a historical or war themed book - this is the place. It was packed to the rafters with books. Books on the staircase, books on the floor. Books everywhere.

The fiction section wasn’t very big and mostly hardcovers. Very hard to find things so I didn’t luck out there. I did find a book on Textiles (the history of) that I was tempted to buy, but ended up putting it back on the shelf. I finally found the quilting section and it had some older books. Pretty sure that I had most of them, but I did find one that intrigued me. If you bought two, you got a third one free. I was tempted to get the Textile book, but then I would have had to find a third book and well - I was done for the moment.

On my way back to the hotel, I passed a store offered fresh juices. Hmm - that sounds great. I should have known when there was NO PRICE on the board how expensive it was going to be. I paid $8.50 for a watermelon juice in a glass bottle that wasn’t very big. Yeesh.  Let’s just say that I enjoyed every last drop - but that was a bit expensive.

Let me finish this in a part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment