Friday, August 31, 2018

It’s a Small World Afterall. (Part Three)

In the past when I’ve come here (which is usually once a year), I have a routine. I get my rental car and then I visit the quilt shops. This time, since I had been here just a few months ago, I decided to forego the quilt shops and hit the used books shops instead. So using Google Maps on my phone (in my air vent holder), I found my way to two used book stores.

It’s an adventure to hit any used book store because the way the books are filed differently in every store. Just when you think that you’re not going to find something, you find another section. I’ve seen books filed by genre which makes sense and not everything I’m looking for is in the same - some are classified as thrillers, some as suspense, some as murder mystery. And yesterday, the books were filed by Male - suspense and Female - suspense. And then general category of thrillers. That was weird. Anyway, I managed to find ONE book in each store that had been eluding me for a while. WOW - that made me super happy and it was worth it to hit each of the book stores. There are a couple of novellas that I’m just going to buy online because I’ll never find them. And then I should update that list because as I read one book in a series, the next one needs to be identified whether its at the library or not. I tell you - managing my book lists is serious business.

I’m going to put out a couple of books and if you’re in the Toronto area, let me know if you have these books that I could borrow or buy from you. I will eventually find these or I’ll buy them online but the thrill of searching out in the book stores is loads of fun. There is one big store in Parry Sound that I need to hit as well and then I must get to that store in Chatham. There is always the option of leaving the list at a book store and if they happen to receive one of the books, they will contact you. I might just do that as well, but will only do that at one store as I would forget.


Exit Lines by Reginald Hill
Every Dead Thing by John Connolly
Absolution by Murder by Peter Tremayne
Wedding Ring by Emilie Richards (quilt related book)
The Blessing Way by Tony Hillerman

One of the used book stores was on the university campus and I think they did a booming business in text books, but also had a small section in novels. I did find two quilt books at the other store. Yep - two new stops on future trips!

In case you haven’t figured it out, I’m back at my parents where we hope to make a few more inroads in getting rid of stuff. It isn’t easy. The one thing I’ve learned is that you MUST MUST MUST verify the stories. What one person says isn’t always true. I think that happens every time we’re here. And while my Mom’s heart is in the right place to get rid of stuff, she doesn’t really appreciate the magnitude of what she is asking. She gets things misconstrued and frankly, when she says something I don’t trust her mind. So I call the person in question and ask. I’m learning lots.

Oh - could you pack up all those glasses in the cabinet so if someone wants them, they are ready to go? Well - it’s a wee bit difficult for someone to see them if they’re packed up. They need to be donated and that’s that. I had to dish out some tough love yesterday and she gave in. OK - so here’s an example. I’m almost embarrassed to write this. In the bathroom is a cupboard filled with sheets, blankets and other table linens. There are MANY (no idea how many) packages of brand new sheets. OH - she wanted me to keep some and bring them in for her so she could give them away as wedding or shower gifts.  MOM - NO. First off - how many weddings or showers would you go to and you are NOT giving away a 50 year old sheet set. NO NO and NO. Those items are being packed up today and will be donated. So - heart in the right place, but no sense of reality.

The weather looks decent and it’s cool here - what has happened to the heat? It’s like a switch - on or off, but nothing in between.

On that note, I’m out of here.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!



2 comments:

  1. Emilie Richards has dozens of books. I've read everything our library system has! Her complete book list is here: http://emilierichards.com/books/non-series-titles/

    Loved every one I read! Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle. I haven’t read any of her books yet, but trying to find this darn one that’s missing at our library. I may have to buy it!

      Delete