Tuesday, August 28, 2018

When it's your birthday!


Yep - yesterday was my birthday. While I'm NOT going to mention how old I am, I don't mind mentioning the fact that it was my birthday. I think if no other day in the year that you write a diary for, you should write one for your birthdays. It would be super fun to look back and remember what you did on your other birthdays. I probably mention this every year, but I distinctly remember my 13th birthday. No idea why. I remember what I wore, what we had for dinner and what I did (made a birdhouse). It was weird. Then I remember a few others - I finished up a bike trip in Beddeck, NB on my birthday. I was about to board the ferry to Newfoundland to finish up my trek across Canada on another. And still, another was spent on a dude ranch somewhere in the mid-USA for a business trip. But wouldn't it be cool to know what you did on each of your birthdays???

Anyway - I'll share with you tomorrow what I did on my birthday. Well - you get to see part of what happened yesterday and it's NOT pretty. Today, I'm going to share with you what we did on the Sunday Sit n Sew.

I started the day off by putting the binding on a customer quilt so she could take it home and I got the other customer's quilt trimmed so she could take that one home. Done and done!

Binding on a customer quilt

Then I worked on the binding for the apple quilt which you saw yesterday. I love that quilt and I love the whole idea of the pixelated pictures. Got to do more of that.

I was able to get the second (of three) scrappy quilt tops put together. I took this picture this morning and YES I had a helper. Even though she is NOT supposed to be down there, I do allow her down from time to time especially when it's hot. She didn't stay long this morning. I certainly didn't let her lounge on the quilt like I would Sammy because Murphy is a bit of a slobbery dog and she drools everywhere. A quick picture and the quilt was off the floor.


Second scrappy quilt

The third scrappy quilt got put on the design wall and all the missing blocks for the border were made. That's what I got accomplished at Sunday Sit n Sew.

Ronda was working on some key fobs (by Lazy Girl) - is that what they are called? The pattern is called Fobio. Anyway, this version is made with zippers and are very cute.

Key fobs made with zippers
Ronda also got this table runner basted (my way - with no basting spray) and she started to quilt it. She has come a long way in the quilting department. I didn't even have to tell her to stitch in the ditch between the rows to stabilize it. She came up with that. And she also came up with the quilting design. Yeah, Ronda!!!!!


Ronda's table runner in the quilting process
It's a bit difficult to see the quilting motif, but she used one of her Westalee rulers and a thread that blended in. I really like the motif she chose and how she added that loop to get from one to the other. Way to go Ronda!!!!

Quilting motifs on the table runner
 Just a note here - don't second guess yourself. This is for Ronda and everyone else out there who is learning to machine quilt. Make sure you do the homework before you start to quilt. If you have several ideas - draw them out on paper to see which one flows the best and which you like the best. Practice both on scrap quilt sandwiches. Then choose one and GO FOR IT. Do NOT second guess yourself. You can always take that second design and use it on the next quilt. That's part of the learning process and we chalk that up to experience. I think she's done a great job and NO ripping is allowed!!!!

France was working on some nine patch blocks. This was the original project she started months ago when we first started up the Sit n Sews. She got sidetracked with a few projects but is back on track now.


Nine patch blocks
 Sharon had SHOW n TELL at last. She's been working on a Border Creek Mystery and if you've done one, you know that at least half of the clues involve making LOTS of components. Then you start sewing things together. This is the center of one of nine blocks. But at least - there's show n tell!!


Sharon's block center (one of nine!)
Here's the rest of her baggies with all the other components in there waiting for the next Sit n Sew.

Rest of the Border Creek mystery components

Pam was working on a quilt top which I'll get a picture of at the next Sit n Sew when it's complete.

So yesterday was my birthday. I'll tell you the birthday stuff today. Tomorrow you get to hear what I DID. I'm still in disblief! Or exhausted is more like it. My aunt also shares the same birthday as me. Happy Birthday, Auntie Yvonne!!!!  We had a good chat yesterday.

I got a beautiful card from the girls. Of course, they couldn't decide whose name should be first. Lexi and Murphy or Murphy and Lexi. Those girls. They just can't agree. But they are cute and I love them to death.

This package has been sitting on my shelf for months. I had almost forgotten about it, but remembered it after I sent M a care package this past week. It was filled with some awesome goodies - some she hand made espeically for me which is really sweet.


The birthday present

Here is one of the things that were in the box. A book in the shape of an E.




With blank pages. Now, what can I put in there???  It's kind of weird with those two sections missing. But it can be a fun doodle book.


Blank pages
There were lots of other little goodies in the box as well. Thanks, M!!!!!  Love you kiddo!

So yesterday was Monday sewing and it was a great day spent with great friends. Lots of laughs as usual and just such a beautiful way to spend any day. In the morning, I had a craving for ice cream. I never buy ice cream and I have NO idea why I wanted ice cream. On the way home, I remembered that there was a huge watermelon in the fridge and instead of ice cream, I had better eat that watermelon.

Home to cut the watermelon in half. Hm, something appears to be wrong when it started leaking way more than a watermelon leaks. Yikes - it was pretty much in half when I decided it should be in the sink and as I picked it up to carry it, it literally shot watermelon juice from a hole in the side all the way to the sink. ACK!!!!  I threw it in the sink and it opened up and this is what it looked like inside. I've never had that happen to a watermelon before. I had only just bought the darn thing three days ago.



 Needless to say, I didn't have watermelon. I was on my own for dinner and I didn't want leftovers so I popped to the grocery store to get a salad. How boring but that's what I wanted. However, I did get that ice cream. And it was YUMMY. No guilt - I didn't even read the label. I saw the little blue cow so it was real ice cream and who cares how many calories or how much fat was in there. It was my birthday and that's what I wanted.
Ice cream!!!
I can't remember the last time I bought a carton of ice cream. We just don't eat it in our house. But now for a few days, we'll be eating ice cream. I could have had ice cream for breakfast. I might have it as a morning snack.

Oh - I thought I would share a couple of pictures of what the girls do when there is a Sit n Sew at our house. Lexi likes to lounge by the door, keeping a close eye on who is coming and going.





Murphy likes to sit at the top of the stairs, praying that no one will see if she slithers down the steps one at a time.





On that note, I'm out of here. Got another busy day and I had betterr get started.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment