Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Convention - Day Three

Yesterday was a better day. Why? I drank three bottles of water and I didn't eat ANY bread or potatoes all day. I felt much better. Yeah!

Actually at lunch (and I felt a wee bit guilty), I took two sandwiches and then proceeded to set the HUGE pieces of bread (white) aside as I ate the meager fillings. But I felt so much better, I soon lost all guilt!

My first class of the day was to make a small zippered pouch. Shouldn't be that big of a problem? Well - it was with a brand new machine - the new PFAFF Ambition 620.  Except that I have no accessories for the PFAFF machines. Fortunately, I had a wonderful lady beside me who shared her circular attachment and I was able to borrow the remainder of the feet from the instructor. That's a nice sewing machine but when you're used to one that raises the presser feet automatically, the biggest challenge of the class was remembering to raise the presser foot. Which the machine reminded us repeatedly. We got a good chuckle out of that.

I love the zippered pouch. It's very cute and I learned a couple of new ways to use various feet and accessories.  I have so MUCH to do when I get home. So many samples to make and experiments to try out. I can't wait to get home! Well, I can, but you know what I mean.

I'm on my laptop this morning and I have to say that there's nothing that beats the keyboard on a laptop. NOTHING.  It's got the best touch and so easy to type. I wish we could buy a similar type keyboard for my home computer.

I've been filling my notebook with lists of product that I would like to get my hands on and stuff (supplies) that I would like to buy. Oh the list is long and I'm lucky that some of it I get to "borrow" so I can learn it. I wonder if I could get one of the super cute new chairs "on loan" or the super cool lighting systems. Somehow I don't think so as there really isn't a learning curve to putting your butt on a cool chair.

I'm not sure where the picture of the chair is, but I've seen the style before and I never thought I would like it. Actually never parked my butt on one before even though I've seen it around. Well I tried it this time and it's actually quite comfy. And there's storage in the seat. I like that.

And the lighting system would be so good for our retreats. Hmm.........

After lunch which is fun as every time I end up sitting with someone new and it's great to chat with the people from all over the country - this country. And fun to learn how people got into the business. Many people have been passionate about sewing for YEARS and started off with the #1 Plus sewing machine. That was before my time. Things have certainly changed since then.

In the afternoon, I was totally over my head. The class was on the multi-needle embroidery machine. Ten needles. Yikes - looks like a great big monster, but once we got through the instruction, it's relatively easy to use. Not having to change the thread would be a great option, but I don't think that I want to get into this kind of a machine for me personally. But lots of people are!  And if you're in the business of machine embroidery, you have no choice if you want to make money. We learned how to hoop a hat which was pretty cool and if you were in the embroidering hat business, you'd want this machine. While one hat is stitching, you hoop the second hat. Crazy!

Then we had some time to kill before dinner so I took a wee walk down to the river. I searched for a geocache (I know - WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?).   It's a small container that you find by following a map (now on an app on your phone). I managed to find it right by the water front after a wee bit of searching. That part of town is fairly nice but still security people always driving around on their ATVs.  Anyway, I found the thing and logged it - that makes 390 finds for me. I guess I'll aim to find one in each state or country I hit. I've missed a few over the past years so will have to travel back to get them. It's a fun activity to do in a new town or with kids to keep them entertained. Ronda - we have to look in Orillia!! Oh - we did already.

Back to the hotel to change back into pants (you do not WANT to walk outside in pants - although it wasn't too bad last night). I got my mask and I was ready to hit the masquerade dinner. It was fun - the room was decorated in yellow, green and purple. Masks and feather boas and beads were everywhere. They had a mask contest with a pretty substantial prize and there were over 70 people who lined up to have their masks judged. Mine was a simple mask (I wouldn't qualify anyway) and nowhere near being in the judging quality. I'm not sure who won as it was announced late. It took them forever to judge and there were some pretty amazing masks.  A load of fun and we got to try some more NOLA dishes for dinner.

Do you know what NOLA means?  Took me a couple of days to figure it out. New Orleans, LA (for Louisiana!!)

So far so good at the convention. Like I said, I've learned tons and millions of ideas swirling in my head and things to get, things to buy, things to learn, things to make - it just doesn't stop. I'm going to be a lean mean creating machine when I get home. OH yes - I've got ideas. I just need the time.

There are sort of two conventions here. The first couple of days were for Husqvarna Viking and the next days are for PFAFF. But there is crossover between the two of them. I've got three more classes and this morning is all the speeches for the PFAFF people which I think I'll go to just to hear the word from the other side although a lot of the product (especially the after market stuff) is pretty much the same).

On that note, I'm out of here and better get some clothes on!!!

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment