Monday, October 29, 2018

Motivational Monday - and it's all good!!!


Yesterday was a Sit n Sew day. It was probably the MOST productive Sit n Sew day EVER! I was so focused that while I remember that there were four other people in the room with me, I don't think for the life of me I could tell you what they were working on. Well, that's not quite true. I know Elaine was working on some July Shop Hop blocks and France was working on Quilts of Valor blocks. But Lynn and Diane? If I dug deep, I might remember, but I don't think I even paid attention so digging deep wouldn't help!

So what got done? I've been mentioning that there is a LOT of stuff that is very close to being finished - well that was my focus. Here's what happened.

Let's start by looking at that messy table. I mean really - how can this be a help to me? It's full of stuff.

The extra space table is crammed with stuff

I grabbed the first project which was a finished quilt top. The backing was also done. The binding strips were cut. They just needed to be sewn together. Now the binding is made and this one is ready to go into the "to be quilted" pile.


Binding, backing and the top - ready to be quilted

Onto the next project. The top was completed and nothing else. I had to choose some backing and cut the binding. Now the binding is made and the backing is as well. Another one to add to the "to be quilted" pile.
Backing, binding, and top - ready to be quilted

Hey - this focusing is FUN!!!!

Then onto the next one. This is Vintage Moments. The final two side borders were cut and they were even pinned onto the quilt. They are now sewn onto the quilt.

Vintage Moments - the top is FINALLY finished


The flannel backing had been washed and was literally rolled in a big ball. It's now nicely pressed and pieced. The bias binding was made and this quilt is ready for the "to be quilted" pile.


Binding, backing, and the top - ready to be quilted
I don't know about you, but I see a problem here. We already know that the "to be quilted" pile is HUGE. And I just added three more. But wait - I'm not done!!!

I grabbed the next one. The top was made. I'm really wanting to get this fabric used up so I took all the leftovers and joined them to make the backing. Yes - those two fabrics aren't the best match. I don't think someone will mind on a cold winter night. 


Scrappy backing
 I had to make the binding as well and so here's one more to add to the "to be quilted" pile.


One more to add to the "to be quilted" pile

In case you're wondering, I did NOT fire up the long arm yesterday to check the fuse situation. I'm doing that today. I had a lengthy chat with my Dad about the fuses and I feel that I'm a wee bit more knowledgeable in that department. 

But the day wasn't over. So I dug out the double wedding ring quilt. The first of the two lap quilts is already in the "to be quilted" pile.

When I pulled this one out, I thought there were a lot of those curved seams to sew. But NOPE - it didn't take long and this one was done. The binding and the backing were already made - isn't that a bonus when we realize how quick it is to finish something because we did some extra work one other day?


Another backing, binding, and top to be added to the "to be quilted" ile


What needed to be done? I had to add two melons! That's it and this one was finished. How silly for me to set it aside.


Two melons had to be added


The day wasn't over yet! And I wasn't stopping for anything! So I forged ahead with the remaining four blocks from the double wedding ring project. I had to piece four arcs and then attach them to the melon and then sew all the bits together.

It was while I was sewing this piece that the others left. Then I fired up the embroidery machine and it worked steadily for hours. I made progress but not fast enough for what I need to do. Since I do have four embroidery machines available to me at the moment, I may consider getting more than one going. I need another small hoop. I could use a larger hoop, but I'm liking the small hoop. More on that another day.


The LAST of the double wedding ring projects - DONE

This is going to be my practice piece when it comes time to machine quilt the quilts. I'm putting this one on my UFO list for next year. Yes - there are three quilts, but they only need to be quilted and bound. No piecing. That's going to be great. But I have a learning curve ahead of me in order to use the computer to quilt them. That's for another day. My learning curve was last night figuring out how to modify my embroidery design. And I did it!!!

One more project added to the "to be quilted" pile


By my count, that was SIX projects that got finished yesterday. Well, not finished enough to put on my finished list, but they got moved to the next round. Am I thrilled???  I'm ecstatic!!  I did actually make a cushion cover last night as well and that one will go on the FINISHED list. I don't have time for a picture this morning.

The studio space is quite messy at the moment, but it's all a work in progress as I attempt to finish that embroidery and sew a quilt top together. I think I got close to 14,000 steps yesterday and that was a Sit n Sew day!!!  That's totally crazy. I've learned over the years - be VERY efficient with your movements. Think ahead and anticipate what needs to be done so you can "multi-task." And don't make mistakes!!!   Test - test  - test!!!!!

I'll share more of that with you another day. I don't have time this morning.

But have a look at that extra table beside my sewing machine. What a difference a day makes.


Look at the sewing table!!!!


There is one more big project on that table. A tuffet that needs to be finished. I really should get off my butt and get it done.  Then I would have room to store the "next in line" projects and still have some room to work.

So I'm crossing things off in my Task Master book. I'm adding things to one list as they go off another. It's all very exciting and so nice to see the number of things that have gotten accomplished over the year.

I hope that everyone else is getting things done. The end of the year is fast approaching.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment