Thursday, October 11, 2018

CreativFestival - Set up day

My "most" favorite day of any show - set up day. Things got off to a slow start as we waited for our stuff to arrive. But once it did, we set to work like busy little bees to get all the tables dressed, the machines up and running and all the pretty samples out for view. I was even commandeered to thread a serger - it appears that no one likes this job. I haven't threaded a conventional serger in a few years - make that many years (I have an auto threading serger), but I managed on my second try. Yeah!!

We're NOT in the usual Hall. The CREATIVFESTIVAL is in Hall FIVE. I like that one better than the other one. It looks cleaner and newer inside. There are a lot of things to check out - we hvae BRANhaveW sewing/embroidery machines to show off. These are literally hot off the press. The Husqvarna Viking Designer Brilliance 80 and the Brilliance 75Q.

There are some great quilt shops if you're in the market for quilting stuff and we saw some gorgeous (and reasonably priced) flannel quilt kits. I do not need another kit, but those were so well priced that - well - I'll see how things go.

Anyway - I'm excited to check out the show and I did spend a wee bit of time chatting with people I knew yesterday. Everyone is busy with the setup so no one wants to spend time chatting. It was a long day as we have two booths to set up so I didn't get out of there too early. And then got stuck in traffic on the way home. Another stupid accident which just brings traffic to a standstill. How people put up with day in and day out - well, I'm not sure I could.

I managed to get that quilt off the frame the other day. It's waiting to be trimmed and then picked up.

Customer quilt - DONE


Hopefully, I can get it trimmed tonight.

I have to say that I started reading a book a couple of days ago and I can't put the darn thing down. I'm 27 pages from the end and it's creeping me out. Catherine Coulter - The Cove. I'll have to leave it for today, but it'll be the first thing I touch when I get home. This is a series and The Cove is the first one. Yikes!  It's the style of writing that is weird, but also the subject matter. Anyway - going to be interesting to see how it ends. There's certainly a lot of twists in the book.


Quilt Market is looming in less than ONE MONTH. I was checking out some of the new collections that will be showcased by MODA. Interesting that you can tell the designer of almost all the collections simply by looking at the color!!!  I'm not kidding - it would be interesting to take a fat quarter bundle from two different collections by the same designer. Stack them side by side and I would bet that from a foot away, that you couldn't tell the difference between the collections. The prints may change, but the values and color do not!!!!  Why is that? and why do we feel compelled to keep buying more when we basically already have the same thing at home????

I shall be putting that theory to the test in the next quilt shop I find where that's possible. Unless they're a huge MODA shop, you probably can't do that unless you buy two bundles and do it that way.  Hmm -  a little bit of investigation is in order. But here's a case in point - Me and My Sister. They have done quite a few collections for MODA (I want to say 27 - could be more).  Many of the collections can work with each other. There's the pinks, the blues, the greens and the yellows. SAME colors - just different designs. Perhaps that's the selling feature of these collections. If you have leftovers, you can just buy more fabric and keep making quilts. I bought some years ago and while I haven't made anything yet, I could easily match it up with their latest offering.

On that note, I'm out of here. I have to get the girls out before I leave. We have to be there for 8:45 and it's going to be a long day as the show is on from 9 AM to 6 PM.  Wear comfortable shoes, although it's not so bad as we get to sit down at the machines. I might even get a wee bit of my own work done! You know - have to show how the machines work and all.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment