Thursday, October 25, 2018

How smart are you??



When I'm working at home, it's like I'm at a real job. I'm downstairs, head down, working hard, and FOCUSED. But having fun at the same time. I'll tell you a bit more about that in a second.

I also come up for air and have a lunch break where I actually sit at the table and eat. I usually have some reading material sitting at the table waiting to be perused. I found this gem of a quote yesterday that I have to share with you. If you're the parents of young children or grandparents - please keep this in mind. It's VERY IMPORTANT and the quote should speak volumes. If it doesn't, well - there's a problem.

The quote is from a professor (Fay Arjomandi) at Concordia University as she discusses something that happened to her at Engineering School.

"The professor said, 'Getting an A doesn't make you smart. It just means you're good at input and output.' "

Now doesn't make a ton of sense???  It's so true but there are parents out there who feel the need to browbeat children who don't get A's or who "only" get 95 on a test or as a final grade. Do we get graded like that in the real world? NEVER.

It's almost like we need to get rid of those numbers - I think they do more harm than good. I honestly believe that everyone is good as something - we just need to find what that something is.

For me - it's quilting. Even with twenty years of experience and a partial diploma in textile arts, I'm still a B! No - let me rephrase that - I'm probably an A in mastering techniques - the purely physical aspect of quilting. And I'm near the top of the ladder for creativity (which is really problem-solving), but I'm not as far up as I would like to be in the translation of an idea that's in my head to the actual product. And I'm way behind in what I would LOVE to spend my time doing - making small quilt vinettes and experimenting with techniques. What I have learned over the years, is that the more I do, the better I become. I will NEVER be an A+ student because there's always something more to strive for.

Speaking of small vignettes, I came up with a brilliant idea - well I thought it was brilliant on my way to that workshop the other day. I had better write that idea down or I'll forget! When I get one made, I'll share it with you.

Speaking of that workshop, I got this picture back from one of the students. This is her final piece that lies flat as a pancake. I believe the orientation is going to go the other way (landscape versus portrait), but when I rotate the picture, it's pretty distorted so I left it this way. The possibilities for embellishment are endless. Turned on its side, it reminds us of a pond with stuff (seaweed - lily pads) floating in it. Adding frogs? lily pads?? Grass??  Or it doesn't have to be embellished at all. Keep that creative mind OPEN!!!


One of the pieces from the workshop 

Did that quilt get in the box yesterday? Not quite. I got the top pieced. I threw it on the long arm and I confess that I caved and did an overall pattern on it just to get it done faster. That is BAD. I haven't even looked at it despite the fact that it now has the binding on. I have to say that I LOVE the PFAFF Creative Icon for putting on a binding. That's the top of the line sewing/embroidery machine on the PFAFF side. It has the IDT (built-in walking foot), the thing is FAST and it takes no time to put a binding on. Of course, it helps that I've done countless bindings by machine now. A far cry from three years ago this time, when I was struggling to get a binding on some quilts for Quilt Market. I know - a wee bit of overkill for a binding, but well the Creative Icon was sitting there begging to be used.

The hanging sleeve is made but I ran out of time to hand stitch it down as I had to teach a class last night. Today is Sit n Sew and the studio is ready for eleven of us to sew in. It didn't take too long to tidy up. Does that mean there is less of my stuff hanging around? Maybe a little. I'm trying to not get more stuff out and work on only what's urgent.

Here's the thing that happened yesterday that made it easy to remain focused with my head down, but still have fun. I started to listen to that audiobook. The Murder House by James Patterson. I put my earbuds in and my phone in my pocket and I buzzed around the studio, piecing the top, pressing the seams, loading the top on the long arm, setting up the computer. Everything worked like a charm and I NEEDED to keep listening to the audiobook. It's an obsession and it's one that I can do while I work. I'm in LOVE with that. Could I do that with a real job? Never.

I know - I'm very lucky. And I'm extremely grateful for the ways things are for myself. I wouldn't trade any of it. Things aren't perfect by any means and having THREE dogs to look after is sheer lunacy especially at feeding time. Perhaps Lexi can share that story with you one day.

While I was piecing, I couldn't find my other ender/leader projects. Or do I even have a current one for home? Anyway, I grabbed these black/white bits that I cut a couple of weeks ago. Look at my progress.

I have one block done - that's the one that I found in the orphan block box. Oh, shoot - I need to check if that's the only one.

Then I found the same red fabric in my stash. That got cut up into 2 ½" squares. And this is what I've done so far. I'm not sure how many of the blocks now have the first round done. The white will become the second round and the block is done. It will finish at 6" in the quilt.




First round is complete and waiting for the white to be added


Here are the bits that are in progress to finish off the red centers. I'm going to need a whole lot more black and white in order to make a lap quilt! We did a black and white exchange years ago and I'm thinking that this is what I did with those strips. I would hate to cut more strips only to find a box with more cut strips in it. I'd better do a bit of checking before I cut more. But I've got a long way to go before I need more fabric cut.


The bits in progress


Look at this fun piece of fabric that someone in my class gave me the other day. I wonder why they thought of me??  It's canvas no less so it will make a great bag. I didn't even file it in the bicycle fabric bin - I put it with the bags that need to be finished. Thanks, Trixy!


Canvas bicycle fabric


I discovered something this morning. Do you remember that Ruby Star Society web page that I led you to yesterday???  Something is coming from the five designers that formed Cotton + Steel but were ousted or left a while back.  If you scroll down the page, you can put your e-mail address in. Doesn't it sound like a secret society?? All hush hush??

Just checked the list of vendors at Quilt Market which is coming up fast. There is no listing for Ruby Star which may mean that they are attached to a parent fabric company. But which one????  I can't imagine that they decided to NOT attend Market. No the appearance of that web page is too close to Quilt Market to be a coincidence. However in light of the way things are working and those girls are very hip - is it possible that they're launching a new product strictly on the internet???  I doubt it. But you never know.

This is how in touch I am with reality. I've checked our mailbox for the last two days. Wondering why there was no mail. It was after I checked yesterday that I clued in that there is a mail strike. OH.

I just checked the orphan blocks box. Did NOT find any more of those black and white, but I did find another block that will be easy to take apart so I can use. I'll share that with you tomorrow.

Today at Sit n Sew is going to be focusing on cleaning up a bunch of small things that need to be repaired, pulled apart to repair or whatever. I'll show you all about it tomorrow.

On that note, I'm out of here!

Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!





No comments:

Post a Comment