Sunday, October 21, 2018

Large things!

First - I had a VERY productive day yesterday. 

I managed to get all the pieces for a twin size quilt cut. The blocks are laid out and partially assembled. That was a huge accomplishment. 

Then I worked on a custom quilt - a large one. I made excellent progress on that one. 

My goal is to have my twin size quilt on the long arm by the end of the day. I know - a very ambitious goal, but it's doable. When I don't have any distractions, I can get a lot done. 

I did have a wee distraction when Ronda came to drop off another quilt for me to work on, but I'm allowed to have a break now and then.  So there are no pictures of what I worked on. 

I heard that there is another great used book sale in Elora. Hmm - now how does one get in the loop on all these sales? I think I'll have to write a tentative note in my calendar and as the time gets close, I can do some investigation. Although it's not necessarily the best thing as I'm buying books and I said that I didn't need books. I try not to buy what I can find at the library. What's the point? But I've been buying non-fiction and I certainly don't need more! Oh well - it keeps me happy, but I'm seriously running out of room downstairs for more quilting books. 

Maybe I'll limit myself to two book sales a year and a few bookstores? 

If you're into the Row by Row Experience, the new theme for 2019 has been announced. You can find out for yourself at this link.

When I was going through some paperwork in the office last week, I came across some pages that I had printed from the internet. If I had a loonie for every page that I've printed from the internet, I'd be rich. Anyway, the pages had been printed in 2007 and I still have them! (I did put them in the recycle bin this morning) What was the topic? Large Canadian Roadside Attractions. When M was younger, we traveled all over to find them. It was something to do and great to do on vacation (and I'm sure we hit a few quilt shops at the same time). If you have small kids/grandkids, it's a great thing to do. These things are all over Canada (and probably the world). 

I've just checked their website. Now there's a blog, Twitter, and other social media sites to check out. No need to print out pages anymore!  It's now much easier to find these attractions than it was. 

I remember when we were in Saskatchewan and on our way to Regina from Saskatoon. We were looking for a bison made from metal. The name of a small town was listed as the location of the artwork and we searched that town up and down. We even asked some ofthe locals and they had never heard of it. Alas, we gave up. We continued on our way and were flying down the highway when suddenly the bison appeared on our left. It was on the other side of the highway in the opposite direction. Lest we forget about it on the trip home, we did a quick turnaround (easy to do on the prairie highways) and got our picture. It's somewhere on a hard disk here in the house! 

We had a lot of fun tracking down those roadside attractions. Check out the web site - there are all kinds of things to find and it's loads of fun and you get to see some countryside that you would never have seen if you weren't looking for them. I just saw a Husky in Saskatoon. I'll have to track that one down when I go back. But I did spot the Transformers and the dinosaur that were at the junkyard that my brother visited when we were in Saskatoon. 

These particular items are made of JUNK. There are some very clever and creative artists out there. 

Transformer made from junk metal

Another Transformer made from junk metal

A globe made from junk metal

A dinosaur made from junk metal

On that note, I'm out of here. I'm hoping for another productive day. Well, let's just say that we'd better make it productive, not just hope. There are deadines!

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment