Friday, October 5, 2018

Day Five - Convention

It would appear that my iPad keyboard is toast for whatever reason. I was trying to use it last night and no go. Hmm - now that means another call to those Apple people. You just can't get ahead of fixing things. Thank goodness I had the laptop with me. I don't want to carry both in the future, but both have good things about them so I'll see.

Yesterday, which was also the last day of the convention, was a fabulous day. We started off with a class on Westalee rulers. Other than a brief stint with them the other day, I've never used those sets of rulers.  OH MY GOD - the class was so much fun and I learned a ton. I never thought I'd be happy using the rulers on a domestic machine, but honestly there's a place for them and I'm super excited to get back to my machine quilting class (table runner class that's all about free motion) and tell them what I learned. For I learned several very important things about these rulers.

We only used two rulers in the class - the straight ruler and one of the circles. Lots of cool stuff can be done. And even though there were things in the class that I didn't agree with, as a good student, I kept my mouth shut.

So that was a super fun and informative class. The other nice thing is that the Westalee people are here so we got all week to ask them questions and ask away I did. Hmm - got to rethink a couple of things when I get home.

Off to lunch - I don't think I'll eat for three days when I get home and I've been really good.

The last class was the most fun. It was a class with Kimberbell. That's the name of the company, the owner is Kim and she's super fun. I LOVE all the Kimberbell products and want to make them all. Can you believe that even though I have tons of her patterns, I've never made a Kimberbell project before. Shame on me!!!!  AND - I must get my Scan n Cut out and learn how to use it properly. I'm missing out on a huge opportunity (time saver) if I don't. One more thing to learn!  And I'm serious  - does anyone want to do her Hello Sunshine quilt??  Can be done sewing or machine embroidery. I was thinking of using it as a quilt along. We were going to have a class at the Hobby Horse, and people signed up and then backed out. These projects are so super cute - you can't not want to make it. There's a Christmas one and a Halloween one. One lady in our class had made all three. ACK!!!

We did two in-the-hoop projects yesterday and despite the fact that I'd never done embroidery on the PFAFF Creative Icon, I managed just fine. Had to change the hoop size, find the design and even had to restart one of the stitching sequences (I did get help for that one). That means that embroidery on the Creative Icon is super easy!!!

We made one of her Sweet Feet designs (we also have all the designs on the CD - back to the library to convert that to my USB stick) and then we made a journal cover. They are super sweet. And we have TEN different journal covers to play around with. I just hope I can find those sizes of journal covers back home or it's a trip to the US to find journals to fit them.

Kim is just the sweetest person around and she had some new stuff here (I got the official e-mail) just as we were starting her class - now how timely is that?  And there will be new stuff at Quilt Market.

We finished right on time. Yeah!!! 

As sad as I am to have convention over, I'm happy. It's been a long five days, lots to take in and I've lots to digest when I get home. On top of the stuff I already have to do, I've got a class to teach tomorrow morning! I'd better be making myself some lists and get down to business making samples. A good activity for the plane ride home.

After the class, I popped out to the used bookstore. I only went to one. One of the three was closed and I picked the one that was closest to the hotel. It was the weird little maze of a bookstore. I was looking for books on ghosts of New Orleans. Sadly, they didn't have any. The owner said that as soon as those books come in, they are gone. I'll have to search the internet and see. The urge to read about them will likely fade once I get home. But you never know - I've always had a soft spot for that kind of stuff. Even though it's creepy. I wonder if I could stay in one of those boutique hotels whose claim to fame is that it's haunted? I probably wouldn't sleep a wink.

I walked down Bourbon street on my way back to the hotel. It was fairly calm but the drummer boys and Lulus were out in full force. Never a dull moment on that street.

We had our last dinner and then all the goodbyes. I chatted with a few people and then I was in the room trying to pack my suitcase. I picked up a few things along the way (including the four books I bought) so it was a wee bit of a challenge, but I got everything in! I'm an excellent packer. I'm also an excellent traveler. There is NOTHING extra in my suitcase. Oh I lie - I brought SIX shirts to wear thinking we were at convention for six days, but in fact, I only needed five! I listened to a colleague and brought an umbrella (which I would NEVER even think of) and of course, the event was all in the same hotel so why would I need an umbrella. In future, I listen to my gut when it comes to what to pack. NO checked luggage for me, although this suitcase is now going to be a wee bit heavier to heave into the overhead bins, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm certainly in the minority here at these kinds of conventions. At one class, we got a T-shirt. Not sure that I'll wear it, but maybe I will. There were 7 different piles of shirts. The 4XL, the 3XL, the 2XL, the XL, the L, M, and S. The S pile was the smallest and that's what I got. Yes, the clientele at these conventions/Quilt Markets are - well - I'm not going to say, but I think you all get the idea. I only have my mother to thank for what happened to me!

I'm on my own this morning for breakfast, but I had a chat with the concierge last night about getting to the airport - cabbing it as it's going to be way easier than the shuttle (and only slightly more expensive). Instead of breakfast in the hotel, he suggested a place across the street that serves a good breakfast for $5. I'm there!

Just have to pack my tech toys in my backpack and I'm all set to get to the airport. It's going to be a long day - travel days are always long, but I've downloaded all kinds of sewing machine reference books, user manuals, embroidery software manuals and other learning material to keep me entertained. Plus I have my paperback book to read. It's going to be just fine!

On that note, I'd better get dressed and get to breakfast.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment