Friday, October 12, 2018

The lost art of cooking


I know the title of this post does NOT coincide with me and my reluctance to cook! For years I was happy to make a stop at Tim's for breakfast, for snacks, for lunch or whenever I needed something to eat. If it wasn't Tim's, it was somewhere else. Not that I was a fast food junkie, but I was quite happy to leave the house with NOTHING to eat in my possession and forage along the way. Some days, everything I ate came from outside my house. Now, how silly, unhealthy and expensive is that?

Since my lifestyle changes earlier this year, it's rare that I leave the house without my snacks. I've been taking my lunch to Monday sewing for a long time (which I NEVER did). The reason I'm telling you this is that even at the CreativFestival, I bring my own lunch. Why? Because it's way healthier and I'm NOT going to fall back to my old habits. I'm just not!

It's funny how all those convenience foods are what fatten us up. So we have more time, but we're less healthy. Well, in a matter of a few minutes this morning (basically while my breakfast was cooking), I've got my food lined up for the day.

Actually, it's all my food consumption for the day except for dinner tonight.

On the left is my bowl of steel cut oats, with some almond milk, a banana chopped into the oatmeal and two slices of turkey bacon. A bottle of water for the road. I'm already on my second glass of water this morning. There's a peach cut up in the larger container, almonds, and yogurt covered raisins in the small container and for the "main course," I have a wrap with ham and cheese. Hold the butter and mayo and whatever. The wrap doesn't need it. This way you can taste the ham and Havarti cheese. The only thing I forgot to add was my two Simple Pleasures cookies which I'll add before I leave. Yes - I get it that the cheese is very high in fat and the yogurt raisins have sugar, but it's all within the acceptable range of my food guide. Just!

Breakfast, lunch, and snacks for one day

That's it - that's what I get to eat all day!!!!  But you know what? I'm good with that. I'm not hungry and no need to spend money to buy expensive junk food or even more expensive healthy food while I'm out. Takes a few minutes to prep. Can you believe I said that?  I was the queen of convenience!!!  No longer - it's time to make and maintain lifestyle choices and it's time that we live for our health. The grocery stores would wither up and die if everyone shopped like me.


I belong to two modern quilt guilds and I'm looking after the charity quilts for both. Of course - why do one quilt, when you can do two quilts!!  I can't make the meeting this Saturday and couldn't make the meeting last night. After some quick math and a few e-mails, I got kits ready to be handed out on Saturday. Both quilts will look totally different and yet made from the same fabrics. How long have I sat on that fabric waiting to figure out how to cut it up for the kits. It's amazing when you have run out of time. In mere minutes, that fabric was cut and made into kits. The instructions have been added and someone is picking them up today for delivery tomorrow. A huge thanks fo Faiza for making that happen!

Kits ready for the QuiltCon Charity Quilt



I'll have to mail the other kits out as I just didn't get a chance to get those done and I wasn't driving all the way to that meeting after being at CreativFestival all day.

I took the toll highway to the CreativFestival to make sure that I would be there on time. I arrived a half hour early and sat in the car reading my book. I read 20 pages and finished the book off when I got home. It was very strange - but I liked it. Just a weird style of writing for this genre of book.

The day at the CreativFestival seemed to fly by. If I wasn't changing bobbins or rehooping fabric, I was chatting to customers, demoing machines (I love that best) or chatting to people who stopped by to say hello. And there were lots who stopped by!!!  I love these shows so that I can catch up with what's going on. It was great fun! I didn't even get a chance to pop out and shop. OK - I took a wee peek in the booth next to us but that was it. Some GREAT half priced kits. I was tempted but didn't buy. If anyone is looking for Crabapple Hill Block of the Month kits - these are HALF price. Older ones, but still - all the patterns and the fabric!!!!  A great deal! I'm still tempted, but I have so many of her patterns already that are waiting to be stitched.

Even though I technically don't need anything, I have set myself a budget - I can spend that much. There are a few things that I'm going to look at today or tomorrow. The first day is always the busiest. I'll let you know what I find. I know of two things that I want - one is expensive and one is not. Hmm - got to think about that expensive item. Hopefully, they have a show special.

I haven't had a chance to read this article yet, but have a look at the picture at the very end. That's my quilt pattern!!!  While I love to make quilts, I also like to see my patterns made by other people. I can't way to read the article. Looks very interesting. And thanks to everyone who has ever made one of my patterns. You should send me pictures as I'd love to post the pictures!!!!

On that note, I'd better get myself in gear. Lunch is made, I'm half dressed, but the girls - well, they're still waiting and not happy.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having a crazy busy time Elaine....like usual! Hope you are having fun at Creative Festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa -- yep - it's always crazy busy. I'd die otherwise!

      Delete