Wednesday, October 10, 2018

A Tribute to Amy Butler


The quilting industry is in constant flux with shops opening and closing (more closing than opening - I think) and designers come and go.

Amy Butler has decided to call it quits with the quilting industry. If you remember, Amy was one of the designers for FreeSpirit and all that mess that happened last year.

I truly believe that Amy played a huge part in what we call "modern" fabric today. Although I was never a huge fan of her fabrics or her patterns (just not quite my style), I did make some things using her creations.

The first was this bag called the Weekender Bag. And if you check out that link, you can read all about my experience making this bag. NO - the bag is still not finished, but since I'm looking for quick projects to finish before the end of the year, the zipper just needs some hand stitching. I could very easily do that!

My other experience with Amy Butler was with one of her first fabric collections. I think I bought the collection at Greenwood Quiltery (which is now closed). Now you know how it is - we have a tendency to buy fabric and then we don't use it. However, I did make two quilts from the FQ bundle that I bought or what it two bundles? I don't remember and I can't find the blog post where I made the quilts.

I do remember that I worked on them at one of our retreats - many, many years ago. The reaction from my group - that fabric is awfully busy (their words were much harsher!!).

Anyway, I made two quilts, neither of which is quilted. I don't even remember which pattern I used - it could have been one included with the bundles. Actually - it might have been a kit that I bought and there was probably enough fabric to make two quilts. I bet that's what it was. Hmm - do you see why we should include the pattern/instructions with the quilt if it isn't quilted? And why a label is important??

This was the fabric collection. Belle by Amy Butler for Rowan fabrics. It was her FIRST collection for quilters. See I've been "modern" for YEARS.

Belle by Amy Butler
Here are both the quilts. The backing and binding are made for both of them. 


Two quilts, both with binding and backing

See how busy those prints are????   Wow!!!


Busy prints

And here's one of the quilt tops. They're identical except for the placement of the fabric.


Quilt top with Amy Butler fabric

I've no idea what year this was, but I'm going to guess around 2005/2006???  You can still find some of this collection in an Etsy shop online.

I should get my butt in gear and get those two quilts quilted so I could really enjoy them, but my pleasure was in sewing the tops. Now that my pleasure has moved on to quilting the tops, I should get at least one of them done. It does have a good story (and I have a bit of research to do) - I won't repeat what the ladies said about the fabric (how old-fashioned they were!) but I'd tell it as a story in a trunk show. Hm - I need to get one of these done and it should be in my modern trunk show. OK - there's an incentive to NOT put one of the quilts back in the tubs.

That's my tribute to Amy Butler. While I haven't done a lot with Amy's fabrics or patterns, I truly appreciate what she did for the "modern" quilt industry. She made huge inroads and laid the groundwork for what we have today.

Enjoy your retirement, Amy!!!

And on that note, I'm out of here. I've got a crazy busy day - set up for a trade show. My most favorite (NOT!) day of any show.

Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment