Monday, April 8, 2019

Event Day - number two


I'm staying with M while I'm in Vancouver and I have to say that her apartment is perfectly positioned for travelling around the city. My event yesterday was in the opposite direction from where the first one was and it was about the same distance. Of course, being Sunday morning, there was no traffic. All in all, it was the perfect location. Thanks to M, James, and most of all Little Bear for entertaining me.

Little Bear is currently sitting on my lap after having cuddled up with me every night on the sofa. Oh, now his head is resting on my arm as I'm trying to type. I think he feels bad knowing I'm leaving this morning and wants some love because of course, he doesn't get enough at home. OK - so he's a suck!!!! Even without any hair, he's still cute.

I got to the store early yesterday to get set up. The shop owners are totally amazing. This is a family business that's been around for over 50 years. James grew up in the store and now he and his wife run the shop. Dad is still the "boss". It's the kind of store where you would want to go! Loads of inspiration in the store - I need to run home (OK - fly home) and fire up those embroidery machines. The shop is a PFAFF store called PFAFF on Granville. Check it out if you've never been before.

What was so funny is that there was a small sample of a word search puzzle done with the embroidery machine. I was chatting to Sabine about the quilt and she said that her inspiration was a quilt she saw in an ad for A Needle Pulling Thread. I said that was my quilt and that I had the original in the car. I brought it in and we had a super good laugh over that! It's all about sharing, getting inspired and making!!   If you want to see the quilt, click the link above and then click on the image of the magazine. Flip through the pages until you get to the table of contents. My word search puzzle is at the bottom of the page.

The two events went super well. A few more learning moments (for me) came up as well as a lot of exciting moments as the students experienced some of the stitches on the PFAFF Creative Icon. It truly is an amazing sewing machine and after many years of using strictly Husqvarna Viking, I'm loving the PFAFF with some of the totally creative stitch techniques. I'm still trying to figure out a good explanation as to why I would want one brand over another? I'm formulating that yet in my head. One day, I'll try to put it in words. I'm gathering data at the moment on that!!!  Just buy both!

I want to do a bit more research as well just for my sake. What's happening in the market with the other brands. So if someone is a superuser of a Bernina, Brother or  Janome, I'd like to have a chat with you and I'll be scouring the internet for more information as well. The more knowledge that I have, the more dangerous I become! I'm so my father's daughter with a thirst for more and more and learning all the time. I would say that M hasn't fallen far from the tree in that aspect either.

It was a long day. Imagine letting 10 people loose on a sewing machine that they've never used before and trying to make a completed project - all in three hours! We did it! A few had to leave right on time and so will finish off the project at home, but everyone mostly got it completed.

I shared with you a story about Judith and her husband who have sold their home and downsizing into an RV so they can travel across Canada in the coming year. Their deadline to move out of the house is May 1. They are starting the packing process - so jealous of their freedom (they will continue to work while they travel - not a possibility for me in what I do). Now if I were by myself, I could have shelves built the length of the RV and place sewing machines on the shelving/work surfaces. The fabric could be stowed underneath those work surfaces and the long arm down the middle. Hmm - a possibility???  Anyway, they have a Facebook page and I want pictures!!!!  And stories of their adventure so we can follow along as they cross this great country. I've been coast to coast to coast numerous times (well only once to the Arctic), but it's a great country and I can't wait to hear their version.

I'm flying home this morning and back to work tomorrow. No rest when there are deadlines and more events coming up. This weekend is the CreativFestival in Toronto. So we have to do the set up for that - oh yes - the totally fun part of the job. Not!!! 

And I have quilts to quilt and homework to prep so it's going to be total heads down for the next week. I guess I had better enjoy my downtime on the plane today in preparation for what's coming once I get off the plane.

M is off to school this morning so it didn't make sense to spend more time here. We had a great visit and I need to get home. But it was a fun way to spend a weekend. I'll miss the Monday sewing ladies - Oh - I should send them a text to say HI! With the time change, the early birds will already be at sewing and working hard.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment