Thursday, April 4, 2019

Trial by fire..............


Hmm - here's the definition of Trial by Fire.................

A test of one's abilities to perform well under pressure, as in Finishing this huge list of chores in time for the wedding is really a trial by fire. This expression alludes to the medieval practice of determining a person's guilt by having them undergo an ordeal, such as walking barefoot through a fire.

What do you think? Does that describe me???  I would say it suits me to a T.

Yesterday was a good case in point. Not only did I have a lot to get done, but the learning curve was HUGE. I won't go into all the details because it would show how much I've procrastinated!

Here's the gist of what happened. I became an educator for SVP Canada (Singer, Husqvarna Viking, PFAFF) one year ago. My job is to lead classes/lectures at dealers across the country for potential buyers of the Husqvarna Viking and PFAFF sewing machines. I'm pretty comfortable with the Husqvarna Viking line but was totally brand new to PFAFF and somewhat familiar with the software. So I've had a year to get myself up to speed and make samples.

I've done pretty well so far, but then a software class got thrown into the mix for this weekend. I wasn't planning on doing the software so soon so I had nothing prepped. Turns out I'm doing TWO PFAFF events this weekend, plus a software event and thankfully the fourth is quilting. Let's just say that I've had to scramble. This did not come as a last minute surprise, but there wasn't as much notice as I would have liked.

So what did I do yesterday? I'm learning the software so I can lead the class through the AMAZING features of the Premier Plus software. Thankfully same software for both brands - just branded differently.

What can I say - this software is amazing!!!  Is there anything that you can't create to stitch out?? I have a project sitting here for Ronda and you know what? I might have enough knowledge now to tackle her project!

Once the files were created in the software, it was time to stitch them out. Hm - I see I need a 150 by 150 hoop. For some reason, I don't have that hoop and the lack thereof made hooping this small T-shirt a wee bit of a challenge. But I managed.


Embroidering a T-Shirt

Then it was onto vinyl. Yep - I went from stretchy knits to embroidering vinyl. All required special hooping or stabilizing techniques. Nothing like stretching one's mind to the limit! My brain was quite exhausted by the end of the day!

Stitching on vinyl

The stack of samples grew as the day went on. Sadly, it's not as big as I would have liked it to be before the weekend, but you know what? It's going to have to suffice!

Samples for the weekend lectures

I saw a sample like this several years ago - OK - so many years ago and for the life of me, I couldn't get it figured out. Well, with the WIZARDS in the Premier + Software, it's a snap to make this. I made this one up all by myself!!!  Oh - what else can I do with that technique????

A sample of Word Sculpt

Thank goodness, I emptied Studio U of all extraneous stuff the other day. Cause it was getting ugly in there yesterday. There were stabilizers everywhere, all the thread boxes were out, the machines were fired up. The sun was pouring in the window and I actually was HOT! It was glorious!!!

The sewing space with two machines going at once

I also got the binding and the sleeve on that magazine quilt and it's now on its way to the US. I pulled out a stool and sat at the cutting table while I stitched on the sleeve. The sun was glorious. I may never be able to work in Studio B again!!!

Stitching on a binding


It's going to be weird for this series of classes/lectures. I have to get on a plane - that means I have to check luggage. I have a HUGE suitcase to carry my samples and supplies. I'm a wee bit leery - but it'll be fine. I just need to get packed today and I'm still stitching samples. I'll keep stitching until I have to close that suitcase to catch the flight tomorrow morning. All in a fun day's work!

I also have to finish my sample for the class that I'm teaching. It's very neat. I'll show you tomorrow.

I see Lexi posted on her blog this morning. She is blaming me for not helping her!!!

I'd better run - every minute is precious today!!!

Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment