Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Lilla show n tell


I stand corrected for our UFO club. I did, in fact, get an e-mail from Liz with her completed homework and her goal for April. And I received it two weeks ago. That fact just didn't register in my brain so I'll add her photos when I get back home and we owe her $10. That's great - we did, in fact, hear from everyone. Totally my mistake for missing out, but no harm is done.

I had lunch with some of the ladies attending our meetings. They work in one of the shops here. Oh boy - garment sewing is HUGE. What I love is that they actually have garment sewing guilds. Who knew? I'm so new to that side of the sewing world and well - let's just say that I found some very interesting ideas that I'll share with you at some point. My head is spinning.

Like most guilds, there are small groups that meet away from the main guild meeting and this particular group of ladies attend a UFO group. I'm not sure that it's so much a UFO group as it's a small group where people can meet, touch base with each other, get help from each other and have an intimate show n tell with their finished things.

Honestly, that's where my interest lies. While I appreciate a quilt guild of any size, my true interest is to attend a small group where everyone can get help or guidance because that is the agenda. No business stuff to take care of, no politics to deal with - just honest help and acknowledgment to each and every person. That's what my little UFO group is about and honestly, I love that format.

I'm doing some soul searching while I'm away and I need to refocus where I spend my time. My goals in life (or my sewing life) have changed over the last couple of years and I'm trying to maximize my time. It's all about spending time with like-minded people with similar goals. I've definitely found that in our UFO group.

One of the things that I'm trying to do is write a list of goals. I have lists of things that need to be done, but this is a goal list of what I want to spend my time doing. Hm - how do I say that properly? OK - so the list is a top view list of all the things that I'm involved in. The next step is to evaluate each activity and ask myself if I'm getting pleasure from each activity. If yes, then I find a way to fit it in my schedule. If the answer is no - then I find a way to get rid of the activity. I'll talk more about that another day. It's been an interesting exercise and I am making changes and moving my time slots around. Don't worry - UFO Group and Sit n Sew days are on the TOP of the list!

Anyway, it was a great day yesterday - learned a lot again. There's always something new to learn in this industry. I'm sure that I mentioned this a while ago, but I heard a comment one day (a couple of years ago), from a fabric industry person who insinuated that quilters of our generation are not very tech savvy. Well, I beg to differ. With all the technology available on some of these sewing machines with connections to the internet and sharing of files through clouds - he is so wrong. I told him that at the time, but I don't think he believed me.

The sewing industry is very high tech and which of us in the "older" generations doesn't have a smartphone or a tablet or some form of communication in the social media world? I'm blown away by what's becoming available to us and I really need to wrap my head around it all. I'm pretty much there, but then something new comes out and I need to add that to the learning curve.

I have to confess that I haven't sewn on my project for the weekend. I'll just have to do it on Friday once I arrive home. That's OK. It shouldn't take too long.

Today, I have pictures of Lilla show n tell for you. This is our ongoing class at Oh Look Fabric. I just love the way the blocks are coming together and so much fun to see the class grow as they work through the homework.

We'll start with Gisele's blocks. There were three blocks assigned for homework and the goal is to make four of each block. I forgot to ask if all the blocks were the same coloring - this is what I have pictures of. I love how she has changed up the backgrounds - some are gray, some are black. And don't you love that fussy cut band of the blue? Looks awesome.

Gisele's blocks

Next up is Cathy. Cathy is having a "blast" keeping the directional background print going in the right direction. For a relatively new sewist, she's doing an amazing job.


Cathy's blocks
She tried reversing the background with the focus fabrics and wasn't sure she liked it, but we like it. I think she was going to substitute some solid grey for the background to make some of the blocks easier to work with.

Reversing the background for one of Cathy's blocks

These are Kathy's blocks. Kathy has this crazy color combination that's wild but I love it. She not only has positive/negative happening, but she also has some background changes.

One set of Kathy's blocks
Here's one more of the blocks. The color combination is so vibrant that I want to see an entire quilt made from the black background and the yellow crosses.

Set two of Kathy's blocks
And here's the third set of Kathy's blocks.


Kathy's last set of blocks

Rita is fairly new to sewing as well and she's going crazy with her blocks. I love how everyone has added their small unique twist to the blocks.

Rita's block set number one
I think she tried every combination that the blocks could be in.

Block set number two
And here's her third set of blocks. Yep - she just winged these ones once she got the flying geese made. She was using up her scraps. You gotta love that and it's modern so why not?


Rita's third set of blocks
The last set of blocks in show n tell belong to Sara. I love how she used two different fabrics in these blocks. I'm not sure if it works, but wouldn't it be fun to have the fabrics "chase" each other. So there's a specific order in how they are placed? That's what I think of when I see these blocks. She didn't do that - but you could have!

Sara's block set number one
Here's her second set of blocks. I think there was a lot of wine or something one night. No red wine telltale stains on the blocks. Perhaps she was drinking white wine??


Sara's second set of blocks
And here's her final set of blocks.

Block set number three for Sara
I realize that I forgot to take a picture of my blocks for the month. I can do that when I get home and I'll post a picture of the next blocks as well.

Here's a couple of show and tells from the class. Gisele is working on this gorgeous modern quilt. It's very cool and I love the way the blocks are forming - the lines don't connect, but the block is very definite.


Gisele's partial quilt top
Sara got her quilt that she showed last month quilted. It looks awesome!!!! 


Sara's quilt - just needs binding
Isn't that exciting how the straight lines look absolutely perfect on those triangles? We get so caught up in fussy quilting when we don't have to. I love the look.

ACK  - I just looked out the window to give you a weather report. It's been cool and raining most of the time. Well, I see snow! That's not good! I want spring to be here. I want warm weather outside and it's snowing!!!!

Well, there you have it. Loads of fun is happening at our classes and that's really what it's all about.

On that note, I'm out of here.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment