Monday, April 15, 2019

A scrap of fabric saves the day!


What a fabulous day! Yes - even though we had rain. Who cares when you've got a couple of sewing machines? And you get to spend part of the day with friends.

I'm incredibly inspired by all the work that is getting accomplished in our UFO class. It was our monthly meeting yesterday and boy - the work is amazing. I'll try to edit those pictures and get them up for tomorrow. It's so exciting to see people fulfill their commitment and even work beyond what they said they would do. And there are speed bumps along the way, but instead of putting the project down to contemplate how to advance, they're moving forward! I can't wait to share with you what's been going on.

Once the group left, it was back to prepping for classes. I'm in pretty good shape although I'm not completely done. Of course, I can't share it with you. I think it's only fair that the students in each class see the work first and then you.

I'm off again for the week and then, thankfully, I'm home for quite a while. This is the last of five somewhat major events (or multi-day) events that required travel and it's been intense to keep ahead of everything that needed to be done. I'm in good shape and I feel pretty good about that.

Last night, we had a wee bit of thunder and lightning. Both girls were not happy so they got wrapped in their Thundershirts. I thought I would sleep on the couch to keep them company. I woke up at some point in the night and all was quiet, so I removed their Thundershirts (try taking a velcro jacket off a dog in the middle of the night and be quiet about that!) and went to bed. But I couldn't sleep.

So, I got up to work. I had some e-mails to send, some banking to do and some fabric cutting as well as throwing some last minute things that popped into my head into my sample suitcase.

A while back, I had pulled all the fabric for the next block in our North Star quilt by Elizabeth Hartman. I was cutting it last night and wouldn't you know it, I was short on one fabric. Hmm - if I swap with another fabric, I might be OK. Nope - even then a wee bit short.

I popped downstairs to the stash room to find something that would work. Let me browse the scraps first. Yes - I still owe you the videos of the stash room. This is how I store my scraps. Each color/category is stored in a separate clear shoe box. Yes - there's more than one box for some of the colors.

The scrap bin storage

I grabbed the appropriate color box that I was searching for and can you believe? Right on top was the EXACT fabric that I was looking for. There were two pieces that worked perfectly. It was meant to be. Within 1 minute of realizing that I was short, I had a match - a perfect match. That makes me happy knowing that organizing works! I've said it before, but once I organized those scraps by color, they became an extremely valuable resource.

Here's my traveling sewing kit. For those in the class, don't even bother looking closely at the picture to see which colors are in there. The main block fabric is NOT in the kit - at least not when the picture was taken!

Have kit, will travel and sew

My goal is to get that sewn at night after my events. The first two days of events are our events (not at a store) so I should have access to a sewing machine. If not, then when I get home, I'll be sewing like mad.

I got a chuckle when I turned off the lights. WHOA! What's that on the cutting table? OH - I have some glow in the dark pins in the pincushion!


Three glow in the dark pinheads


I did go back to bed after I got some work done and guess what? I dreamt of prepping projects!

I have to say that I'm LOVING what I do. I love the pace, I love the energy, I love the NEW NEW NEW. I'm just a busy person. Always have been, always will be. When I stop being busy, I'll be dead! I'm just like my parents. They both keep busy even in their 80's and technically have nothing to do all day. But they are busy! That'll be me as well when I'm their age.

On that note, I'd better get some clothes packed. The sample suitcase - packed. The backpack with all the technology - packed. The clothes suitcase - not even started. No big deal. It doesn't take long - I'm a light packer.

I did find a luggage tag for my sample suitcase. It comes down the carousel and I've no idea that it's mine. Now I'll know without having to open it.

Luggage tag


The other thing I need to find is my luggage scale. I know I have one, but where? No idea. OK - so I'm not 100% organized. I thought I knew where it was, but alas it wasn't there. So I had to trick my Aria scale which is connected to my FitBit. I didn't want it to think that I had suddenly gained 50 pounds! I think I'm good. I hope I'm good!

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm curious about how you store scraps by colour. What do you do with a print that has an equal amount of 2 or more colours? That's my dilemma, so I sort by size. But that means I have to cut it to size before I put it away. 12 days to pack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12 days!!!! ACK!!!!! You can do it!!! I do have a bin for those multis but for the most part I look at it and say - that's mostly green. I pick the first color that comes to mind when I view the scrap! Elaine

      Delete
    2. Okay, that's what I'm going to do. I think I'll do the same with my bigger pieces of fabric (fat quarters and bigger). Pack them according to colour. That's a good way to have my Mother help. She wants to help pack but I wasn't sure I knew how I was going to pack the quilt room up.

      Delete