Saturday, April 27, 2019

Where to buy older prints


I spent most of the day in the car! But the patient is home and happy to sleep in her own bed! I took her on the scenic route home yesterday - yep - got chatting and then realized that I missed the turn and well, it took longer to get home. I'm sure she was saying in her head - "for god's sake - just get me home so I can go to sleep!". But no - a trip with me - well you never know what can happen.

Then it was back home where I had a private session with a student of mine. I'll share that with you tomorrow.

I did manage to get a few things done but today - I'm going to share the rest of the pictures that I took earlier this week.

I've always said that if you're looking for some older fabrics, you need to go to Lens Mill. It probably doesn't matter which location you go to. They often buy the remainder of bolts that are languishing in the fabric warehouses. They get them at a good price and depending on what they are - it can be a good deal or not. Perhaps these two fabrics I'm about to show you weren't such a great deal. And yes - for the record, I went back again yesterday. Three days in a row!!!!

So you see that pale yellow fabric with the parasols on it? I bought that fabric - probably from Lens years ago. I'm talking over 10 years at least! They still have a pretty full bolt of the darn stuff!!! Just saying.............


The pale yellow fabric was printed eons ago

Now it's probably not the same bolt. If they bought the stuff on clearance, they could have bought 20 bolts of the darn stuff. It wasn't likely a hot seller.

Same thing for this fabric below. See the pale blue with the water tower on it? I know - first off -who designed that????  And why????  Well, I bought some for my novelty print stash. I still have the piece I bought and they have it with a blue background and also yellow I think.

Water tower fabric anyone???

Here's the rest of the stuff that I bought. I did splurge and buy 1 whole meter of this print. My vision for this? Put fusible on the back and cut out those letters individually. It's perfect  - the letters do not overlap, there won't be that much waste and I can get some cool things made with it. Oh yes - I have a vision! I won't share more than that for the moment.

Alphabet fabric that I bought

OK -- so I couldn't help myself when I saw this. I had to buy some. I only got a ½ meter. But it's a brilliant acid green stretch fabric. When the lady was cutting it and I said that I didn't need a huge piece, she asked me "why - don't you want a body suit out of this?" We got a good chuckle out of that. Nope - I have another use for stretchy fabric these days. Heck - I might even fire up the embroidery machine today and see what happens in the "gecko birthing room!".  It's super brilliant.


Green stretchy fabric

I also bought some screening. I've been looking for this. Now I have some. And now I need to get myself busy and come up with something cool with this.

Screening

It's very soft and pliable. Hmmm - could be used for numerous things.


When I was sitting in the OR waiting room earlier this week, I glanced up and saw this. Hmm- that's a weird place to find this. I think I mentioned this quilt on my blog a while back. Well - that took a few minutes but I found the link.


A Canadian Quilt

They also had a framed copy of the story of the quilt beside the poster. Here's the story - not sure if you can read it. I must have a copy around the house somewhere.


The Story of the Canadian Quilt


I wonder where the quilt is now? At CBC downtown????  Anyone know?  Hmm - is it still hanging downtown? If so, I think a road trip is in order to get a picture!!!

I have one private quilt class today at my house and then I'm free the entire day. And nothing quilt related tomorrow either!!! I love it!!! The weather is too cold to be out in the garden, so I guess it's a guilt-free quilt day!!!

Oh - so I haven't really put Alexa to the test, but yesterday I did ask her what's my next appointment and she told me! How cool is that!!!!

I only accomplished two of the three things that I set out to do yesterday, but I did other stuff instead - that was all about timing and availability yesterday. I need to add one more thing on today's list of three and then get them done! I have too many things to do to not get three things done in a day!

Have a super day!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I think the water tower was part of a line of farm fabric. I made a table runner for a friend out of a few of the fabrics. And I remember that quilt. We were the group in Ottawa who worked on it! Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey - do you still have time to be on the internet?? Aren't you supposed to be madly packing? That's so cool to finally find someone who worked on that quilt. ET

      Delete