Thursday, July 18, 2024

All waxed up!!

The weather is just totally insane. Earlier this week, we had high humidity and hot temperatures. I'm wearing my sweatshirt this morning, and it's only 14 outside. Zero humidity. I'm not complaining—I can put on more clothes, but it changes so much from day to day that you don't know what to wear! 

Sadly, we are leaving later today. I'm not ready!!! I have a lot of stuff to do at home, so I guess I'm good to go. Plus, those two girls will be very excited to see me. 

I've been up early and already at work. I've got all the flying geese for the 365-day quilt trimmed and ready to sew together in a border around the center block. How exciting is that! Before finishing that task, I have to make the four corner blocks. I won't have time this morning, but who knows what I'll get to when I get home. 

Trimming quilt components


I downloaded an audiobook, put on my headphones, and trimmed early in the morning. In addition to trimming those flying geese, I decided to work on the bag of half-square triangles, and my goal is to finish trimming them before I leave. Why not get the darn things done? I want to say that I'm halfway through. I made good progress so far, and that's all that counts. 

We had a good laugh yesterday when one of the ladies pulled out a UFO. Look at the detailed notes she had in her box. 

Detailed instructions for a UFO


And then look at this. There was a note, but all it did was bookmark the pattern in the book!! 

No instructions - just a bookmark!


If there is one, most of my notes look like the second example! I need to change that because no one will know what it's all about if I don't finish a project. 

We stopped at the used bookstore yesterday, and I hit the jackpot. I had 31 books on my list, and I found 11 of them, many from before 2000. 

Inside the bookstore

Like many used bookstores, it's a maze but extremely well organized. The name is CTR Books (Orangeville), and the owner is amazing. I had a list by author and title, and she had everything on the computer for those I couldn't find by myself. She had to dig in a box in the back for one of the books—I think that was the one from 1967! She's very knowledgeable and very helpful. 

And YES—I can return books to her, so I'm going home to unpack those donation boxes. I should have brought them with me. DRAT!!!! They have sales in February, June, and October, so I might wait and come up in October to return the others! 

They only take cash, so now I owe everyone in my group! Thank goodness for them and their emergency funds!

While we were there, someone spotted this old tractor! Oh my—we had to stop, and I took pictures and sent them to my dad. This is a Rumley tractor manufactured in Indiana. It's pretty old, but it has been refurbished. 


A Rumley tractor


OK -- so when we got back and had a quick bite, we were ready for our afternoon adventure, and this was the setup. 

Setup to make waxed food wraps


We were making beeswax food wraps. Since none of us had made them, we had no idea how it would go. It ended up being a group exercise as we helped each other. They had to go in and out of the oven, and it was hilarious as we had timers going off and dancing around each other to keep the production line going. 

Waxed food wraps in progress


We had borrowed a melter for the wax, which worked like a charm. 

The wax melter

We worked as a team to let the wax harden on the fabric. 



Having fun with waxed food wraps

In the end, we each made 8 wraps, and I used up all the fabric I cut. Yeah!!! That was very cool, and I'd make them again. It helped that we could borrow all the equipment from someone who makes these and sells them. 


Our finished wraps

I've been drinking Yogi tea for a couple of weeks, and only yesterday did I realize (after someone mentioned it) that all the tea bags have a wee saying on them. Who knew!!!!

The saying on the tea bag


Finally, we got back to sewing, and I finished the quilt top. That was great. Then, I started on the next project, which I can't share because it's going into a magazine. 

Another quilt top - DONE



Wow—I love quilting retreats. I love getting together with friends and doing things we don't normally do, like taking little side trips. It's all a great feeling. Thanks to all my retreat friends!!!

I have some retreats booked for 2025 and know I'll have spots open. So, if you are interested, please let me know. The retreats are all booked for near New Hamburg in Ontario. elainetheriault@gmail.com

I've been keeping up my walking and walking more than my daily goal of 12.7 km. I'm a little bit behind, so the extra will take me closer to getting ahead. Hopefully, I can drop that daily goal, but I've got to work to make that happen. 

Well, I'm off for the morning walk, so I can sew before I leave!!!

Have a super day!!

Ciao!!!





2 comments:

  1. Is there a source for the instructions on making Waxed food wraps? I do have a supply of beeswax from my dad and granddad who both raised bees for the honey. So I am thinking this might be a good way for me to use some up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are multiple ways to do it, but all of them involve cookie sheets and the oven. The cookie sheets can never be used for food after. We used a small wax melting pot or a crock pot, but again, can never be used for food. If you Google how to make them, you'll find many recipes and methods. Our wax had beeswax, pine resin and hohoba (sp???) oil in it.

      Delete