Thursday, July 25, 2024

Be prepared!!!

Oh, I did not throw that dead skunk into a neighbor's yard!!! I have a large woodlot (my forest) behind my house, and the skunk will decompose and return to the land in a safe and friendly environment! I do NOT dispose of garbage over the fence. I should have been clearer on that, but I assumed (and we all know what happens with that) that everyone who is a regular reader knows I have a natural woodlot behind me. 

Someone said it would smell. I've seen and smelted enough dead animals in that forest—we've lived here for 23 years. And yes, you will smell the decomposition for a day or perhaps two. I have to say that bugs are pretty efficient and will clean up a carcass in no time. 

It's not to be gross, but it's a fact of life. We've seen some dead animals along the path that we discovered because of the smell. So, as morbid as it sounds, I would check them out daily. Yep, the smell is gone within a day or two, and the inside of the carcass is gone (and not because of scavengers) within three days. All that remains is a flattened shell of bones and outer skin. 

So -- please do not call it disgusting to put the skunk over the fence! He went to his natural habitat and had he died on the other side of the fence, it would have equated to the same thing! I'm very opinionated but I'm not disrespectful!

Apologies for not making it clear that I put the skunk IN THE FOREST, not into a neighbor's backyard!


I actually accomplished stuff yesterday. OK, I do stuff every day, but I'm getting through the pile of bindings. Here's one more that is done. Oh, and I got the binding on another small project, which I can't share at the moment. 

Binding - DONE


And I got the binding on this one as well. 

Another binding - DONE


But not without some excitement!! Can you believe what I found on the back? 


A gold thread!!



Yep—that is one of those tiny gold threads! Who knew I would still be finding them so many years after I ripped that project apart? Those gold threads are like glitter!!!

And I got lucky with the binding. See how much I had left after I joined it? 

Just enough binding

That leaves two quilts to put the binding on. One is mine, and one is a donation quilt. I hope to work on them today. 


Two quilts left to bind



I have the next quilt loaded on the long arm, and I'll get to it this afternoon. 

I'm trying to get Studio B cleaned up. Well, it's clean, but there are a few things sitting around that I haven't quite had the time to put away. I still needed to go through the last of four boxes of novelty fabric, and last night seemed like a good time. 

Repacking the novelty print box

So all of this has to go into that box!!!! 


What needs to be packed in the box


I got a chuckle as I spotted this fabric. How appropriate!!!

Skunk fabric


Look what else I discovered! Olympic fabric. Technically, it's not Olympic fabric because it would cost too much in royalties, but it looks like Olympic fabric. That must be 20 years old!!!


"Olympic" fabric

However, I finally found the remainder of the Scrabble fabric, which is why I was searching through those boxes. There are four pieces, and now I need to determine if I want to get rid of some of them. That's a job to see later this afternoon. I love how I found one piece in the first box I chose and the other three pieces in the final box. 


Scrabble fabric

When Murphy and I returned from the morning walk, DH wanted to know why she was wet. Well, Murphy LOVES the neighbor's sprinklers and plops herself down and tries to drink from them. Yes, this is not good when she was recently sprayed by a skunk because when dry, she smells OK. But when wet, she stinks again! But we love her so much that I don't mind. I need a video of this next time, not just a picture. 

MOM -- I LOVE the sprinkler


So, while watching a video, I decided it was time to paint those little display cases for my tea sets. Coat number one is on!

Painting the displays for the tea sets

Other stuff happened, but that's enough for today. Oh, I washed those quilts that need to be mailed, and I'll pack them up and mail them tomorrow. 

This is partially why our healthcare system is broken. I went to have an ultrasound on my shoulder. I walked into the clinic and spotted a sign asking me to have the health card and requisition ready. OH, CRAP -- I forgot the requisition at home. But I knew I had another test on that requisition, which was scanned when that other appointment was done. Do you think I could remember what it was? The registration person was like a deer in headlights. She couldn't find anything. However, her colleague said it was probably for an X-ray of the shoulder. Yep -- that was it and it was found. 

That was NOT smart on my part—I had forgotten about the requisition—but the day was saved. However, what if that requisition couldn't be found? Well, I arrived early, and my doctor was upstairs. I'm sure I could have scrambled and got another one. 

However, as I waited, two ladies came in. They were to have ultrasounds that required drinking lots of water. Had they drank their water? Yes, but one said she had to let some out because she couldn't hold it. Well, we'll see if they can do the test. The other one responded that she had drunk some, but not all. Seriously??? So, those slots were taken up with people who likely would NOT be able to have a successful test. Then, new ones would have to be rescheduled. 

We have all suffered through those mind-blowing moments when our bladders are so full that we think we will explode, but we don't! Perhaps they got lucky! 

It was a good lesson to all (me included) to go to the clinic PREPARED!!!!! 


Here are the links for the Virtual Retreat this weekend. 


Saturday, July 27 - Starts at 6 PM


Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89816483795?pwd=Mjc3M3pvVmZPdjdsQzlHS3Zhck52dz09

Meeting ID: 898 1648 3795
Passcode: 248667


Sunday, July 28 - Starts at Noon


Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82983517671?pwd=ODdsa1FJenQwdFNaQWFTNGd4bEhPZz09

Meeting ID: 829 8351 7671
Passcode: 117636




Virtual Retreats are always fun, and we usually get a lot done while chatting with our peers. I look forward to seeing you this weekend.


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I thought you were clear yesterday about the skunk NOT being thrown in another yard. "Dust to dust".

    Happy Thursday! I'm trying to decide what to do with 5 fabric samples from the same line that have conflicting color........maybe send them to someone else? 🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL --- Yep -- I thought so too, but you never know! People are so hasty to judge and so HASTY in nasty comments, where a much gentler tone would have sufficed.
      As for the samples -- off with their heads!! If you have no use, let someone else deal with them!
      Happy Friday!

      Delete
  2. I live on a farm to the north of your current retreat house. And I love skunks. They are notoriously near-sighted (as am I) so that's why they spray first and question later. I had one who came for chow with my barn cats. As long as I made lots of noise, she did not offer me any perfume. The last time I saw her, she was old & limping - and she had her last little skunk by her side. I'm sad she's gone and I'm sad for your skunk. But being a farmer, I also am on your side re composting of dead animals. Too bad the politically correct police have found you, Elaine. Don't take it personally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes -- the circle of life is sad, but there isn't room on the planet for us all! The poor skunk probably didn't know what hit it and was probably minding its own business! OH -- we'll have to come visit or you'll have to come visit us at the next retreat! Always fun to meet new people. And no -- I'm learning to have a thick skin! Thanks for the comment! Elaine

      Delete