Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Travel Day

 Instead of getting stuff ready for tomorrow or getting some sleep, I'm instead sitting at my "computer" and blogging. Don't worry - it's as much for me as it is for you!

I had an over night flight from Toronto to Madrid. I was extremely fortuate that my ticket was upgraded to Business Class, so I got the use of the lounge before I left and the flatbed for the flight. 

Theh flight was 10:55 PM and we pushed away froom the gate at 10:55 PM. Last year, my flight to Paris was delayed and was loading right beside a flight to India. It was chaos. This was quiet and very civilized. 

We had dinner on the plane, but I wasn't hungry as I had something to eat in the louge and I wasn't really fond of anything on the menu. I really wasn't hungry. I grabbed the eye mask as soon as the seat belt sign was off, I was in dream land. It was a pretty comfortable bed and I only got up once to go to the washroom. 

It was quiet as a mouse on that flight. I woke up when I heard them serving breakfast and found they had already arranged my tray table as I had asked. I had asked to be woke for breakfast. Good thing I had breakfast because I didn't eat much the rest of the day. 

I had to check my backpack because of the walking sticks, but all was good and I was soon on my way to get to the Madrid train station. Although I had been there before, I had forgotten how to get there. 

Oh yes --- take a bus to Terminal 4 from Terminal 1 and catch the train. So I got the bus to Terminal 4. Then I had to remember how to get the high speed train. That train station is still under major renovations on the top floor, but at last I found the place. I saw there was a train a 13:03, but it was 12:50 and I wasnˋt going to make it. 

The line was long, and I asked a young girl. You can buy online she says, so she set it up on my phone and soon I had an electronic ticket for the train which was leaving at 14:58. 

So I had a two-hour wait when all I wanted to do was sleep. The train station was noisy, hot, and crowded. I spotted a man with a Camino sign on his packback but he didn't speak english, but he was on the same train, so we stood together. 

But not before, I tried sitting on the floor for a bit. I tried reading, I ate the yogurt from my breakfast. OH - I threw in one last minute packing item - a spork. There are times when that comes in handy. I'm glad I threw it in, as it would have looked a bit off if I had licked the yogurt from the container!!!

When taking the train, you must wait to see what platform you need to get on. The first year I was in Europe, that threw me off. But I got the hang of it now. However, the departure time came and went and no train. As a matter of fact, there were NO trains. And the crowds got bigger and the station got hotter. I just prayed no one fainted, After about 40 minutes, a platform was announced and we all rushed to the gate. 

Now can you tell me why when there is this narrow passage and people have been standing around for at least an hour, that people decide they need to wade upstream through the crowd? Go around for heaven's sake. 

The ticket agents were on the platform and one lady decides to avoid them. No idea why - the young female ticket agent didn't any flake from the older woman and yelled at her to stop, which she did. Good grief - we have assigned seating!!!!

That train ride was about two hours long, but now late and we arrived in Leon shortly after 6 PM. I gathered my things and started to walk to the old part of Leon, where the cathedral is and where the albergues are and where the Camino passes through. 

I found an albergue and I swear, it is not busy!!! They have a dormitory and rooms for three. I got a room for three to myself (paid extra) because I think Iˋm going to need a good nights sleep and itˋs very hot, with no AC, so Iˋguessing clothing and covers might be otpional. Not that you wanted to know that, but itˋs a reality on the Camino. 

Sleeping in the dormitory requires a bit more decorum. And I can get all my stuff  organized so itˋs easy to find. 

I also have my own bathroom, so thatˋs good. I better enjoy this day of luxuries because tomorrow I walk and itˋs going to be hot!


I walked to the cathedral and there are loads of people. I wanted to get a photo in front of the LEON sign, but there were too many people sitting on it. Oh well. 

Then I went to find a place to eat. There are loads of restaurants as this is a very tourist area. OK -- so ordering off a Spanish menu is interesting. I saw the words salmon and salad and that was fine with me. Only to discover it also contained a cold poached egg. ACK!!!!! Thank god I ordered bread with it and I managed to eat it. It actually wasnˋt nearly as bad as I though it would be!!!!

I also had two cokes. They were small, but very refreshing. I will endulge for the duration of the trip and then Iˋll be off it again. I did not spot those pastries yet, but letˋs see what the mmorning brings. 

Travel days are always interesting and full of learning experiences. What did I learn? If you don't know something - ask. I find the Spanish train stations are filled with people to help and even if they speak broken English, it's enough to get you to the next step. 

I've learned that patience is important. If you get angry or frustrated, you are only ruining your day, so let it go My goal was to arrive tonight and I did, just a bit later than planned, but it didn't change anything. And lastly -- you must enjoy the moment. I am the one who wanted to do this trip and if I get mad or frustrated at everything, Iˋm only ruining my vacation. 

Those little things are character buildiing and they make me a better person. 

My one sentence for my Happiness Journal: Business Class travel is great  -especially for a night flight. A long travel day, but only one major delay which today is GOOD. 

I donˋt have a spell or grammar checker and itˋs very hard to go back and edit, so hopefully, you can make sense of what I wrote. 


Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment