Sunday, July 26, 2015

Salt Spring Island


Good thing that I am flexible.  This vacation is not exactly what I was thinking it would be.  I don't want to go into all the details, but it is very frustrating.  As I lay in bed this morning, I think I came to the realization of a couple of things. It doesn't matter what we say, my mother will find an excuse. Not now, too tired or whatever. So I am NOT going to worry one iota about any of the stuff in this house. It can stay here and rot for all I care.  I  just want her out and that is going to happen probably sooner than later.  She also needs a lecture on reality but I don't think that is going to help.

Bottom line, she is still in hospital and probably will be for several more days. The big question is whether she will ever come home. I think (OK - I know) that we are at the stage where I have to become the parent, but that transition is going to be very hard. And the fact that I am only here for a few days isn't going to help, but my timing was good to get things started.

Oh - and boy do I ever value the peace and quiet of HOME. My Dad is just like me - he has the gift of gab and very hard to blog while he is talking!!!!   But he has to read EVERYTHING out loud that he sees on the computer.  ACK!!!!!   Patience - deep breath, deep breath!!!!

Anyway - enough of that.  Here are some more pictures of Salt Spring Island.


The Treehouse Restaurant in SSI
 I've had lunch there many times, but no time this year. There is always next year.

Mermaid statue in Ganges Harbour
 These stones are in the area surrounding the statue.  And have names on them for people who have passed away. Unfortunately the markings are rubbing off the stones because of wear and tear.


Paving stones with names of loved ones
 No trip to Salt Spring would be complete without a visit to Stitches - the local quilt shop.  This is the third location for the shop.  This one is not my favourite location, but it is nice and roomy.  The bad news?   The shop is for sale.   Anyone wanting to move to a quieter pace of life????


Stitches Quilt shop


There is a great artisan market on Saturday, but I wasn't there in time to get to it.  Wasn't thinking when I booked my ticket. It is a great way to see the local art work. There is also a nice variety of people with produce, canned goods, etc.  The Saturday market has grown considerably over the years. And now there is a veggie market on Tuesday.

The veggie market
 On the way home from town, we saw a deer.

A beautiful deer crossed the road while we were driving home
 My aunt has some pretty cool kitchen stuff that she has collected over the years.  After Uncle Joe went and picked blackberries, Yvonne made a pie.  She has the coolest pie plate which used to be my grandmothers.

Black berry pie - and what about that pie plate. 

The pie plate has a huge lip on it to catch the juices.  Now that makes a whole lot of sense. 
 I don't make pie, but I want a plate like that!!!!


And her cool pie lifter
But look at this potatoe masher.  It is just adorable.


Teeny tiny potatoe masher  (that is a teaspoon)
And a juicer!!!!!
I know she has other cool stuff, but that is what we found very quickly one night!!!!!


Here are our fresh pototoes from Jim.  I believe these are called Russian fingerlings.  They are quite mealy and would require a LOT of butter and sour cream to give them a better texture.  I liked the taste and we made pototoe salad out of them.  That is what Jim recommended because they are so mealy.


Fresh potatoes
 As I said, Yvonne is always cleaning and came across this letter.  You will have to click the picture to get it large enough to read.  This is how jokes were sent in the 1950's.


A joke in the form of a letter
 M bought this little worry doll for Yvonne many many years ago.  Hey M - do you remember????


Worry doll


As part of our cleaning, we had some slides of my grandfathers that needed going through.  He took copious amounts of pictures (not like anyone I know) and the big question is what to do with them all.  I think my Dad and Yvonne went through some before, but there was lots left.  So we set up this little light table.


Light table

Purchased slides from the 1965 Pasadena Parade

Got a bag and started to pitch

And filled the bag by the end of the hour

There was a small amount of slides with people in them. My Dad now has them and he will decide what to keep (by scanning into the computer) and what to toss.   Oh joy -  if you have stuff around your house - start cleaning now. This house (my parents) is a nightmare which at this point, only a match could remedy!!!!!

Then Yvonne and I did a BAD thing.  We snuck off the Island for a quick trip to Vancouver Island to do some row by rowing!!!!!   It's a long story, I won't get into it, but let's just say that as people age - they change. Nuff said!!!!

Anyway - the darn ferry was about 20 minutes late.


The ferry to Chemanius

A cool blue cruiser - looked like a Radler, but what do I know

On the ferry!!!


We managed to get to the two stores in Nanaimo and got plates and patterns and kits. I also bought a hand towel with Row by Row on it.  So cool and I had not seen them before.  We were hoping to get to Duncan to pick up the row, but we just did not have time as we had to catch the ferry back so we could be home by dinner.  The darn ferry was late again and we could have gone to Duncan, but we dare not miss that ferry so we stayed put and waited.

Seagulls at the ferry dock

Waiting for the ferry - we were second in line, having just missed the previously late ferry by five minutes

Barges on the move



Do you remember those log cabin blocks that I was knitting????   My aunt started to make them as well. but she is much faster than I.


Four log cabin blocks to make a shawl

Log cabin blocks sewn together for an afghan. OK  - I need to work on mine!!!!

Bart loves to watch TV




All tucked up - he likes to sleep under his towel as well!!!!!
 And then it was time to say good bye.  I hate good byes and this year was hard. But we have to be grown ups and move on.


Me and Yvonne

Joe and Yvonne
 I had a super visit - the next one better not be in five years. I'll be back!!!!!!   That is the trouble with family who lives away - it requires vacation time to visit with them!


Waiting at Fulford Harbour for the ferry
 I got there almost an hour before the ferry leaves and this many cars were ahead of me.

Busy morning for the ferry
 Despite the fact that there is a communication tower on that hill, the cell service there sucks!!!!!!!!!!!
Communication tower on top of that hill


I did not plan the connections well.  My flight wasn't until 3 PM, but I had to get the car back by 11:30 or pay an extra day and like I said, Victoria was not CHEAP.   No big deal - I sat around and read and it was nice and quiet and relaxing.


Teeny tiny plane from Victoria to Vancouver


The good news - I have THREE of those girlie John Deere quilts bound. One more to go. I must find the labels today so I can sew them on and start delivering them.  There isn't a whole lot of time left and we have a whole lot of stuff to take care of while I am here.  I think the timing was just right for this vacation.

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment