Saturday, October 12, 2013

Fifty shades of DARK!!!!


I normally walk the dogs at 6:30 AM except when I am at early morning spin class. Now if you happen to be awake at 6:30 AM, you know that it is quite dark and I walk the dogs in the forest so it is PITCH BLACK. I have walked that forest MANY MANY times and I know the position of all the roots and whatever and with my night vision which is pretty good - I have no problem in the forest.  I don't use a flashlight (that is too creepy) and you get used to the shades of dark!!!!

Now this morning, I was about 8 minutes later than normal because I was busy cutting out quilt squares. We are walking on the main path and I am looking behind me to check out the girls or something, when all of a sudden I realized someone or something was in front of me. And it said GOOD MORNING!!!!!    ACK!!!!

I responded "g o o o  o d     m o r r n i n g"  in my quavering voice because he scared the crap out of me!!!!   I am usually VERY aware of what is around me, but not this morning and I NEVER meet anyone at this time of the year in the forest at that time of the day. He was walking his dog and so the dogs had to visit. Well we went our separate ways, and my heart went back to normal. He did apologize for scaring me - I guess my voice was pretty shaky!!!!   Good thing it was dark because I am in my orange PJs and flip flops, but I did have a  small flash light in my hand for a weapon - if I needed it!!!!

Well just have to pay attention a bit more!!!!!


Even though my day went topsy turvy yesterday I did manage to get some paper work done and other stuff that I needed to get done. Still loads to do, but I would rather be busy than have nothing to do.

Mary came over to borrow something - I am still not used to seeing her during the week!!!!   Anyway - look at this amazing quilt that she threw together for her daughter.

Isn't that a cute setting!!!!   And the fabric is typewriters, paper clips, and stuff like that. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the quilt. I should have bought some of the orange paper clips!!!!!   (Greenwood has it)

And I love the quilting she did on it!!!!
Then I was off to pick up Rose Anne. A lady that I met on the internet!!!   Actually we were part of the CanadianQuiltSwapper group and have known each other for about 15 years. We did meet a number of years ago when she was last in town. I learned so much from that group. We did swaps, we did exchanges, we made quilts. It really was a great group. Although it still exists, the chatter on the group (like MANY other groups) is practically non-existent. I guess people are moving to Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo or whatever.

Speaking of which - I notice that a number of people REPINNED something that  "I" pinned on Pinterest. Nope - I didn't post those BEFORE and AFTER pictures of people who lost weight. While I LOVE those social media sites - I don't spend tons of time on them and I hate when the system or someone posts things on your behalf?????   What is that all about????


Anyway, Rose Anne is a tatter and loves hand stitching including Sashiko. Hmmmm - I know just the place to take her. Sew Fancy.   They do not have a store, but work from their home. I called and made arrangements and we were off. Although I have worked with Alma many times at the CreativFestival, I have never been to her "store". Well we had a great time looking at embroidery patterns, yarns and threads and well we both found things that we liked. BUT not only did I find things that I liked, I found something that I NEEDED.


You remember my Gingerbread quilt. Well I did not like the original borders................


The original borders are just plain. Actually when I look at this picture, Id on't mind it so much, but I wanted something different so I found this.....................

You can't see it well, but there is a strip with two shades of green, white and red on the right hand side. I will audition it as the quilt comes together and see how I like it. 


But have a look at this setting (found this picture years ago, but AFTER I started the quilt)

It is VERY CUTE. I do like that border, but it means that I would have to make MORE little blocks and NOT use the big pieced ones. I think I will stick with my original plan, but not make the border white!!!!!  Hmmmm - I could get really creative with that strip!!!!

I did get more stitching done last night. Not a lot, but more!!!!   What do you think????   Should ginger bread be ONE word or TWO?????    That could be my humility block. I could always take out the extra space by adding in a seam?????   I guess in future, I will use a Frixion pen to do my embroidery transfer instead of a PERMANENT marker!!!

After saying good bye to Alma, we were off to Greenwood  Quiltery.  I haven't been there in a while and it showed!!!   I pointed out this neat little restaurant to Rose Anne and then drove down the street looking for the store. Ooops - we must have missed it. When we went back - it was just across the road from the restaurant. I didn't remember that it was that close!!!!!!!!!!!


I was pretty good, but when I saw this - I HAD TO HAVE IT.....................

Bike fabric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




I also found these two to add to my novelty collection



I really must STOP that, but I can't help it. I must dig them out and start making some fun and funky quilts with all that stuff!!!!


I think I might send my friend Karen back to pick up one more fabric. It was PAINT BY NUMBERS!!!!   I didn't buy any, but I will send her to get some. She will be mad at me because then she will end up buying something!!!!!


Mary - these pictures are for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    All their solids...............

KONA solids


KONA solids - the neutrals
More KONA solid neutrals

More KONA solids - I DO NOT see anything in oranges??????



Anyway - we had a fun day. Rose Anne is the QUEEN of post cards and crazy patch so I got some lessons while we were driving and came up with TWO ideas for the postcards I have to make this year. Thanks Rose Anne. Run away days are so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Time to get back home and to reality!!!   No quilting got done yesterday, but I did get some more cutting done on Farmer's Wife.

See - -the book is getting skinnier!!!!

Although I still have quite a few blocks to cut, my fabrics are running low. 

Not to worry - I dug out my basket to see what I had!!!   I don't think there will be a shortage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


By my count this morning, there are still 41 blocks??????   That can't be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Well I had forty made, there are 111 in total so I have 30 cut????   Well I am sure that I have cut more than that!!!!!!!!   Anyway - I will just keep cutting. I am using the Marti Michell templates which makes the process a whole lot easier, but still time consuming.


On that note - I am going to get to work and get a couple more blocks cut out before I head off to spin class this morning. They have a "competition" for the month of October. Try to take TWENTY spin classes in the month of October. There is one guy and honestly - he must go to every class. Is he trying to be a hero?????   I hate people that have to DO everything - it is OK if you miss one!!!!!!!!!!!!   I think I have done four or five and it is already the 12th. Well - I'll ramp that up this week and next.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oooooo......I have been looking for Barcode fabric for The All About "B" quilt I am making for my grandson. Guelph is close!

    Maryv

    ReplyDelete