Thursday, October 10, 2013

Take Down at Value Village!!!


What an awesome day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Lynn, Sharon and Elaine S came over and we all got our stitching out. We had a great time - we chatted about projects - both new and old, we chatted about movies and books and so much more. But more IMPORTANTLY - we stitched!!!!!!!!!!!!    Whenever I start a stitch that I haven't done in a while - I have to get a print-out next to me so I get going in the right direction.

I am working on the lettering for the Ginger bread quilt and I am doing it in STEM stitch with three strands of embroidery floss. Took me a few minutes to get going and then to figure out how to nicely go around corners and change direction. And I think I messed up and I am NOT going to change it - when I traced out the letters, I left a space between GINGER and BREAD so it looks like two words, not ONE. Well - I can live with that!!!!   I also helped Lynn get going with her stem stitch so she can work on it while she is away!!!!   Hey one must help out the competition from time to time!    Besides it is because of her that I am back working on this project and AIMING to complete it this time.


OK - so it doesn't look like I did much, but I am VERY HAPPY with my progress!!!!!


And I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY to report that I am DONE the second rabbit block, BUT not before I ran into problems AGAIN!!!!  I messed up ONE pair of ears and had to resew that small seam and then when I went to put the brown strip on the bottom - well - the block wasn't wide enough. I had cut the spacers strips (in the middle and on the two sides) - TOO small. So I ripped off the side ones and added bigger ones and trimmed down. I don't care - it is DONE!!!!


Second bunny block - DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!


I do believe the ears get tacked down when it is done and I found my yo-yo makers - I only have HEART shaped yo-yos, so I will make them by hand.


I also worked on one of the twelve inch blocks for the gingerbread quilt. Almost done this one and the pieces for the 6 inch block are cut and ready to sew.


Twelve inch block progress to date for gingerbread quilt


After the ladies left, I got to work and quilted another quilt.
This is for the CORE program at Mississauga Guild -  so nice to have some small quilts to break up the big ones!!!


Detail of quilting

And the next one (also a small one) is loaded!!!!


Now I have a TON of trimming to do and bindings to add. Maybe later today? Nope - on the weekend.


While we were stitching and chatting in the morning, we also talked about Value-Village. Hey - I want to go there and haven't been in a while. When M got home, I asked if she wanted to go - she was looking for some new work clothes. Off we went. What is going on with the stores???   Everything was changed around and the books were right in the front so I started there.



Found two interesting books


I browsed the books and found two that were interesting so I grabbed those. Then through the craft section, the kitchen section, the small linens and then the big linens. I am always on the hunt for quilts or pieces of quilts.

OH MY GOD - there is a quilt!!!!!!!!!!!!   I have NEVER found a quilt at Value-Village. The only problem is that it is being held up by an elderly gentleman. Then he proceeds to fold it up, tightly tucks it under his arm and walks away. WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!!!!   You can't take that quilt!! I follow him and see him tuck the quilt into his wife's shopping cart. DRAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I find M and ask if she will distract the elderly couple while I grab the quilt?  She doesn't think it is a good idea!!!!   Kids - where is their sense of adventure!!!!!    Oh dear - if I hadn't spent so much time in the book section, I might have nabbed that quilt.

I did see that it was a SunBonnet Sue, it was white and pink and fairly large. I have no idea what shape it was in or how much it was. I did want to go and talk to the lady to see if she was really going to buy it, but the way that man picked it up and tucked it away, I knew that he knew what he was looking for. There were also several commercially quilted coverings that he left discarded on the floor - I knew they were going to buy it. But M and I had a good laugh over that!!!!!


Next time - I must be quicker!!!!   My friend Joyce goes ONCE a week to her local Value-Village. I guess I have to go on a regular basis to find stuff. Well this wasn't my quilt to get - I will get the NEXT one!!!!  But I did snag TWO nice pieces of canvas toile. Great for making some small bags.


Canvas Toile

Have you ever done something so stupid - you wonder how you could do that????   Well I was reading a book (recommended by the driver on our bike trip). I was about half way through the book and then I couldn't find it. This was a bit disturbing because it was a library book. I searched everywhere in the house and could not find it. So I started to read another book. The other night I was in my library account and decided to see when the book was due because I was going to have to confess to the library that I lost the book. I can't find it on my list of books. NO WAY?????   So I checked the copies that the library owns. They have SIX and ALL SIX are in the library. OH MY GOD - I HAD RETURNED THE BOOK. It must have been sitting on the seat of my car and when I returned something else, it inadvertently got picked up and dropped in the slot.


The MISSING book


Now it is not a big deal, I will just re-borrow the book. BUT what was a big deal is that the book mark that Mary D made for me this summer on my trip was in the book!!!!!   I checked with my branch and NOPE - no book mark. When I got this copy of the book yesterday - NO bookmark. I will have to go to the central library to check the other copy to see if the bookmark somehow stayed there.

I have book club tonight so will check with the librarian what they do if they see book marks in books. I am ALMOST done The Hunger Games (in time for book club tonight). What an interesting story. Not a pleasant book to read, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

And I popped off to spin class last night. I was very tired - well my legs were tired and I can't get my heart rate monitor to work so I got to figure that out. Always something that doesn't work!!!!!!!


On that note - I am off to get a running start to the day!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment