Tuesday, October 8, 2019

An EPIC experience

One good thing about the convention is that the three days of classes start with the most intense day and it slows down each successive day. Thank god - I'm not sure how long I can keep the pace up!

The day started when we took the shuttle to the convention hotel which is an easy process of hopping on a big bus and letting the bus driver do all the hard work. After breakfast and a quick meeting, we zipped off to our respective rooms where we were assigned for the day.

I was in the Husqvarna Viking DESIGNER EPIC 2 room. No, let me rephrase that - I was in one of THREE rooms filled with DESIGNER EPIC 2 sewing and embroidery machines. Wow-what a spectacular sight when you walked into the room. I hope the dealers recognized all our hard work in prepping those rooms.

Forty DESIGNER EPIC 2 sewing and embroidery machines

The first day of classes was called CORE where the attendees were split into groups and traveled to each of the four core classes. This ensured that they would all see and hear the same things. I thought it was well done. While some of the classes were lecture style and so for the helpers in those rooms, there really wasn't anything to do. There may not have been helpers but in the DESIGNER EPIC 2 room and the AMBER Air S/400 serger room, there were helpers.

Matter of fact, there were four helpers although one of our helpers wasn't as mobile as she would have liked so she helped at the back of the room. We were working on TWO of the exciting new features on the DESIGNER EPIC 2. One of them was the laser pictogram stitches. You HAVE to see these in person to appreciate what they do. Loads of dealers were taking videos - but we didn't have time for that. The second thing we helped with was the NEW TECHNOLOGY which allows ribbon embroidery. It's stunning and again - you have to experience it in person to appreciate it. One of the cool things about being here? We get to chat with the people who came up with these products!!!!

There was ZERO time for us to be videotaping anything. We were hopping amongst the 40 attendees and answering questions. I did almost 13,000 steps yesterday and there was NO walk in my day!!! Speaking of walking, when I was walking to the bus stop to catch the shuttle on the way home, the bus driver commented that I was a fast walker! You bet - no time for dilly-dallying!!!

After the first class left, we had 30 minutes to get the sewing machines back in order before the next group arrived. We're talking FORTY machines. And the fabric that needed to be hooped. Let's say that we were fast. The process also got better as the day went on so that was a good thing.

It was a super day and we had a load of fun - well I did at least. Let's just say that if I stumble when showcasing the new Ribbon Embroidery Attachment at the upcoming CreativFestival - well, I know I won't because I did it many, many times yesterday or assisted many times.

So guess who was in our class yesterday???  A well-known TV personality from years gone by. The class had already started and someone was struggling with the door so I opened and there was Sue Hausmann!!!  I got her settled at a machine. A very nice lady! But no time for photos!

Here's something else that's super fun here. If you have a problem with a machine, guess what? The techies from Sweden are here to help. It doesn't get any better than that. We had someone jam a machine and help was quickly on its way.

It's also a bit shocking, but then I shouldn't be. The knowledge (or lack thereof) of some of the people attending the classes. Some of them have no idea how to operate the sewing machine. One guy was a service guy attending with his wife and he never sews, but he did pretty well. And you have to be VERY clear on what you say and how you say it. We learned that as the day went on.

All in all, it was an exhausting, but fun day. I learned a ton, got to chat with some of the Canadian dealers, my fellow educators and it was a super day! Needless to say, we were all pretty wiped when the day was over.

But it wasn't over yet! Oh no - I had to go to my own classroom where I'll be teaching today and get that room prepped. I'm stepping in for an educator who was ill and teaching her ruler class. I've got 24 people in each of the two classes. Each class is 3 1/2 hours long. Yikes! All the supplies had to be distributed to the machines and I had to finish quilting my sample according to the instructor notes. It's one thing to teach a class but quite another to teach from someone else's notes.  My sample is far from perfect, but it's a super teaching opportunity.

I still have to change needles in all the machines - I sure hope my helper shows up today because I don't know where she was assigned yesterday. No worries. This is life. And a couple of the other educators came in last night as I was setting up to help. Bless you, Gina and Gail.

After a quick shuttle ride back to the hotel, we went to one of the restaurants in the casino and had Chinese food. I think at that point, we didn't really care what we ate - as long as we ate something.

Once I was back in the hotel room, I decided that I NEEDED to repack and organize myself. My suitcase which is normally very tidy when I travel was a disaster. I NEVER unpack all my stuff. Now the stuff that I'm finished with is all packed. My outfits for the remaining three days are spread out on the desk. Garbage is in the garbage and I'm good to go! I feel much better for getting that all organized.

I'll be happier when today is over and all that will remain for me is to be the helper in someone's class tomorrow. But I know how to quilt and I know how to quilt with rulers. So it really shouldn't be too difficult to get through these two classes today. And since I don't have to do any set up for tomorrow, I'll be able to chat with a couple of the vendors here (Kimberbell and Lunch Box) and hopefully, get back to the hotel in time to walk to that darn geocache. Now that we started that up again, I'd be truly disappointed if I couldn't get my Arizona cache before leaving here.

On that note, I'm out of here. I hope to catch an early bus to the other hotel so I can get those needles changed before breakfast. Oh - and in case you think - that I have a cool job and how much fun it is. It is a cool job and it is a lot of fun. But seriously - you have to work at it to make it fun. Since I'm still a big kid at heart, that's easy. But I see people much younger than I am who are totally wiped at the end of the day. It's all about taking care of your body!!!!!  I don't need a soak in the tub at night. But it's hard work. It's hard to be "UP" for an entire day and teaching when you never know what's going to happen. I love it and wouldn't change it for the world.

One other thing I forgot to mention - as educators, we were issued a challenge to use the new embroidery designs for the DESIGNER EPIC 2 and make something. The finished items are super impressive. I'll try to get some closeup shots another day, but here's the entire grouping of items. Can you tell which one is mine???

Challenge pieces made by the educators

Have a super day!!!!


1 comment:

  1. If I had to guess I would say the orange machine cover is yours!