Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Olive and Oswald Otter Show n Tell

Today is the last day of this round of show n tell for the North Star quilt by Elizabeth Hartman. Which is good because I have a ton of other stuff to share with you and more show n tell. So much to say, so little time. It always amazes me when I hear of bloggers who struggle to find content for their blogs. There are even lists of topics that one can peruse if you're short of a topic.

Like finding something to do, finding something to say isn't one of my shortfalls!!!

Today, we're having a look at Olive and Oswald Otter. This is my absolute favorite block of all of them. They are just stinking cute!!!

The first block up belongs to Jana. Can you tell why?? Yep - those darn polka dots! These little otters make me think of fun and these two look very mischevious with their big funky dots. What a concept and a great way to choose fabric for a fun quilt. I believe it's for her grandson when the quilt is completed.



Jana's otter block
This is the otter block made from the kit fabric. I don't think I've mentioned it before but that background fabric is a linen blend. It's all the rage these days. A lot of solids were also used and you get a very nice, calming effect with the kit fabric choices.


Nancy's otter block

Look at the cute fabric these guys are made of! I know I said it in a previous post, but I LOVE the show and tell from these classes so you get an idea of how different each block/quilt looks depending on the fabric choices. That's worth the price of attending the class. Oh yes - you get to see the blocks here online, but it's not the same as seeing those blocks in person!

Otter block
This is Lynn's block. Look at that frosty background. She is using the kit fabric for many of the component pieces and a different fabric for the background.


Lynn's otter block

This must be Marg's block. It's also made from the kit fabric. You had to be on your toes with this fabric as several of them were directional. Notice that those mountains are going in the right direction in both spots (bottom right and middle right).


Marg's otter block

Here's that tan background again. Funny - I sent an email to the group and asked whose these blocks were. No takers! I've got a group of very shy quilters. How does that happen??? Anyway, these guys are super cute. Did you notice that the otters are holding hands? Apparently, they do that in real life. It keeps them together when they sleep as they float around the water. How cute.

Otter block with a tan background

I don't think that any of us got all those half-square triangles in the right order. I remember from making the blocks that it was very easy to put fabric 5 in place of fabric 6 and well - if you noticed it once you were done, you were NOT going to change it. You can't tell at all that any mistakes were made. That's the beauty of using different fabrics - perhaps the maker intended it a certain way. Yep - I love that.

Here's another cute otter block. Do you know how hard it was to find some of those colors?? You pick one you like and then it was hard to find something to go with it that would be lighter or darker. I suspect the colors on the other sections would be one of those fabrics. I love the colorway but it could be a challenge to find coordinates.


Otter block

Here's the blue background again. In a way, this person was very smart. That rich blue is very easy to find coordinates for!


Otter block

Next time, I'm writing down the names in order of when I take the photos. I hate not giving recognition to everyone. Notice how the extra bits on the sides are much more subtle than some of the other fabrics have been. A nice touch.

Otter block

This is Kathi's block. Not only did she find a fabric with otters in it, but she managed to find TWO fabrics with otters in it. One with a light background and one with a dark background. So cute. Those otters look like they are wearing PJs as they hold hands to sleep. So darn cute!!!!!


Kathi's otter block

The last block for today is JoMarie's. Yep - there are the names of the critters again. That was such an amazing idea. I really, really love that idea. Her friend used her embroidery machine to stitch the names of the animals on the blocks.

JoMarie's otter block


The last of the North Star show n tell for this round is a partially assembled quilt by Diane. There are nine blocks in total. Here is her Owen the Owl and Olive and Oswald Otter, along with the polar bear, the walrus, the narwhal and the seal. She had extra of the background for the blocks so used that for the sashing.

Diane's partially assembled quilt


After this month - ONE MORE block. I just checked - we have 21 participants in the class plus myself. Hopefully, we'll have at least 15 finished quilts at the November reveal!!!!

HEY - that wide-angle lens on my phone camera is going to make taking pictures of the entire quilts a WHOLE lot easier!! I can't wait to try that out. I still have six chapters left to read in the book about the Samsung Galaxy s10 (my new phone). It's been a very interesting read and I've learned a TON of information.

Did you know the MOST DOWNLOADED apps in the cell phone world are games??  Yep - outshines any other app category by miles. I have ONE game on my phone - Scrabble and it takes me at most 5 - 10 minutes a day and some days, I don't even check. Everyone has their priorities on how they wish to spend their time. Me, personally? I can't see spending any time on some of those games. Don't get me wrong - I'm not poopooing your activities. It's just that my compulsive self would get hooked and wouldn't be able to stop. I used to spend HOURS and DAYS playing video games when I was in my 20's. If I start, I won't be able to stop so I don't start!

Besides, I have so many other toys (sewing machines and sergers) and software (for the embroidery machine and cutters and photography) to play with that I don't even have time for. I just got handed another software package last night and ACK! I want to play, but no time. What's the software? It's brand new - called Embroidery, Cut, and Quilt (ECQ for short). Plus new additions to the apps for the phone (also for Embroidery). I don't see the link for that software yet. ACK -- so much I want to learn. I need LONGER days.

In addition to working on some samples, and teaching a three-hour class, I did manage to get a customer quilt done.

Customer quilt - DONE


I'm off to help set up our booth for the CreativFestival. I know - some of you don't want to go. Well, come back tomorrow and I'm going to give you TEN reasons why you should attend the CreativFestival. GASP!!!!  Yes - TEN reasons. So book one of the upcoming days off and get yourself to the CreativFestival. I also have a quilt show that you should come to - that's on Sunday. Wait for that info tomorrow.

Now I have to play Tetris and try to fit a bunch of stuff in my car. I did get rid of FIVE boxes of stuff yesterday and three bags of fabric that came my way. I quickly went through the three bags - took ONE small piece and the rest went bye-bye! There's a multitude of boxes, bags and other stuff at the front door. It's all destined for a drop-off or pickup. It's quite the staging area. More on that another day. I'm off to pack up the car.

Have a super day!!!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment