Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Geocaching in the dark

 Oh, I forgot to look for a geocache at the LOVE sign, and I bet there was one there. You have to understand, though, that when you're with a group of 8 other people, none of whom are into geocaching and they are hungry -- one doesn't take time to geocache! 

However, that didn't stop me from geocaching in the dark yesterday morning. 

I knew we had a heavy agenda for the day, and there probably wouldn't be time to get out for a walk. However, I managed to log 13 KM yesterday! Yep --- no cheating involved either. 

I started off bright and early. OK -- so it wasn't bright - the moon was still out. 


The moon on my early morning walk

While that sidewalk looks treacherous, it was absolutely dry and fine. I did experience a few spots of a nasty sidewalk, but it was mostly snow-covered, not ice, and I was able to make good time. By the time I sat down to breakfast, I was already over the 7 KM mark. 

I had checked for caches near the hotel and found one close. Should I get it on the way out or the way back? I was feeling adventurous, so I decided to get it on the way out. Down the alley behind a mall (yes -- I think of potential reasons I shouldn't do that alone, but then I forge ahead!). The cache is in some trees behind the parking lot of the building. And it's dark!

The cache

YES -- there is a cache hanging from the tree! I had to use the flashlight on my phone to find that, so let's say that I was NOT using stealth in my orange jacket (too dark to see) and my flashlight! But there was absolutely no one around, and I was good. 

Then I was back on the walk and spotted this in a new apartment building. Do you know what it is? It's a BIKE ROOM. Now that's cool, especially since there's a bike path right along this road. 


The bike room in a new apartment building


On my way back, I spotted the sunrise. It turned out to be a cloudy day, but gosh -- it was warm. I sure wish I could have made it outside, but I did not. The schedule did not allow time; however, I made 8 more KM in the day. 


Sunrise

My room is on the third floor, and it's in the opposite corner of the hotel from our meeting room. So every time I needed something from my room, I simply walked to the staircase close to our meeting room, and then I walked to my room. Yep -- even up the stairs. 

At one point, I couldn't find my room keys, and after getting another key from the front desk (more steps), I found my key on the bed. DUH!!!!

My room key



So with all the walking to and from the room, the front desk, moving things around in the room, or whatever, I managed to eke out 13 KM in the day! I know some people will not count the "daily" steps they take, but good grief -- those extra walks required time and effort, so do I count them? You bet! 


And you never know what you're going to spot along the way -- this grate is very cool, and I see some inspiration for something in there. 


A decorative grate


I won't go into specifics about the day except to say we had a blast. I swear that one side of our group was drinking in their meeting! Way too much frivolity, but it's been an excellent team-building event, and we still have the rest of the week. We're talking about products and different ways of using them or how to use them properly in the first place -- I learned some stuff last night that I'm anxious to get home and try. 

Yes - last night. If you think I'm having a "fun" time away from home, this is work, and we didn't get to bed until almost 10 PM. A little late by my standards, but it was all worth it. 

The best part is that the knowledge in the room is HUGE -- collectively - well, I can imagine many, many years of experience in this room. I won't even hazard a guess to protect our ages, but it's a lot. And it's like Christmas, with a goodie box set up for everyone, and it keeps getting fuller by the day. It's stuff to use to show consumers when we do our events and tools for us to make samples. 

I feel like Oprah when I put something in -- You get a car, you get a car, and you get a car! Except we're not talking cars here! 

When I go home, my head will be spinning, and I will have a lot of work ahead of me. I can only hope that we're going to have a super year and that we'll be on the road a lot. We have some great projects lined up to showcase the products, and we have a lot of knowledge to pass along. If you are a Husqvarna Viking or PFAFF consumer and live in Canada, get out to your local dealer and BEG them to host an event. Especially if you are in the market for a new sewing machine r a serger. It's a great way to test drive the new machines, including the sergers, which I LOVE LOVE LOVE. And those dealers can always book me for a private class (not through Husqvarna Viking or PFAFF) to teach you anything you want! 

OK -- time to hit the road! 


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment