Tuesday, October 25, 2022

On binding quilts!

It's hard to get back to reality! Therefore, I worked on bindings instead of doing stuff I should have been doing! 

I want to work on the next batch of bindings for the Project Linus quilts. My goal is to get the next set of ten quilts bound. And yes -- it never fails; those joins end up at the corners. 

Another join at a corner

Diane has prepared all or most of the bindings for this batch of quilts. Ooops --- two of them were a wee bit short, so I had to dig through my flannel scraps to find something that worked. But both of them are fixed. That's the beauty of scrappy bindings. If one is too short, use the leftovers from somewhere else to make them longer! 

A scrap to make the binding longer


And here is the stack of TEN quilts with the binding sewn to the back of the quilt. I'll work on them to get the binding sewn to the front this week. Then I only have twenty more to go!

Ten quilts with the binding sewn to the back


Here's what is still to be bound. It looks worse than it is, but it'll be gone soon! And a couple of my quilts need to have the sleeves sewn on. I will call this my Monday sewing pile, as this is easy sewing to do while on Zoom. I also watched a couple of episodes of The Great Canadian Baking Show (Season Two) while I finished some off last night. 

Quilts that need to be bound


As I was searching for some matching fabric for those bindings, I sorted through the flannels I pulled for the community project quilts. I have all these bright flannels, which will be perfect for kids' quilts. I have to say that it makes me a bit sad to see this. This is all super great quality flannel, and it's been sitting on the shelf for eons. 

Bright flannels


Yep --- there's a lot there, and that does NOT include the backing or the bindings, as I have pulled the fabric I want to use for that. But --- one must get over the nostalgia of what could have been. I'll never have time to make something with this, so it will go to Diane, who can make a bunch of small quilts for Project Linus. It's much better for everyone that it gets used rather than sit on my shelf! 

But seeing this pile of stuff that I LOVE going out the door for community project quilts really drives the point home that I didn't need to buy it in the first place! But  --- it's being used, and I'll get to quilt those quilts, and I'll get to bind them and have the satisfaction of knowing that the final product will be used. And let's MOVE ON. 

Speaking of quilts, the two RCMP quilts arrived at their destination yesterday, so those will be handed out in the next couple of weeks. That also makes me happy, knowing that I'm sharing the wealth of my mess, and I can't take it with me, and I want to clean up my house of all this mess. It's going to take time! Lots and lots of time, but I'm enjoying the process. 

And I popped by Diane's place yesterday to pick up more quilt tops. I think there are four here. Yikes --- she is going to fill my buckets again! 

Four more quilt tops

If you want my fast and easy way to sew bindings to quilts, here's a tutorial I wrote for QUILTsocial. I believe I've written thirteen tutorials on bindings for that website, so you can also do a search "bindings by Elaine," and you'll see them. That tutorial is for sewing the binding to the FRONT of the quilt and then hand-stitching the back. I'll find the link for the other one tomorrow, but it's the same process to sew the binding to the quilt, whether to the front or the back!!! OH --- here's the link to do the stitching by machine on both sides. It's worth a look if you want to quickly get a quilt bound. 

OH --- and if you are interested in seeing the NEW PFAFF creative icon 2, Betty is doing some sessions on QUILTsocial this week. She is amazing, and I think it would be worth your while to check those blog posts out. 

I had FOUR errands to do yesterday, but I only managed three on my walk and snuck in a visit to the library, where I picked up five books. I know -- I should not have done that, but I did! Oops! It's not as if I have time to read much these days. 

We still have leaves on the trees in the forest, but they are getting thin and have completely changed color the entire height of the trees. Look at that Murphy dog! So cute!!!


MOM --- Hurry up -- I can only sit still for a few seconds!

When I try to do the same pose with Lexi, she gets grumpy. So I managed to snap this picture of her when she was looking at something else and NOT sitting. Now she's happy as she's on HER terms. Sigh............


Oh -- there's a dog I need to say HELLO to


Here are the two of them when I was preparing to go for my afternoon walk. If they were better walkers, I might consider it, but I also knew that I would have two bags to carry and there are no extra hands to hold leashes. They were NOT happy. 

MOM -- we NEED to go with you!



Those leaf colors are spectacular and yesterday was a glorious day for a walk, and I had to take my sweatshirt off because I was SWEATING! It was a beautiful fall day, and I hope you all got out to walk. Of course, if you live out west, I hear they have snow! Not fun to walk!

Beautiful fall colors

At last, the workers are coming to finish up the landscaping in the front yard. The railing was installed last week. Of course, when I wasn't here and DH is madly texting me -- where do I want the railing. It's quite solid and looks nice. 



The new railing

This one seems much curvier, but it has the same curve as the end of the other one. It all looks fine. 


The left railing

And there's this small section of railing at the top of the stairs. 


A small section at the top of the stairs


They are fixing the lighting and rearranging some plants in the front. They also have to close the pond this week. I hope the weather stays nice for them. I must say that I haven't had a chance to sit outside for a long time! I should take one afternoon this week and get one more fill of the gazebo. But there just doesn't seem to be time! I MUST make time!

Oh my goodness  --- Murphy is so clingy! Look at her!!!!


MOM --- I can't live without you! 



What a silly girl, but I guess she hasn't been too happy with all the comings and goings in our house over the last couple of months. It has been a bit chaotic, but hopefully, things will calm down. I'll be out at the Open House for Sew Productive tomorrow and my lectures/demos the next day, then I'm home for a couple of days and then out for a couple of days. But soon, all the travel for this year will be done!

Don't forget to come and check out the new store -- it's in Acton, and I think it'll be loads of fun to see it and meet the owner - Melinda. 





I have a software club this morning, and we're doing some fun stuff with the software! But I have to finish that presentation. Almost done, and most of it is directly in the software anyway!

Speaking of clubs, I know I said that I would post information for my clubs for January, but I haven't had a chance. I hope to get working on that very shortly, and I have received e-mails from some of you, so I'll be responding by next week! 

On that note, I'm out of here! I have to finish my presentation this morning! 

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!









2 comments:

  1. I still marvel at all you get done! Murphy is so beautiful. I love the top shown in the embroidery class flyer. Do you know what pattern number and who makes it? I have been looking for one like that 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela --- sorry way behind in responding to comments. You mentioned a pattern in the embroidery class flyer. Was it a garment pattern you were looking for?? The original picture was posted on October 26.

      Delete