Friday, April 14, 2023

Spring has arrived

I love Elle's comment about the "screamer" in the spin class. A toddler -- yep -- that's what he reminded me of! 

I try to ignore the noises, but sometimes it's tough. But do you love to watch or observe people? I LOVE it! Especially if they are regulars, like those in my spin class. At any class, there might be 25 - 30 people. And I know most of them by sight and a few by name since our names appear on the screen at the start of the class. But amazing how much you can learn about each person without talking to them -- simply a process of observation! 

I won't go into the details of each, but there's the "social director," the "socialite," the "I'm a "hip" older person, but I want to be part of the crowd," the "get a Kleenix to blow your nose guy," the Italian stud who talks to everyone, and the "kai-ya-yippee" girl. The remainder of the class is pretty silent, but each person has their quirks, like the guy who comes in and says "good morning" to the entire room -- in a very polite way. The woman who NEVER smiles (she's married to the Kleenex guy), but they are always on opposite sides of the room - probably because she can't stand what he does with his nose! 

There are others, but you never hear them for the most part; they don't draw attention to themselves, and I sure hope I'm included in that category! 

You should be sorry you did not sign up for my events at Hamilton Sewing yesterday. One lecture on garment sewing techniques and the other on sergers! You missed out on some great information, and I got rave reviews from all the attendees on how much information they picked up! It was a good day, and we had a lot of fun! 

My next SVP events are in May, when I'll be at Stitch by Stitch in Kingston (May 18 and 19), and then I'm in Regina on May 23 and 24 for some serging and quilting events! And I believe I'll also be in Saskatoon that week - we're still working on the details. So if you are in those areas --- check out the events. There is always great information to be had -- you get to hear the latest information on whatever machines I'm chatting about, and there are loads of tips and samples with loads of inspiration!

But I'm happy to say I do NOT have to go anywhere for 17 days! Although I think I will attend a show on April 21, I'll find more information and let you know. It's an ART show, not a quilt show, and I know this will be good. 

The weather here is incredible, and if I wasn't at Hamilton Sewing yesterday, I would have been outside! The buds are coming on our NEW trees planted in the front yard last year, so I can't wait to see them in full bloom. It's going to be an explosion of PINK!


Buds on the new trees

And Miss Lexi is trotting off like she owns the world, but it was a glorious morning. 


Walking Miss Lexi


When I walked the dogs at 7:30 (start time), I was wearing shorts! And just mere days ago, I was in my winter jacket. However, the warm weather will not last, so we should all enjoy it, which I fully intend to do, but I have one Zoom class today (on sergers), and then I have sewing to do, but I could sew outside!

Shorts! 


New leaves are sprouting everywhere, which is so exciting. 

Spring!


And more daffodils! 

Daffodils


So I've been scouring the house for anything garment-related or serging that's been done. I found this in Studio U, a jacket M did in the Ontario Skills Competition in 2012. While the jacket is finished, some of the seams are a bit - well, they are a bit wonky! I figured this would be a good challenge for my serger and garment skills to tackle. So with her permission, I will take the jacket apart and redo it. But I'll take lots of before and after pictures to show good and bad techniques. 


A serged jacket to revisit


I think the zipper has a few issues, and the jacket fits me! Although once the zipper is in properly, I don't think I can zip it up! I will say that my serging skills have improved 1000% since I first serged many years ago. I can identify stitches by looking at them and seeing if they are right or wrong! How did I learn that? I certainly didn't take a class. Nope -- it was by experimenting and trying things repeatedly until they were right! 

I also read many books; some of those older books that no one wants are the BEST on the market. I have a couple of great serger books with loads of information. Of course, I provide that information to those who attend my events, but only to them! 

So two days in a row, my car has been on the road, and my "old" spare glasses have worked just fine! However, this is what I had left in my gas tank last night, so I did fill up just before getting home. Yep --- I'm definitely a "fly by the seat of my pants" person -- whether it comes to a presentation (although I do spend HOURS prepping) so I can "wing it" in class. 


Almost on empty


I also hate making firm travel plans weeks in advance. What if I decide to change my mind? What if I want to do something else? I rarely book hotels in advance, and if I can't find a hotel? There's always a hotel! Another reason to travel light! You are never in a bind! Self-sufficient!

So when I went downstairs this morning to do some work, this was the state of the cutting table. UGH!! That wasn't pleasant, and I had to move some things before I could cut! 



What a mess!


But I got some of the homework cut for the three classes tomorrow, and I'll be sewing later today. Hm -- I could move outside to sew, but I don't think I will. I'll just take frequent breaks! 

It will be a busy weekend, with two Zooms (I said one earlier), three tomorrow, and two UFO clubs on Sunday. I think I have a wee bit of prepping to do. 


This was on the doorstep when I got home late last night! My NEW door handle. But instead of sending me just the part that needed replacing -- it looks like they sent an ENTIRE new handle! I'll open it up later today. 


My new door handle



Thank you for that, as it's getting old to have to lock the door all the time as the latch bolt is worn, and the door won't stay shut. The girls love it! Murphy thinks she should go in the car with me whenever I put the suitcases in! I would NEVER trust them before, but I think they would be good now, but I still won't trust them alone outside if they are not on a leash! 

Before, I could drop the leash (in the forest), and Murphy would run like mad from one end to the other, with the leash dragging. I tried it the other day, and she ran about 50 feet, stopped, and looked at me. "What? - Mom, you're not holding my leash! I'll just wait until you catch up!" She's so sweet. 

The bone of my finger where Murphy tried to "attack" me is sore, but it will be fine! 

As I was cutting for one of the sew-alongs tomorrow, I quickly counted the number of sew-alongs I had recorded in that book. OH MY!!! If my count was correct -- there were 46! YES -- forty-six "complicated" quilts that I've done over the years, and I didn't write the earlier ones in the book, so I'm guessing there were at least 60!!! 

Well, I have to run --- there's a lot of stuff to do today. 


Have a super day, and if you are experiencing this weather  - GET OUTSIDE!!!


Ciao!!!


3 comments:

  1. Just a public service announcement here...the Region of York's Quilt Guild Show, " A Million Little Stitches" is this weekend! Over 250 quilts, a Tea Room and quilty vendors will be on hand...come see!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a 110% people watcher. Heck, I'll go the airport early just to observe the crazies and the "better than yous so I deserve........". 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to take a serger class with you, are you offering any online ones? I have family in Hamilton I could have stayed with to take those classes! But been doing so much driving need to stay home! I took Heather’s serger knowledge classes at Stitch by Stitch, now want to make something using it! You talk about all these classes you teach but have no idea where or how to get in on any! LOL! Pat Davies

    ReplyDelete