Wednesday, April 26, 2023

The pond is open - bring on the warm weather!

 I literally fell into bed last night. I hadn't slept well the night before, and at one point, I needed sleep! Thankfully, it was at the end of the day! But I had a great sleep, so I'm ready to go today!

It's my Dad's 90th birthday!! He is the hardest person to catch on the phone, as he is never home when I call, so I'll try and catch him later today. Happy Birthday, Dad!! Oh gosh --- it was only when I went to open the picture file that I realized his birthday is TOMORROW. 

So the quilting marathon continues! One more quilt is done. Again, this one quilted up beautifully! 

Customer quilt - DONE


I have a couple to trim, so I'd better get on that, and THREE more quilts have to be done before I leave on retreat, and I hope to get two additional ones done as well. There's another giant quilt slated for today, and I'm not looking forward to this one, but I'm sure it'll all work out!

While I was quilting, I also got the embroidery machine set up and running, as I have something that needs to be embroidered. That's a big area to fill! 

Ready to start embroidering


With LOTS of stitches at over 80,000 stitches with close to five hours of stitching. 

Stitch out progress


And it was working fine until it wasn't! I won't go into details now because this is a good learning experience for my embroidery clubs, so I'll share at some point. Let's say I have a bit of work to do before I can continue. NO -- I am not ripping anything out! The work is on the learning curve! And as they say - back to the drawing board or, in this case - the embroidery software! 

While both machines were running, I was prepping one more project for the quilt retreat. There are three in total, two of which are prepared, and the third one is almost prepped. I think after this, I might try and prep one or two more, and then that's it. All of these are for the serger, and NONE will take very long to complete, or so I hope!

In the meantime, I'm looking for a clothing pattern and cannot find it, but I have two tubs of clothing material under the long arm, and while the machine was running, I went through this one. I still have the second one to search through. 

A tub of clothing patterns and fabric


The thread container is spoken for, but I had to empty a scrapbook box to move the thread. Then I needed some shelf liner, and I swear I still had some from the last time I sorted thread boxes. But could I find it in Studio B? Nope, so I checked the kitchen and found some there - as if I'll ever use it in the kitchen! 

This must have been where I put my leftovers, as this piece was the exact size I needed. 

Shelf liner to line thread boxes


And now all the Wonderfil thin threads (Invisifil and DecoBob) are in there. The shelf liner helps them to stay in place and softens the noise of them rattling around. Lots of room to buy more! Just kidding! 


My thin threads in their new home


The pond was opened this week, so that is nice; if only it were warm enough to sit outside. It's relatively cool these days. You can't see the three waterfalls in the back, and I've been pulling dead debris from the pond with my net, so they didn't clean anything (they didn't need to); I'll keep at it! But you can see the lilies have already hit the surface! 

The pond is open!



I should find a picture of the pond when it was first made to see how much that tree has grown in the back. 

Oh, Miss Lexi -- who is comfy as all on the sofa with DH but not so comfortable in the bed in the living room. 

MOM --- don't let Murphy see me! 

What a goof! I helped her up there as she is so darn skittish but getting better - I caughter her sleeping in my office the other day, all by herself. Way at the back behind the table, which wouldn't have happened last year. I think she would love this bed if it weren't for her jealous sister. Murphy has to be the center of attention ALWAYS, and when I sit on that bed to give Lexi a cuddle, guess who is right there? 

I don't know what Murphy was doing yesterday, but she came in with leaves on her butt. 


MOM -- just helping to bring the outdoors in! 



Would those iRobots (the auto vacuums) pick that up? I'm considering getting one to pick up all the dog hair. We chatted about them at a sewing group the other day, and I was surprised at how many people have them. 

Then while I was sitting there having dinner last night, it started to hail! Just a little, the hail was small, and it didn't last long. 



Hail!



It's cool again today - crap - but actually, the cool weather is good as I'm not tempted to get outside, and I NEED to be inside quilting. But once I'm done with these three quilts, it could warm up! 


Remember, I'll be at the Simcoe County Quilt Guild in Barrie tomorrow at 1 PM. They meet at the Simcoe County Museum, and my topic is scrap quilts. If you get a chance, come as a guest. 


And there is the Virtual Retreat this weekend. Here are the links. 


Saturday, April 29 - starting at 6 PM EST

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89254233911?pwd=VGQrTnFybW1HMWpleHA4M2Q2NGVwZz09 Meeting ID: 892 5423 3911 Passcode: 982797


Sunday, April 30 - starting at NOON EST

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86119598156?pwd=ZDFxcElxS0NmeTRjczdSR2FXd3N2Zz09

Meeting ID: 861 1959 8156
Passcode: 053861


We always have loads of fun at the virtual retreats, and if you don't have the opportunity to get to an in-person retreat, this is a good alternative!! I can't wait, and I might be trimming quilts or sorting thread, but will I be sewing? I doubt it! 

On that note, I'm off to spin class. With operating both machines yesterday, I didn't get a chance to get much else done. OH -- I managed to get some paperwork done, and two of the three tasks got done. I'll have to squeeze in more paperwork that NEEDS to be done today, as well as that last errand. 

Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!!

1 comment:

  1. My daughter-in-law and son have two hairy dogs, have a house with all hardwood floors and they have a robotic vacuum. Her routine for the vacuum is to sweep the floor at night to get the majority of the hair picked up, then she sets all the kitchen chairs up on the table and moves the bar stools. The vacuum runs during the night and picks up what ever the sweeping left behind.
    If you think that the robotic vacuum will get all the hair, you will have nothing but a clogged/non-functioning vacuum. My DIL found out the hard way.

    ReplyDelete