Sunday, June 10, 2012

Connecting the dots.................


What a weekend.

First a big THANK YOU to everyone who supported me financially for The Ride to Conquer Cancer. It was an amazing year and in total $18.1 MILLION was raised for Princess Margaret Cancer Research.

And thanks to everyone for being a friend - it gave me LOTS to think about while on the road.

Anna, her husband Brent and I started out together and while we were safe - I was worried at one point. We saw a girl right in front of me lose control of her bike. Thankfully for me she went right (I was to her left) and she hit the curb and head over heels she went. We did not stop as there were so many people around - it was crazy congested, but she was riding with a friend and we heard her say she was OK.

There were so many people who really didn't know the rules of the road when riding a bike. They were all over the place, no respect for the car traffic and many times - just an accident waiting to happen.

Well - here are bitter NUMBERS from the weekend. We ended up splitting up - Anna twisted her husband's arm and he road the 100 MILE route on day one which for a new cyclist is a HUGE accomplishment. I thought I doing great, but it took FOREVER to get in.

Day One - Ride to Conquer Canacer

Day Two - Ride to Conquer Cancer


Here are some pictures to document the event.


The sign says it all!!!!!

During the opening ceremonies - looking west

During the opening ceremonies - looking east - see the CN Tower

Oh MY - the SUN actually made an appearance

Anna and Brent

Me
 A note about this picture. The BIGGEST decision of the day - what to wear?????   Should I wear a rain coat and if so - should I put the sleeves in. And WHICH rain coat - the big one or smaller ones. Anyway - I went with this jacket that is like a vest and the sleeves are like a bolero (with magnets to attach to the jacket). It is a great jacket. Oh yes - and it is BREATHABLE. I had one before that was NOT and it was like riding in a sauna!!!!

Did I make a good choice????   Oh yes - because I wore that vest most of the ride and when we got caught in a DOWNPOUR, I put my sleeves on. When I arrived at lunch about 10 minutes after the downpour stopped, there were TONS of people with their emergency foil blankets on. They went with just a JERSEY and it wasn't that warm especially with the rain. I was nice and warm and dry. The rain did not last long so even though my shoes filled with water, they quickly dried out (thank got for quick dry stuff and NOT that much rain).


The riders ahead of me shortly after the start - needed to be on your toes (and then who is the idiot taking pictures while riding her bike?????    - SHHHHHH - that would be me!!!!)

Riding through Etobicoke

A train near Norval

The bike coral - yes there were about 4,800 bikes in there!!!!!!

Anna and Brent arriving at camp in Hamilton


Now we had the best of everything......................
Our portable showers. These are the best - HOT HOT water and good pressure. I LOVE these showers. 

And every bathroom needs "those" facilities - lots and lots and lots of portapotties

A MASSIVE tent for the entertainment and eating - this year they put the tent on the paved parking lot instead of the grass. MUCH better and DRIER!!!!!    
 Let's just say that after the ceremonies - people left that place in droves. Everyone was tired and no one wanted to stay and dance!!!!!


More tents in the camp - there are a LOT of tents - the yoga tent, the massage tent, the drying tent - had clothes lines in side, the medical tent, the registration for 2013 tent, the food tent, the hot beverage tent, the beer tent - well you get the picture - there were a LOT of tents.................

More tents


We did not stay on site. Anna and Brent have a friend who lives minutes away and we stayed at his house. He was having a party, so we chatted for a bit - had a beer and then called it quits. I COULD NOT sleep. I was so tired that sleep would not come. DRAT - just when I need it!!!!!


Up bright and early and the SUN is out and it is going to be HOT!!!!!


 A view of Hamilton from the escarpment

Riding through some nice SHADY areas.

A pit stop - people just dropped their bikes everywhere - it was CRAZY!!!!!!!

At last - a welcome sight!!!!!!    See where that arrow is pointing???????    That would be the towers around Niagara Falls. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pylons - the END IS NEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People cheering you along to the finish line

More people cheering

The finish GATE!!!!!!!    OK - let me put the camera away - I need TWO hands for the brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!


Now I was going to get a ride home with Anna, Brent, her son (who was a sweep) and a friend who was helping him. They ended up with a YARIS to drive for the weekend. Hmmmmmm - he was going to trade it for a van so we would be fine. As soon as I got off the bike, the guys asked if I wanted my bike on the truck to get back to Toronto. Wait - I need a picture of me. LADY - there are FOUR spots left and going fast. I threw my camera at the guy and he took this picture!!!!!    My bike was the last one on that truck.


At the finish - HOT, but HAPPY
 Then I had to wait. Anna and Brent were behind me, but I had no idea how far. So I had my beer, I had something to eat................


That is a LOT of condiments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Finally I couldn't wait any longer. It was so hot and I was so sticky and EXHAUSTED - I needed to sleep. So I grabbed my bag and hopped on one of the GO buses that were arranged to bring us back.

Ah - just sitting in a comfy seat made me feel better. I had a nap on the way back to the start line. When I arrived, my bike was waiting for me.

The Falls


Thank GOD I took the bus home because they had to pile into the YARIS - four of them, luggage and TWO bikes on the rack. And they were really late. They would have had to wait for the van.



What a WILD weekend. But I've signed up again for next year. Can't wait!!!!
The best part - I don't hurt. When I got up this morning, I wasn't stiff, no pain (OK - a smidgen when I went to sit on the seat, but that soon went away). My eating and drinking are off and will take a day to get back in order and I am TIRED TIRED TIRED, and going to bed in a few minutes.

But let me tell you something - that BROOKS saddle was WORTH EVERY PENNY. I remember the first two rides - same bike, but different seat. My butt hurt so bad near the end - it was AWFUL. This year - NOTHING!!!!!!

Now I know - you are wondering about the title?????


Well - as we rode over the weekend, I went past so many places and it was like the ride connected them all..................

Past Square One and my favourite Chapter's
Imelda's house - Imelda who has cancer and I drove her to some of her treatments....
Ronda's house - went right past her place
Marian's house - again very close
Past NEMO that Marian and I took a picture of last week (yes - he was still fishing with his life jacket on)
Past Flo's breeder! (I know- it was weird)
Past a quilting customer house near Guelph
Past the Farm Toy and Museum where Marian and I drove one day
Past Jerseyville where Marian and I went geocaching


It was just weird - as lots of these places I wouldn't really know how to get to them and POOF - there they were. But it made me think about those people and a LOT of other people as well.

When you ride by yourself for those distances - you think of a lot of things. Mostly how STUPID the cyclists were and surprise that there were not more accidents.


On that note - I am out of here. My bed is calling and life will be back to normal tomorrow. I need a GOOD sleep tonight.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Got home and checked your blog - glad to see you had a good ride. We raised our glasses to you last night!

    ReplyDelete