Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Are we there yet????


Wow - what a day!!!   Even I was wondering where the stamina was coming from.

Had a GREAT day at $10 quilt class. Went through all the Dear Jane blocks - all thirty of them that are assigned for the summer. Most were pretty doable - there was ONE that is going to be a devil. I will post the homework pictures later - no time this morning. I have a date with my bike. Great homework from Farmer's Wife, Spring has Sprung and Hobo Quilt. Yikes - what was I thinking to do all of those in the same day???????

The Healing Cycle bike ride is today. I decided to ride 100 K instead of 100 M which is good because if I was doing 100 M - I should be on the road RIGHT NOW. They had asked me to donate a quilt and I managed to get the label on yesterday morning before I left for class. But then I had to drop the darn thing off.

Donation quilt

It is an I Spy. Had it in the cupboard and had completely forgotten about this quilt until Heather asked me for one. So I had to drop that off on my way from class.

While at class, Pauline gave me a box from our exchange project that was to go to Linda. I took the box (It was MINE, but I didn't peek). Then on my way down town after dropping off the donation quilt to pick up M from her modeling class, I thought - I am going RIGHT PAST Linda's house. So I took a "quick" detour to get there. Getting to her house wasn't the problem - getting BACK on the highway was. The first ramp was closed and I followed the detour to the next ramp - WHAT - this ramp was also closed. OK - deep breathes - deep breathes. Cause I am ALREADY LATE.

After much driving around - I managed to get on the highway and was FORTY minutes late to pick her up. No worries - she was out shopping and bought a pair of shoes. I must take a picture of them - OH BOY - I should have been on time. They are UGLY - well if you are a middle aged mom - they are UGLY. To a 16 year old they are gorgeous. Thank goodness she has her own money from her job to pay for them.

Then back home, but with a quick stop on the way to Chapters to get that magazine that I wanted. I know THREE DAYS in a row. Can you believe it - the magazine was GONE. All three copies were SOLD. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????    By this time - I was just so tired, I didn't even care. Hopped back in the car without buying anything - THREE DAYS in a row.

Had to have a cap nap and then I got to work.  Got the two customer quilts trimmed so she can pick them up later today.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine asked me if I had any baby quilts. Actually he asked me if knew anyone who had some baby quilts for sale. His boss's wife have twins at the beginning of June and the work group had collected money for a present. Don wanted to give them quilts. I referred him to someone else - he didn't ask me to make them and I didn't offer!!!!!    The person I referred him to had no quilts. Well - when I went to dig out the donation quilt - I saw that I had some small children's quilts that I had made and completely forgotten about. I asked him if any of those would do????   Well they really liked one of them, but there was only ONE. SO - I agreed to make another one.

Last night - I got the top together (OK - we are NOT talking rocket science here - they are just squares and no borders - how easy is that!!!)

Child's quilt

The backing is done too!!!!


Now the backing is done and ready to load on the machine. The quilts are made from flannel and I hope the twin boys like them. Of course - they are a tad too young to even notice at this point. Got to make the binding tonight and get it quilted after my bike ride. Then hand stitch tomorrow and I will be done. Oh yes - the labels are already made and ready to sew on.


I am madly trying to get everything done for the guild meeting on Monday. Those darn blocks of the month and the post cards - just kept putting them off and now I can no longer do that.

Block of the month for May - Yes like an idiot - I am making TWO of everything

Block of the month for April - this is a positive/negative thing and this counts as ONE

The good news is that these blocks above are DONE. The second set of hands is ready for satin stitching which doesn't take long. The last block for June (three applique shapes) - is almost ready for satin stitching. So I am in good shape to get those blocks done. The post cards - well that is another story. I know what I want to do - the materials are collected and the backs are already DONE so if I get myself going - a couple of hours and I should be able to complete them on time. I guess I will be working on postcards at Monday Motivators and I did NOT want to take my machine. Oh well - let's see how things go tonight.


In case you are wondering why I am doing blocks of the month from April and May. The guild collects all the blocks throughout the year. Then all the draws are done at the June meeting. It is a great idea and I think they get way more blocks that way. Some months - you may just not have time to do a block, but this way - you have the entire year to get them done.

And I have ONE other thing to get ready for tomorrow (can't show you right now), but it won't take long. So I am going to make it - then onto the next deadline. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR    - why do I do this to myself???????   Actually I don't mind it - just wish things would get spread out a bit - two guild meetings and $10 quilt in the same week is a bit much.

OK - reading all these self help books has been "good". Before when I was working on a quilt project, often the fabric leftovers would languish on the cutting table. To the point, the cutting table was pretty much hidden. NOW - the blocks are barely done and someone (who shall remain nameless) is tidying them up and sorting them and putting them away. STOP IT I say!!!!!    Actually went full circle on that one - from doing nothing with them to - they have to be put away NOW. But if the project is NOT complete - well there is NO TOUCHING or SORTING or PUTTING AWAY allowed. Good thing the obsessive side of me sees that!!!!



I haven't been doing very well on my 12 for (20) 12 projects nor have I got anything done recently on the borders, binding and backings project. I hope to get back to it, but there is just so much to do.  But I had been stalled on one project because I was missing some hand dyed fabric. Jane called me last week and it was ready so I picked it up.


Hand dyed fabric for the borders of my safari quilts


On that note - I see it is almost time to get ready for the ride. Then I can have another nap and then get back to work!!!!



Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment