Saturday, June 16, 2012

My name is Elaine and I AM A HOARDER!!!!!!



OK - so that is a bit dramatic!!!!  

Yes - I am reading ANOTHER book on the subject. For some reason I am fascinated by it. So bear with me while I work this out of my brain.


Oh yes - I was probably the ONLY person who DID NOT watch that guy walk over the falls last night.


So here is the book I am currently reading - called "Stuff". It is a GREAT book if you are interested in this hoarding subject. It is from a scientific perspective - both authors are professors on perfectionism, OCD, hoarding, etc.

STUFF

I am not even half way through the book and there are SO MANY quotes or scenarios that are ME!!!!

However - the true definition of a hoarder is those that amass large quantities of stuff to the extent that the stuff is depriving them or their families of a normal lifestyle. They are also unable to differentiate between what is valuable and what is not. They are creative and find a PURPOSE for everything they collect.

Well - something to that effect. Oh my goodness - when you read it - well I think of my Mom and her TWO houses of stuff (I think that is why I am compelled to read this stuff). Her problem - she does NOT see it. And even yesterday when I chatted about cleaning up - she always refers to my dad - never herself. Those are her things and there is a purpose for everything - especially the junk!!!!

Why do people hoard? - In a lot of cases, it is a traumatic event - the death of someone, physical abuse. In some cases, it is the comfort derived from the possessions and perhaps in childhood - they were mistreated, lonely or whatever.

Now I am in NO WAY a hoarder, but I have hoarder tenancies!!!!   They talked about newspapers which seems to be one of the BIG issues in accumulation of stuff. And LOOK - I have a stack of newspapers................


Stack of newspapers



And exactly like they indicated in the book - I have every intention of reading those papers!!!!   OK - before I go to teach this morning, I promise to put them all in the recycling.

But here is the thing - OMG - these cases are so like me it is frightening. So in the book, Irene started off by reading the papers and clipping articles that she thought were interesting. Then she didn't have time to read so she just started saving the papers and by having them - she would "gain the knowledge, information" in the papers. OH CRAP - where have I heard that before?????   IN MY MIND!!!!!!!!    I mean some of this book felt like they had searched inside my head. SCARY STUFF.

I am currently reading the chapter on MAGAZINES. OH OH - what am I going to do about that????   At least I am not as bad as the woman they talked about - she purchased TWO copies of everything. She felt she needed to keep one PRISTINE while she could read the other which she never did. I am NOT EVEN GOING THERE.   HELP HELP HELP.


Let's just pray that nothing traumatic happens in my life because I am DOOMED!!!!!

And I have SEVERAL boxes (thank god they are contained to boxes) of paper. Things that I deem important but they are NOT. And I can't just throw those boxes away - NO I MUST go through them to eek out the truly important.

Another way that I am NOT a true hoarder - first - all the spaces in our house are pretty clear. Things do have a home in our house (for the most part). And for the most part - they are put away - OK - so I promise to put those clothes in the closet today!!!!!   And I have stopped buying things for the most part.


Right now - while reading this book - I want to empty EVERY CABINET in my kitchen and clean it out. It really isn't that bad - I actually have empty cabinets, but there is stuff there that we never use. I've got to schedule some time for all that. I would love to have all the NON-QUILTING stuff cleaned out. Get rid of the papers, get rid of the clothes that don't fit, get rid of the dishes we don't use.

I realize while reading this book - that hoarding is a serious mental issue. Now I don't have mental problems - well none that I will admit to!!!!   But I know it would be easy for me to slip into an abyss in this area. Part of it started when M was born. I was home and busy with her - things slipped and it is taking YEARS and YEARS to come back to the surface.

The biggest problem now is - is it scheduling the time to do this? do I need someone to help me? What is stopping me from getting the rest of this mess cleaned up??????   And I know when I do - I will feel like a million bucks - nothing to drag me down, but to get there???????  


And did you know that hoarding is somewhat related to OCD?????   If I had to live my life over - I really think I would have become a pshycologist/anthropologist or what it is called when you study social traits of people. It is fascinating!!!!!

Speaking of getting things done - I finished a tinner block for Liz at the Brampton Guild. Those are going to be revealed at the next meeting!!!!   Yeah - and I WILL NOT SIGN UP AGAIN. Then I am trying to get everything prepared for my class this morning including printing ONE HUNDRED and THIRTY templates for their homework. Oh yeah - that was fun. And part of that included working on another block for that tinner project. Guess whose I was working on - Yep - that would be Liz again!!!!    She is also in both groups. That one goes until December and after that - NEVER AGAIN. But it feels good to get these things done.


Now why did I not watch TV last night? First - I don't watch TV - and I told M that I have forgotten how to turn on the TV (OMG - I'm becoming a HERMIT!!!)    But honestly - my brain just doesn't function with information overload. And adding more stuff by watching the TV - well just not for me. I did check out the details on the internet when it was over.

I told you - I could easily slip into a mental illness abyss!!!!    That is why writing this blog is so important to me (although Maria is keeping me busy at the gym in the mornings). Writing helps to keep my mind in focus.


Want to see what is happening with the sumac???????







Yes - it looks like it is slowly dying. At least those branches where I applied the chemical. Hopefully it will feed through the root system or I will have to do all the branches.

On that note - I am going to throw all those papers in the recycling. You know - in the book, people said that when they got to the point of throwing the stuff away that they felt that part of them was being thrown out or that they were missing some great opportunities/information when they threw stuff away. Oh boy - do I know how that feels!!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    (look around you - do you have hoarding tendencies?????



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. We're quilters, not hoarders. Have you seen the price of fabric!?! That stash is an investment, not hoarding. I keep newspapers to put under the cats' litter pans, but when my pile is enough for a while the rest get trashed. Still, just yesterday I was in a cranky mood, couldn't find anything, etc. and I just wanted to walk away from it all and never come back. Yeah, one of THOSE days.

    ReplyDelete