Friday, June 8, 2012

A Green Thumb


OK OK - so I didn't get ANY quilting done, but I did a lot of work!  I went to the garden. It was just that kind of day and those last bits of weeds were driving me crazy.

And every year I say "I am going to buy some annuals AND plant them" and I never do. Yesterday was the day.

Got a lot of weeding done - have to keep on top of it - as nice as it is to have that forest - those darn trees try to encroach on my backyard.

Then I got out my HEAVY DUTY pesticide to kill the sumac and NOTHING. It looks more healthy today than yesterday. OK - got to try a different ENTRY method - this time a BIG garbage bag over the entire branch and weight it down. However my backyard (well close to the sumac) smells of pesticide!!!

I don't have room for lots of flowers and I am wandering around the garden center and picked up some. Then I arrive home and realize that I bought a LOT of little ones, not a few big ones. And they are all different kinds of flowers, but the same colour? Who knew?   And they are too close, but who cares!!!!

I hadn't even started the planting and the bees were buzzing around like mad.

My little flower bed

 Since I don't have room for a lot of flowers and no room for veggies, I decided that I need LOTS of garden whimsies. After looking at the concrete statues which cost a LOT, I settled for this weather vane with frogs. It is pretty cute, but I need to have someone add an extra support to the base. They put ONE support beside the main pole and it isn't enough. They need THREE points to make a triangle - then it will stay in the ground. I have a sunflower that also needs a small fix at the bottom. Got to find a welder??????


One of my garden whimsies

Another garden whimsy


Oh yes - I was on a roll yesterday. New gardening gloves, a neat whisk to get rid of all the crud in the cracks and clean up the flag stone, new garden whimsies, new soil for the flowers and mulch. I still have TWO more flats of flowers to plant, but I ran out of time. Will have to wait until next week. Yes - because from 2:30 onward - I was a chauffeur.

One of my errands was to visit the optometrist. It appears that my eyes are getting BETTER. Well - my glasses are finally too strong by .75 and I am getting new lenses. This is such great news because I can't wear the blasted things for anything by driving and then I can't see the interior of the car. Hopefully this will help. I don't have bifocals - had them - well it is a long story. But actually this is MUCH cheaper to change without the bifocals so I am OK with that.


And I have put off buying mulch in those big bags because the thought of carting it to the back - loading the wheel barrow, up stairs and down to get to the garden did NOT appeal to me. However after buying two bags yesterday - I decided that this is the way to go. So I will be going back to the garden store for LOTS of mulch. That will clean up the weeded areas quite nicely.

The sun was out and the sweat was DRIPPING off my face as I finished working. I got the flower bed all nicely watered and then it started to POUR. Well that is good for the flowers.

Now I have to regig my calendar to squeeze in a gardening day. Hmmmmmm - what to shift??????



This morning I did NOT want to go to the gym. Seems like I was just there. But I trundled off and what a workout. Today we were on the treadmills. And we were hustling and puffing up 14% incline. Of course my heart rate is pretty good and recovers quickly, so that is good. I just hope I didn't over do it today because TOMORROW is the Ride to Conquer Cancer and yes I know the weather forecast isn't good, but as one person said - there is no bad weather, just bad apparel. Good point.

Might not get a chance to blog for a day or two. And I get to eat LOTS today. Yeah!!!!!!!   Crud - candy doesn't count?????

On that note - I have to walk the dogs and then off on an adventure today.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Elaine,
    I have a blacksmith in residence,
    Maryv

    ReplyDelete