Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Technical Writing


Another awesome day with Monday Mania.  So many laughs - got another project done and delivered (but can't share with you until next Friday (Feb 6) and advanced several others. I was hoping to come home and get myself all organized for next Monday, but that didn't happen. Will do that today. It really pays to have everything cut and ready to sew.

One of the things I like about Monday is that we encourage each other to finish some projects that have been languishing for a LONG LONG time. I think Claudette is probably the best at this. So is this good because she is getting them done or bad because she has so many unfinished???  Anyway - thanks Claudette - I appreciate the push.

We agreed on TWO projects to bring next week. I just have to sew buttons on a jacket and it will be done - it was on my radar screen so I was happy to agree to that one. The other project was hanging on my shelf last year, but I put it away for this year and where did I put it????  I must find that one before Monday. While searching for that project, I did a bit of tidying up so that really was a good thing even if I haven't found the project yet.

I took several pictures of stuff that people finished yesterday, but I am not posting them because they are the homework for our table runner class and I will show them that day! Sorry ladies!  I know that Veronica and Tish worked hard to get their project done and they look fabulous.

There is always a LOT of sewing going on, but I don't always get a chance to get around and see what everyone is working on. Paula was sitting right beside me and she is madly working on her double wedding quilt and she made several of these units. Lots of work in this quilt - lots of curved seams, but she seems to be coming along rather nicely!



Paula's paper pieced bits for double wedding ring quilt


There are two parts to writing the QUILTSocial blog. One of course is coming up with the content and taking the appropriate pictures which sometimes can be very time consuming if I have to make a sample to demonstrate what I am talking about. But when it comes to the text - well it is like writing a technical manual. Not quite, but almost. I can't just say - oh you know - attach that long thing - nope - I have to go back to the manual (if I have forgotten or don't know) the real name for the various parts. Let's just say that I am becoming VERY familiar with the manual and the sewing machine. I am having loads of fun with the process despite the time commitment.  It is the kind of learning that I like to do.  A while back Carla issued a challenge to Jennifer (a fellow QUILTSocial blogger) and myself.  Check out these links to read all about it. I will be showing you a bit of my challenge next week.   And you can always read the Tuesday and Wednesday link - Jennifer is introducing the Pfaff Creative 4.5 sewing machine.

Monday - Introducing the Challenge

Thursday - sewing the project part One

Friday - Swing project Part Two

Isn't that exciting?  I can't wait to see what Jennifer's quilt is going to look like.  And oh boy - we are completely different!


At last - I am grabbing a few real mindless (well sort of) projects to work on at Monday. The last couple I have done have been a lot of work so nice to work on something easy for a bit. And I am happy to say that I am actually getting things to completion. No MORE UFOs for me!!!!!!!!

This project was resurrected from YEARS ago. It is one of those stack n slash quilts. Called Pointless Wonder by Quilt Country (I've already made this quilt - this must have been the SAMPLE for teaching the class). The big rectangles were cut and the first slash was made, but that it where it has sat for years.   I managed to get that first slash sewn together yesterday. I will keep you up to date with my progress.

The slashed pieces of fabric - now they are ready to be slashed once more
I keep telling people that they need to practice their machine quilting. And it is even more fun if you try different types of batting. Actually would be a great exercise to get four bundles. Quilt EACH set the same way - one lightly quilted, one medium quilted, one set densely quilted and one  - do several densities on the same piece. Serge up the edges of the samples, throw everything in the wash and then evaluate the results. I LOVE the fact that the Warm Company has put out these little bundles where you get a sample of all their battings. You can find them at Fabricland for $1.00.  No further discount please!  If you get a chance to pick up these bundles - they are perfect for practicing. ACK - now there is going to be a mad rush to Fabricland. I think I have three bundles - I need ONE more!!!!

Sample bundle of battings from The Warm Company

OK - so do you know what these items are???


Mystery tools - ooops - I called them a tool - that is a hint

I have to say that the service at RONA is BRILLIANT. We have had so much trouble keeping our kitchen faucet TIGHT!  I know - silly thing, but very annoying. The tools pictured above are the tools that come with your faucet for the very reason of tightening them should you need to. Well we had the bottom one which was too small for our faucet. No idea why, but anyway - we needed the bigger one. I went to RONA to look for the bigger one. The fellow told me that they come with the faucet and are not for sale. But he went to the junk drawer in the plumbing department, found one and gave it to me. The same as the fellow in the hardware department the other day with my strapping problem.  I MUST write a letter to the manager and tell him how helpful the staff is. Unfortunately I did not get names of these two employees!!!!


 Hey - are you resurrecting some old projects????  I am having so much fun doing it. I know so many people who no longer feel committed to an older project. No desire to finish it for a variety of reasons - they used cheap, ugly fabric, technique they didn't like, fabric they didn't like, etc. Well - I don't even look at them like that. I look at them as it is a job to be done so I do it!   Someone will be able to benefit from the project at some point. I care more about the process rather than the object which is good as I like to think that makes me less materialistic!

If you want me to post a picture of a UFO that you have resurrected and FINISHED - send it to me. I'll post it. Could be kind of fun.  Have to think how we can challenge each other with this! Any ideas???

On that note - I have a TON of things to get done today. Funny how when one deadline is met, another looms immediately in its place.  I can't imagine what life would be like without some kind of deadline or commitment.  I guess I will be in my grave when I find that out!!!!

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment