Saturday, February 25, 2017

QuiltCon Day Two

I think I have one of the best jobs in the entire world! How lucky to be employed in the same field as your passion. Trust me, I'm very thankful every day!

And I got to participate in something that I have wanted to do for a long time. Well either be a witness to or participate in. That's a flash mob!  Yep - us Canadians did a flash mob yesterday. Initially it was to be a photo shoot right at 1:00 PM.  I had a demo at 1:15 so not a lot of time in between. As some of the Canadians were milling about, someone took charge and said - let's head to the staircase for the photo. As we got ourselves on the steps, I stood by the front so I could make a quick exit. Someone had been commandeered to take photos and I gave them my cell phone. In the mist of the photo someone in the group started to sing Oh Canada. Now you know how us meek and mild Canadians sing Oh Canada. We sing into our chests, we fumble for the words. NO - we did our National Anthem proud. We sang loud and proud.  There is a video clip of the last bit and I'll try to share that with you.  It was an awe inspiring moment and I'm so glad I was part of that.

I got to the convention center early in the morning for a photo op with Katherine Jones, the winner of the Best in Show. She is such a wonderful lady, so forthcoming with her methods for making the quilt.  A true winner and I'm so excited for her. I do have pictures of that also and will try to post. Too many pictures and not enough time to post everything!

Once that was done, I was able to wander around and look at the quilts. There were a few more people on the floor at this time, than last year, but no worries. It was still very much like a private tour. I got through one side of the quilts and looked at Angela Walters' display of quilting, the small quilts, the group quilts, the applique quilts. Some very interesting techniques, some very interesting styles and I'm so inspired to go home and sew. But there just isn't a lot of time to work on my own stuff. And let's not forget that The Task Master will be waiting for me when I get home.

If any of you watched the video with the video on Facebook with my Improv presentation - you'll see The Task Master.  Well, not exactly. I brought the book cover, NOT the book. Too afraid of losing it and besides, who wants to bring HER along with me on a fun trip!

Yes I did a presentation yesterday on Free form piecing or improv.  It was live streamed on Facebook so that was a new one for me. And then the video stays so you can share?  Well, I'm not up on all the technology so lucky that someone in our group is able to do that!

Improv is something that is so much fun and yet people are so afraid of doing it.  OK - so let's book some classes at guilds back home - we're going to do improv!!

Yesterday was a much quieter day than the previous days. But we knew that and it's possible that today might be a bit busier as it looks like people came for two days and then a new contingent of people are coming for the last two days. I love these shows as last night in the hotel lobby, we ran into two people that I've met over the last couple of years and they had just arrived.

Just in case you think it's all fun and games, it's not!  Remember those little bugs I told you about as we waited for the ferry???  I HAD to get some AfterBite last night. I'm in agony from the MANY, I won't say hundreds, but the MANY bites that I got. It's insane. I have two anklets of red bites, bites in my hair, around my neck and a few other places and I'm itchy like crazy!  We stopped at the Five and Dime after our dinner last night and yep - they had AfterBite.  While it's helping, I'm still itching like mad.

I bought some papers for hexagons yesterdays and so in the afternoon when it was a bit quiet, I made a couple of hexagons. Then we got talking to people and well, I think I only made five. But I hope to start sewing them together later today. I'm using GLUE.  So much faster. Each to their own on that one. I think I've figured out what "kit" of papers that I'm going to get tomorrow.

I did manage to get out a bit and chat to some people. I got to thank the APQS people in person for the quick response that I got when my long arm was in desperate need of a fix.  Met a couple of designer friends and met a couple of new ones. I haven't really walked the floor much. This morning I'm off early again to get two hours before the show to browse the quilts, look at the booths and where I want to go back.

I've gotten a LOT of comments on my tote bag that I'm carrying around. The one that is on AllPeopleQuilt.   They were searching for it on the ferry yesterday and then trying to share the link.  That was a nice moment.

Well I got to get out of here!

Have a super day!!!!


1 comment: