Monday, February 13, 2017

Motivation Monday - how to make labels


So - how are you and The Task Master getting along? It's been a grueling weekend. I quilted FIVE quilts (granted - some of them weren't big). The sixth one is sort of loaded on the long arm. Was hoping to get to that tonight, but too exhausted. I had to bind three of those quilts and the other two are trimmed.  I'm even too tired to edit the photos tonight, so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

But a happy super productive day and I love when that happens.

I promised that I would show you how I create my labels.  I use muslin for my labels, but you could use ANY fabric that is light enough for the printing to show. I use an InkJet printer and ONLY black ink.  The black ink is permanent (mostly - it will fade somewhat with washing so if you're making label for a baby quilt, this might not be the best way).

I start off in my word processing software - Word works fine, but I like Publisher because I can make the borders fancy. If one can do that in Word, I haven't figured it out.

I create a text box. Well, actually I make a text box for EACH label that I want to make. Normally I fit four labels on an 8 1/2" by 11" piece of fabric.



Four labels in their own text box


Once I'm happy with the text on the label, I print it onto an ordinary piece of paper.  I proof read once again and make sure that everything is positioned as I want it to be.

I cut a piece of muslin (untreated) to approximately 8 1/2" by 11".   It needs to be stabilized in order to go through the printer. I used to use freezer paper, but found it was too fiddly to use. I discovered Avery Shipping labels.  They come in FULL size which is 8 1/2" by 11".  PERFECT.

Avery Shipping labels
I remove the protective backing and stick the label to the wrong side of my fabric. Make sure it is well adhered. Then trim the fabric to exactly match the shipping label.

Remove ALL paper from the paper tray. Insert the label/fabric combo either right side up or right side down, depending on your printer.  From the computer, hit PRINT again and the labels will now print on the fabric!!!!   Keep the backing for the label and once you remove the muslin, put the protective backing back on the sticky label part.  The labels work up to 15-20 times before they lose their stickiness.

Press with a hot iron, trim the labels apart, fold under the raw edges and whip stitch in place.  DONE!!!!

Now if you want to only print ONE label or you want your label to be on those printed labels that you can buy, check out this information sheet on the Northcott Resource page that I wrote.  It works like a charm.

Helen from our Facebook group shared this photo. In addition to making her labels on fabric, she likes to add some of the matching fabric from the quilt front onto the label to give it a border.


Quilt label with a fabric border
If you happen to be using the purchased fabric sheets, they tend to be very tough to hand stitch through and this is the perfect solution.  The labels look pretty as well.   Thanks Helen for sharing!!!


You know how sometimes, you don't want or need to put a big label on a quilt.  My friend Lorna from Sew Fresh Quilts uses these labels that she had custom printed for her.   I liked them so much that I ordered some for myself and just got them.
Quilt labels

Not sure that I ordered the logo that big, but oh well - live and learn.  They weren't that expensive so I won't complain!!!!


I desperately need to update my Task Master. Things have been happening here and well, I need to get that book updated.  It's all good!!!!

I still haven't finished my January project and we're almost half way through February, but I plan to finish it by the end of this week. It's just that I have THREE classes to finish prepping for this coming weekend.  But here's the thing - I'm prepping NOW, not the night before. That is unheard of at my house!  And I still have a few things to finish prepping before we leave for Quiltcon. I'm not worried as there is still ONE week, but that will go quickly!

I had to clean out my sewing machine today - yikes - I think it's been a while!

Lint from the sewing machine

 I don't know about you, but these insanely long days at the sewing machine/long arm are crazy!  I love every minute of it, but I have to admit that I'm tired tonight.

I love hearing all the updates of what everyone has been working on. It's exciting to know that we're all getting stuff done.  I've NEVER been this productive. NEVER been this focused.  I'm loving it!!!!

It's been 6 weeks now if you started in January and you know what they say - after 6 weeks, things tend to become a habit. So this list making, task making - well I think it's here to stay!!!

On that note, keep posting your projects and keep The Task Master happy!!!


Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!

And if you want to follow along on Facebook and see the finished projects, check us out.


No comments:

Post a Comment