Saturday, September 29, 2018

Done, done and done!

Today it's all about what I've been working on. While it seems that my focus has been scattered and I worked on the computer for most of the week, I did manage to get some sewing done.

Even better, yesterday was a fairly relaxed day. Oh, you're never going to believe this. I've struggled for a while to upload books to my tablet. Mostly reference books. Well, yesterday I was loading stuff like crazy. I think I know what the problem was. It took a wee bit of response time to upload the book and perhaps I was too impatient? But yesterday I uploaded some reference manuals - some over 500 pages and there was NO PROBLEM at all.

I even installed two software programs on my laptop (yes - I got a new laptop  - a small one for travel) and there were no glitches. Could my technology woes be resolved? I doubt that. But I was a happy camper and that's all that counts.

Now let's check out what I've been working on.

It appears that it's mostly one project that I've been working on - but that's OK. 

I was working diligently on this project on Monday sewing days and I wasn't quite finished so I continued plugging away at the last Sit n Sew. I've been working on this project (Farm'ers Wife) for several months now, but I'm happy to report that ALL the blocks are DONE. That's 111 blocks. DONE!

Here's the first lot of them.

Six blocks from The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt

And then I kept right on going and got the last five done. Notice that I didn't necessarily save the tough ones until the last. Some of these paper pieced, some of them had to be recut because I goofed when I initially cut them. I was running on scraps at the end. Doesn't matter - they are DONE!!!!

The last five blocks

Here they are - tucked into the project box. Yeah!!!  What a great feeling it is to have these finished. That's my second set of blocks that I've completed this year. The 150 Canadian Women being the other one which had 150 blocks.

All the blocks in the project box

I'm not out of the woods with these silly 6" block projects as I have Sylvia's Bridal Samper to complete - I'd say there are about 40 blocks left? No - I have no idea really. That's just a crazy guess. I think I counted at one point, but now I don't remember. There's the Hobo quilt - that had 55 blocks in total and I probably have most of them left to complete. Let's not forget Farm Girl Vintage which is the one that I'm going to work on next besides my UFO project list. There are NOT many Mondays left in the year and that's the scary part!

There could be more small block projects but those are the three that come to mind.

I do try to double dip on my projects and if you checked out my links to QUILTsocial this past week, you would know that I was doing stuff for Farmer's Wife for the QUILTsocial posts.

This is the label that I made on the Designer EPIC (I love that machine). If you didn't read the post, you can check out the story at this link. Notice the dates on the label. I have ONE year to finish the quilt.

Label for Farmer's Wife quilt

I'm going to assemble the quilt with sashing between the blocks. And if you were following the QUILTsocial posts earlier this week, you would have seen what I'm doing for the sashing. This picture isn't the best, but I'm using the Designer EPIC to write out the names of each block. That piece of sashing will be attached to each of the blocks (hopefully the correct block - the blocks are all labeled with a piece of paper) and then sewn together. This picture is NOT The best, but hopefully, you get the idea.

The sashings for The Farmer's Wife quilt
 Everything is now safely stored in these two project boxes. I'm over half of the sashings stitched out and hope to get them completed quickly before I forget how.

Everything is now stored in two project boxes
Once the sashings are completed, all the blocks are going on the wall and then I'll start sewing it together.

However, last night I was taking some inventory and there are SEVEN quilts for magazines that need to be completed before the end of the year. Fortunately, none of them are huge or time-consuming -OK - I lie - at least three of them are a fair amount of work. No make that four of them. Oh well - and I long a few quilts to quilt on the long arm. I'll be busy right up until the end of the year. That's good - if I'm not busy I'll die. Isn't there an insect that functions like that?

Now that I have the blocks and the sashing chosen, I put this big basket of fabric away. I won't need it again until I get to the outer border/binding and backing stage and that's a wee ways away. 

Basket of Kansas Troubles has been put away
 I managed to get a couple more blocks trimmed on the Halloween quilt. And I still want to try and fix the spider web that got messed up on one block. It's going to be tight to get this completed for Halloween, but at least I know it can be done for next year. I can enjoy it on my wall. I passed a house yesterday that was decked out in Halloween decorations. Halloween is still a month away!!!

A bit more progress on the Halloween quilt

And that's it for today. Progress is being made - just not as fast as I would like. But you know the story of the turtle and the hare. Slow and steady! That's me! Slow and steady!

Have a super day!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment