Monday, August 5, 2024

Day 5 Camino 2024

 What a difference a year can make. I got the shoe thing figured out. No blisters. Well, that's a lie since there is one small one under the callus on my baby toe. It's always been a problem spot and YET I have loads of room in my shoe. I think my gait just calls on the next toe to annilate that poor little guy. He just gets crushed!!!

But the best news is that it does not hurt. I can feel it, but no pain. 

My knees are doing OK. The brace (I'm still in shock that a piece of foam can make a difference) helps a lot and I've noticed that it seems to bother more in the morning than later in the day. Perhaps it just gives up trying to make me stop. I'm trying to stretch it out and keep it massaged to keep the pain away. And the European anti-inflamatories seem to be much stronger than NA ones. I should bring some home!!!!

I've not had to resort to pain pills, so that a good thing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will continue to be good. I've got to keep stretching to keep the tight muscles away but that's a next to impossible task, but it's getting easier every day. 

I had an amazing sleep in my real bed last night. I think there was one other person in the building and I heard him leave shortly before 6, so I was good with that. I even had a dream about sewing, so the sleep was deep. 

Then I started walking and beautiful paths out of Cacabelos with lighting right out the city limits as do most villages and towns. Even the small ones. 

I stopped along the way for not one, but two chocolate croissants. I am NOT a big eater on the Camino. I find that food makes me feel unwell with all that exercise and the pastries seem to give me energy without the digestion issues. I'm good with that - those pastries are amazing and I will miss them when I get home. 

I'm also not a big drinker on the route. I know -- one should hydrate, but the couple of oke a day (GASP!!!!!) do the trick and when I arrive at the albergue, I swig down the water. I usually have to get up once in the night, so I figure I'm doing OK. 

It was a bit cool this morning and on into the day. Why? Well, its early when I start and we are in the Leon Mountains, and we had blessed shade for a good portion of the day. Honest to goodness shade and I was in my glory. I LOVE the shade. 

Seeing familiar faces along the way as you get to meet others, but Iˋm all about solidude on this trip, so nice to visit, but I walk alone! 

So much to think about, but at the end of the day if you asked what I thought about, I couldn't tell you. It's about nothing and that's exactly what I wanted. I take tons of pictures of the flowers and the road and the surroundings, so that keeps my mind occupied for a good part as I swear at why I can't get my camera phone to start up quicker and then there are the flies. 

Today, because of the shade, they seemed to be nasy. Why? Have they not seen the violent swipes of my arm? Do they not realize that death awaits them if I can get my hands on them? Nope - they're just stupid flies!!!! And of course, they love the shade. OK -- not complaining about the flies. I'll take them with the shade. 

I started in Cacabelos and ended up in La Faba which was my destination. I don't need to be a hero and walk further. That was about 25 KM, but it felt like a 100. Why? We climbed the ENTIRE day. The climb was gentle all day, but it was steady. Then we arrived at the last couple of KMs and OH MY. We were on the road and it was a steep climb. Some of that was in the sun and I was a bit sweaty. 

Then the path took off into the forest and it was flat. And shady!!! This is like winning the lottery. However after a few hundred meters (probably less), the path became rocky and STEEP. I mean STEEP. There were times when it was a challenge to move the next foot forward and I almost felt at times that a misstep would have me tumbling backward and down the hill which would NOT be good. 

The path had many switchbacks and just when you think the path is done, another switchback and more path just as steep as the previous bit. I did pretty well at the beginning, but then I needed to stop a few times. I felt like my heart was going to pump right out of my chest!!! 

I was almost at the top when two young men passed me - practically running with their music blaring!!! I stepped aside and let them go!!! I didn't need to be reminded of my age and bad knees, but mostly I didn't want to hear their music. It was LOUD!!!!!

Just as I arrived at the top, the french lady whom I met the other day met up with me and we headed to the albergue at the top of the hill. OK-- not the top of the hill. Itˋs a dorm run by the church and it seems somewhat busy, although not even half full. I hope it's relatively quiet. 

There is no food here, but there's an amazing bar just up the hill a bit further. We could have stayed there as well, but one must be open to all kinds of sleeping arrangements and most people go to bed early. 

The blog is getting later and later as I seem to be arriving later. Even though I should be able to walk that 25 KM in just over 6 hours, with all the climbing, that is not possible. Then I need a shower, wash the clothes, and have something to eat, plus post to Facebook.

The rest of the days here all have climbing. Some days more than others. No internet, but thatˋs OK -- I have a massive data plan for one month, so Iˋm golden. Itˋs so strange when you think Iˋm somewhere in the middle of the Leon Mountains and have the same serie or better than I do back home!!!! The world is just tech crazy!!!!!


The one sentence for today: A great day, steady climbs until the end when the hill was short and STEEP. But if you keep putting one foot in front of the other, guess whatÉ  you do get there!!! Hang in!!!!

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!!



8 comments:

  1. Is it possible to ice both your knees for 30minutes when you stop walking before you do anything else? It can make a world of difference.

    Walk on! I gotta get back out as I didn't even get 4miles this morning. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really Nancy opportunity. But we have a small fridge here..I have a small cloth I can freeze and use that. Thanks

      Delete
  2. To start the camera on your S23 instantly 2 quick presses on the bottom button will do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must try that. Usually you open and one swipe up, but I seem to mess it up

      Delete
  3. So glad you’re doing well. Those count down signs are so so encouraging. You’re making such good progress! Do keep an eye on that blister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm bandaging it daily..wrap in gauze, but I see the skin has opened on inside of toe. I'll throw some iodine on it tomorrow and better wrapping process. No pain. The way I like it

      Delete