Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Day Seven

 I have a love hate relationoship with this little keyboard. It's easy to set up and relatively lightweight, but the dang thing causes many typos an takes a long time to type. Not complaining - just an observation!!!

Today was an amazing day. WAIT  let me tell you about last night. 

So I'm an albergue with room for 16, but we are only 4, so I think it's going to be a good night. NOT!!!! When I went to bed at 10 PM, one other person was quietly listening to her phone and the other two were not back. I went to sleep. Then at lose to midnight, I woke up because the one other person in the room was dictating something into her phone. YES--- outloud. Seriously..........   I didnˋt care and told her what I thought. I mean seriously - that was extremelyy rude behavior. 

Then at 12:30, one of the other people came back and went right to bed. But at 1:30, the final person comes in. Where she was, I have no idea. and someone was with her, so they are whispering. Iˋm sorry, but your whispers are NOT QUIET. 

Luckily, I went right back to sleep each time, but boy oh boy -- people are rude. And then of the now five people in the room, THREE of them had alarms. The first at 5:45. Which would be so bad, except she was still in bed when I left at 6;30. Sigh.......

But other than that - it was an amazing day!!!!! I walked fromo Triacastleia to Casa Barbadelo. I'm in the middle of nowhere, but there's a pool and the weather is amazing. 

There was very little in the way of services along the way, so it was fun when I spotted a place with all kinds of breakfast food and you left a donativa (donation). I had a banana and some kind of biscuit. 

I barely saw anyone all day which was amazing. I'm OK with that. I really like to walk alone and I haven't walked with anyone. I spotted a small Casa beside the road and I was getting hungry, so I decided to stop. I wasn't going to, but something pulled me in. I met the french woman who has been walking for 7 weeks. And the Napolitaine au Chocolat were the best I've ever eaten. I wanted to buy lots and bring with me, but I didn't. They are best eaten warm and it was just what I needed. 

Then I arrived in Sarria, which is the start point for anyone who wants to walk the short version of The Camiono. The last 100 KM (more or less) to Santiago. I half expected to meet up with waves of other people, carrying only a light day pack, but while Sarria was busy, it wasn't crowded. 

OH -- we have walked through much farm country today. And one must mind the cow patties. I also spotted some horses and goats, which seem to be rare. The goats were in Sarria - well, on the outskirts. 

And I love how the Spanish have conserved land. The farmers live in a village, which the barns below their houses, or at the edge of the villages. And well, if you have ever lived near farm animals, it can be an interesting experience. Mind those cow patties!!!

There was climbing. There will always be climbing and letˋs face it - with the climbing, there are the descents. Iˋd rather be climbing - Imay be huffing and puffing as some of them are pretty steep, but at least my knees are Ok with that!!!! But they did pretty good today. I took anti inflammatory, and massage by me, but no pain pills required. 

The best thing about the climing is that the mountains are getting smaller, so the climbs and descents are less!!!!! That's very exciting to say the least. 

I did not want to stay in Sarria tonight. I have visions (probably unfairly) of throngs of people starting out and it being a crazy situation. So I'm about 3 KM west of Sarria and so the start of the day should be quiet. When I last checked in my room, there were 4 of us in a room for 8. 

this albergue is in the middle of nowhere. It's not really attached to a village, so I figured it would be pretty quiet. And it is, except for the seniorita who has now been on the phone with her boyfriend for hours!!!! There are earbuds for that!!!! I don't get why people think we want to hear both sides of the conversation. Not that I can understand that, but seriously ---- get earbuds!!!!

There is no true distance marker it seems. The book is different from the sign posts, whih are different from the app. But it appears that we are less than 100 KM from Santiago!!! Wow!!!! OMG--- -the seniorita is leaving!!!! Now Iˋm in heaven!!!

I stopped in Sarria to have lunch which is something I donˋt usually do, but I had my ensalada mixed (tuna, lettuce, tomato, asparaghus and onions. Itˋs the best thing around. 

The paths were once again, shrouded with shade, but we didnˋt really need so much since it was cloudy for the morning. The sun is out now and itˋs a glorious day - not too hot. 

Can you imagine in my meager backpack of posesssions, there are things Iè never used and will likely never use. Iˋll share when I get home. I could come with less next time!!! OMG - did I say that? 

The one thing that makes me feel so blessed about this trip is the ability to walk without pain. No blisters (well, just that teeny one that doesn't hurt) and my knees ache, but not sharp pains. I feel like dancing around the albergues. It's a beautiful thing!!!!

the one sentence for the day: This is about as close to perfection as I could get. Shady paths, ups and downs, but not as high, cloudy without rain. Food when I need it. And my body is holding up!!!!!


On that happy note - I'm out of here. Don't forget to check Facebook for my photos. The blog application is so different on my phone and I don't want to get into trouble ddoing something like addiing photos!!!!!

Have a super day!!!!!   (sorry for the mistakes and grammar!!!!)

Ciao!!!!


2 comments: