Saturday, August 24, 2024

Tidying up the fridge door

Oh, what a huge disappointment! Yes, they smoothed out the ruts without adding fill, but they did not add pavement to those parts. 


No extra pavement in the forest!


Nope—it appears they just added another layer of pavement on top of the existing one. Good grief, this is a path for NON-motorized vehicles, but now we seem to have highway-grade pavement. In some places, it's almost a foot thick. Sigh.


Thick pavement!!!!


Another day - another quilt done. This was a small one, so quilting it didn't take long. And NO bindings got done. I slacked off a wee bit yesterday. But we have a Virtual Retreat this weekend, so I should be able to get all the quilts done. I even went so far as to pull the next group of ten quilts. I know --- I couldn't help myself, but it's all in the storage area, so everything is tucked out of sight until I'm ready. I'll aim for November or December, as my schedule will be busy between now and then. 

Community projects quilt - DONE


M sent a note saying that it's been NINE years this fall since she packed her car and moved to BC. WOW, so I've been looking at this refrigerator door for way more than nine years and saying that I need to tidy it up. 

I removed everything that was NOT a travel magnet. WAIT -- I saw this morning that I still have a few non-travel magnets, so those will go today. Then, I'll share what's left and what I will do with the stuff. 


The messy fridge door

But this is how the decluttering process goes. You try to start with the large areas, which will take the most time to declutter. Little places like this won't take much time, but it will still take time because you need to sort out the giveaways from the garbage and arrange what you are keeping. 

More applique got done - I'm still on target for the quilts (despite needing to put two bindings on) and the applique. Here's what I was thinking when I worked on the applique yesterday. I'm working on a top-of-the-line sewing machine, but this applique can be done on any machine. But here's the thing -- you NEED to understand the machine's functions to make the machine work to your advantage. And as always -- a good tool means a good result. So, regardless of what you sew on, ensure it works properly. As in the right needle/thread combination, tension, clean bobbin area, etc. 

Here's the function panel on the Husqvarna Viking Designer EPIC 3. I mostly used THREE functions to stitch my applique. I need to tie the threads off at the start and end of each stitching line, and I'm letting the machine do that. See the button that is illuminated? That's the needle up/down, and I need to use that to bring up the bobbin thread and keep the needle in the down position when pivoting around curves or corners. The button on the top row, just to the left, is the Tie off function, and the one to the right of that is the Stitch Restart function. And then, of course, I used the presser foot up and presser foot down functions to the right of those two rows. What's also extremely important is the ORDER in which you press those functions. 


The function panel on the Designer Epic 3



Note -- I do NOT use the scissors. I know sewing machine companies make this out as a super function, and I guess it is, but it is the least used function on my machine. Why? Well, it cuts the bobbin thread short, and I HATE that. I can't control or grab the bobbin thread when using the scissors, so I cut with manual scissors, and then I'm the one in control. It gives you much cleaner stops and starts for applique and machine quilting. And when I'm piecing, I mostly chain-piece, so there's no need for the scissor function. Yes, I use it occasionally, but it's rare!! I want to be in control, NOT the machine. 

Of course, I used my open-toe applique foot. I finished my daily quota of applique before dinner, and all was good. 

Open-toe foot for applique



And here's what the applique looks like. I'm using a double blanket stitch, and I love the look. If I had done this with the embroidery machine, it would NEVER be as accurate as I am! The other critical thing with applique is understanding the stitch's sequence so that when pivoting around corners and curves, it looks nice, like my stitching. Otherwise, if you pivot in the middle of a stitch, it can look pretty messy. 

The applique is neat and tidy!


I'm using my 50-weight threads. See how organized they are? I love those drawers, as they can be brought out from the small cabinet where they stay. They are organized by color, and I pick the best color from what I have. If it's not a perfect match, who cares?!! I would LOVE to have one of every color that Gutermann makes in this 50-weight thread. I love it. 


Threads for my applique


Dare I say that I might actually be enjoying the applique? 

So, back to the daily quota -- here's something else to keep in mind when working on a large project. In most cases, you are the one that sets the deadline! Be realistic about setting the deadline. If you're working full-time, don't suggest that you can finish a king-sized quilt in a week. You'll get discouraged, and it'll become a UFO. And don't let your head mess with you -- just tackle the job like it is - a job and get it done. Then you can reward yourself after!! It's incredible how our heads can mess with us.

We are all familiar with FOMO (fear of missing out). Someone posted yesterday that they have FOMU (fear of messing up!). We need to silence that voice and just go for it. Remember, the more you do, the better you become, and despite my "lack of enthusiasm" at applique, I've done so much in my life that I'm darned good at it! 

I'm finding that my new focus in life, or should I say my new focused life, has made me a more relaxed and calm person. And because I don't pack my entire day with scheduled jobs, it allows for some freedom to laze in the gazebo, do something else, do nothing at all, or read. So, for those struggling, STOP trying to do so much. Put three critical things on your list for the day, and anything else is a bonus, and then you can stop beating yourself up for not accomplishing what you "should" have done. 

Murphy is a brat and an attention seeker. She's one of those children from the past who, whenever the mom got on the phone to talk, would be the moment they most needed her! Not that any of us ever did that with our mom.

I grabbed the phone and went outside to chat with my parents for a while, and there was Miss Murphy—a needy child. I gave her a new toy the other day—a bright orange one—so hopefully, we won't lose it. Of course, she is playing in a "danger" area, and she knows it. She deliberately goes to chew in this corner. 

Mom -- look at me - I'm playing with my new toy



Oh, Mom!!! I need help. The toy accidentally went into that crack, and it's too deep—I can't get it out. 



Help!!!!


Oh, Murphy, you are a very silly girl. I got it for her and gave her a stern, silent look while I was on the phone. 

And then she likes to do this when I leave. She has her bed in the front window, and sometimes, she jumps up there, but other times, she stands under this table in the other window. The tables are there, mainly so she doesn't jump on the window (if she gets over excited by something passing by), and it's cute to see her poke her head under the table and watch. I hear people as they walk by - "Oh --- look, that dog is so cute!" And indeed she is!!!!

MOM - I miss you already!!!


Fall is around the corner -- it's pumpkin spice time! I'm sure these signs have been out for a while, but I snapped this yesterday on my way to the grocery store. There is a Starbucks in the grocery store. How convenient that is. I wonder how many people actually buy from that location? It's on the way IN rather than the way out. I'd think having it on the way out would be better. I don't want to sip a latte (ick!) as I'm shopping, but I'm sure some do. The grocery carts all have cup holders in them. 


Pumpkin spice time!!!!



Gosh -- I got a blister on my heel when I got home. I got it from wearing a pair of socks with a hole in them. I've never had this happen before. The socks are gone, but the blister remains, and I hope the darn thing isn't infected. It feels better this morning, but holy - that thing has hurt. What a kicker -- I get stupid blisters when I'm home. But that's better than being away and having to walk 25 KM with it. 

Remember that we have a Virtual Retreat this weekend!!! I'm excited, although I suspect it'll be quiet, and that's OK. I have applique and bindings to get done! The next quilt is NOT ready to go this morning, as I have to piece the backing, and it's going to take some finagling to use the fabric I have. It's all about using up, so I'm OK with that. The quilt is not huge, so it won't take long. 

Here are the links:


Saturday, August 24 - Starts at 6 PM EST

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89816483795?pwd=Mjc3M3pvVmZPdjdsQzlHS3Zhck52dz09

Meeting ID: 898 1648 3795
Passcode: 248667




Sunday, August 25 - Starts at NOON EST


Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82983517671?pwd=ODdsa1FJenQwdFNaQWFTNGd4bEhPZz09

Meeting ID: 829 8351 7671
Passcode: 117636



So, if you have a sewing task or any other task that you can work on while on Zoom, come join us. The chit-chat makes the time go by, and you don't notice how much you're getting done!

I'm off to walk the girls, and then I have an applique design that I need to figure out on the computer so I can stitch it out. Hmmm—I need to send it to my Dad, as I bet he could figure the thing out in a flash. He's not "working" this week because he cut his hand. I might just do that!!!! 


Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. When my son was younger my quiet me time was Sunday Morning at the grocery store with a Starbucks. Sad I know but I looked forward to it ☺️.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEY ---- that works!!!! I'm in and out of the grocery store in a flash, so that would never occur to me!

      Delete