Thursday, August 8, 2024

Day Eight - 2024 Camino

 Is it really Day eight? I can't keep track of stuff. Like I suck at calculating the mileage. Here I was thinking that I was doing 20 KM today, but it was more like 26.5 or something like that. 

I've no idea!!!!

Well  - one must be careful what you wish for. That girl - the chatty one? She was in my room! So help me!!!! But between her and her mother, the two of them were on the phone constantly. There was an older gentleman in the room and he wanted to go to bed around 8 PM and he stood in the room and stared at them. They went outside. 

But then at 5:30 --- the older guy and the mom and daughter alarms went off. 5:30???? What's the point? The ladies had their light on and the guy took the longests shower ever. Oh well, I don't seem any of them today, so that's good!!!!

I have four room mates tonight and they all seem like the quiet type. 

I got up and was ready to leave by 6:30 - my ususal time. It's still a bit dark, but you can see the road without constantly needing a light. I have a small flashlight in the event I need to check for Camino signs. So far  so good and havne't gotten lost.. 

The app works amazing well for keeping one on track and I wouldn't do The Camino without it. At some point today, I overrode the Camino signs and followed the app. 

Still walking through farm country and passing lots of cows and small farm/dairies that are all connected to the local villages. It can be a bit stinky a times, but it's all part of the adventure!!!

I was expecting to see a huge increase in the number of people I saw on the route, but I'd almost say I saw fewer people than normal. How can that be? So if you don't know, the last 100 KM of The Camino (800 KM) is what many people do. They start in Sarria. That still qualifies them to get their certificate (compostella). 

I intentionally walked past Sarria yesterday as I did not want to start with the masses. And this is the low season, probably because of the heat. What heat??? 

Anyway, two people ran pastt me -- ran past. They had small packs and were young, so no wonder. They are on a bus trip! 

The terrain was beautiful today. Lots of climbing and some descents, but nothing that wasn't very doable. I think I could have kept up a conversation on all ascents. There were a couple of descents that were somewhat steep, but overall, it was a good day. My knees didn't protest too much. And I find that they seem to bother me most once I lay down. Now why is thatÉ 

OH- I know -- if they get out of the frontward alignment, they are not happy. So I've got something on the bed to try and keep them straight. I took an anti-inflammatory but no pain pills. all is good. 

WAIT - the day wasn't all rosy and I had one of those mental days that was hard. It's all about the flipping map again. I thought I was doing abou 20 KM, but it ended up being 26.5, so no wonder I wasn't getting anywhere fast. 

Anyway, there were few places along the road to eat, but I managed to find a small cafe in the middle of nowhere. Eveything is in the middle of nowhere here!!! No Napolitaine au chocolat!!!! I had cake instead. 

It was a long way to the next stop, and I was running out of gas. Well, sugar to be sure. And the last 5 KM before Portomarin, my right foot was bothering me a lot. I was trying to decide what the next days after I finish would be like and I think my body was telling me that it had enough!!! 

I was NOT going to stop in Portomorain - the plan was to get to the next village which was 8 KM away. I didn't think I could make it. 

But at last I arrived in Portomorain with visions of a mangled foot and would I be able to walk tomorrow? Amazing how your brain just short circuits when it's run out of gas and you are in pain. 

After crossing the river and up a big flight of stairs, I found the restaurants. I tell you, the servers are crazy here!!! The kitchen was closed, but the times were not posted. I asked for a salad. Kitchen closed. And she walked away from me. I was standing at the counter. SEriously???? Ask me if I want something to drink or something else to eat. but she just walked away. 

I am not judging and I'm sure they get their fair share of disgruntled customers, but sheesh!!!!! So someone else helped me and I got a coke and a mufin. I chomped that down on the patio and then decided I couldn't put off looking at my foot any longer. So I clomped over to the square in front of the very boxy catheral and pulled my sock of. 

So before I get into what I found, let me tell you about that little toe. It has PLENTY of room in my shoe, but I think the shape of my foot somehow squashes the darn tihing and it ends up being sideways when I walk, not upright, if that makes sense. as a result, it gets crushed by the toe next to it and ends up with a mohawk callus over the top. 

A blister had formed which I had not drained. Which was a very bad thing on my part to neglect. When I bandaged it up this morning, it was in the very dim light outside and I must not have done a good job as the blister was worse and because of that pain, I think I put more pressure on the left side of my foot where I have a bunion. 

Because of that I got a blister near the bunion and that was causing me much issues. Soo in the square, I drained that blister and bandaged it up. It was PERFECT!!!!! I feel ery good about my new medical skills. With the food (sugar) and the pain gone in the food, it was easy o walk the next 6.7 KM (made a mistake - it was not 8 KM). 

I arrived at the albergue, shortly after 1 PM, which is when I want to arrive. And these days, itˋs perfect. The mornings have been cloudy and I didnˋt need my hat today at all. Shortly after I arried, the sun came out!!!! I just heard someone who arrived about 30 minutes ago say that the last three hours were brutal because of the sun. I wonder how far she walked and at what time she startedÉ 

This albergue is in the middle of nowhere - I kid you not. But it has a pool, so I swished my feet in there for a bit. We are close to a barn, so we may hear cows tonight, or at least tin the morning. 

I had the best shower of the entire trip here. Itˋs absolutey amazing how these little oasis pop up!!!!! Iˋll go off the beaten track any day for these treasures!!!! 

This is why I donˋt like recommendations -- Ihave nothing to compare it to, so there are no disappointments. 

Most place offer a pilgrim meal. A starter, a main course, and the dessert. Plus a drink -- small beer or wine. I'm not a fan of the meat courses (main), so I've started asking for two starters and that suits me just fine! I had an amazing salad with goat cheese and pasta. I certainly won't be hungry tonight. All for 14 euro. Which is about 21 CDN. 

The one sentence of th day: there are times when you think you can't go on. Look inside -- what's missing? FOod, a quick fix or both. Solve the problem and moe on!!! You are STRONGER than you think!!!!

And now back to reading my book. This Robert Galbraithe book is over 1,600 pages and I'm now about 75% done. It's due in four days. I should be able to et through it!!!

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us along on your trip. It's very interesting to read about your experiences.
    Sharon F

    ReplyDelete