Sunday, August 11, 2024

Day Eleven - The Camino

 ok, lets see how this is going to work. I'm in bed with my little keyboard which bends. Too lazy to get up and go downstairs to the desk. 

So the unthinkable happened today. I walke 40 KM, but that was not my plan. Here's what happened. 

I had 40 KM to finish the Camino and my plan was to walk about 23 today, leaving 17 for tomorrow. However when I arrived at that town, the two alberques on the route were full!!! Full???? That had never happened to me before, but I guess I wasn't the only one with that idea. 

There was another albergue up the road and off the path, so I trudged UP the hill to that one. Nope - it was also full. Well now what? 

I had something to eat and mulled it over. I could got a bit further as there were many other albegues along the way. But one you got to a certain distance, why not just walk all the way? 

When I couldnt find a place to stay, it was about 12:30. Adding another 18 KM would bring me in about 4:30. Could I pull that off

My feet were OK, the two pinky toes were a bit sore, but once I got them going, they numbed right out. Would I have the stamina to walk 40 KM

Letˋs just walk and see what happens. On all the days, once I reached my chosen destination, I was done!!! Today was different. Thankfully, going out out of th way to that third albergque wasnˋt too far off the path and before I knew it, I was back on ytrack. 

The mileage markers helped a lot. They helped count down the KM bit by bit. As the KM melted away, I thought to myself, maybe I can really do this!!!! 

Several times, an alberque or a sign to one called my name and at one point, a woman poked her head out and yelled at the person who was just passing me and said, she jut had a great shower. OH-- that was tempting!! I walked about 200 M and then looked back. Then looked forward and kept going!!!!

I really hadn't eaten much all day except high sugar pastries, coke and water. I've always been like that on trip. I just an't handle basic food. too long to digest perhaps?? 

At the 5 KM mark, one more coke. A bit of a rest for the legs and knees, and toes and I was off. How hard could 5 KM be??? I should say that by this point, my shin also bothering me, so I stopped to stretch a bit from time to time. 

Let's say that the paths were amazing. OK - there were climbs and descents, but it was mostly shady which makes a huge difference, but I still wore my hat and sunglasses. Althgouh when I could, I took them off. Just too dang hot with all the climbing. Seriously -- I dont think anyone could have prepared me for all the climbing, but we are in the mountains, so it's to be expected. And some of those climbs were steep. I didn't have too much trouble on the ascets and the descents were pretty decent pitch. So all was good i the knee department, except fatigue from the distance. 

At last, shortly after that last stop, I could spot Santiago through the trees. OK-- I do NOT see the cathedal which was my ultimatee goal. Its much diferent when you walk into Leon. That cathedral is tall and you can see it as you walk. Well sort of. 

As I got into Santiago proper, there was still 3 KM to walk nd NO athedral in site. where the heck is the dang thing. Let me guess - itˋs up a hill!!! 

Well, that was the LNGEST 3 KM of the entire walk!!! but at last there it was - the giant square in front of THE cathedral. Iˋve seen countless pictures of it as others posted their arrival in the Facebook groups. How was I going to feel. I must say that as I walked across the square, it was kind of emotional. the end of a journey, the beginning of a new something, and so much work had gone into the walk and now it' done!!!!!

I got someone to take my pictues and I work the perfect outfit today because I'm pretty bright amongsts the other people. Then I went to the arches along one side and worked my way to a sitting position on the ground. Hmmm -- this may not have been a good idea. How am I going to get back up? 

I texted a amino buddy to see if he was still around and yes -- they were in the museum. Could I see them on the balcony??? Yep --- after some arm waiving, we spotted ah other. So James and Arturo came down to greet me so that wass nice. Rosie arrive earlir and was of to the airport to gt hoeme. 

By the way, the same way I shimmied myself down that wall, I used it to shimmy bk up!!!

Then I weny to get my FINAL stamp for ymy credencials. The book is FULL. I did not requet the composstella (certificate). It's just one more hting but the credentials was a big part of the trip. 

Then with the help of Google maps, at whih I suck, I managged to find my hotel. Andd while I had booked a night for tomorrow, I had nothing booked for tonight. Thankfully, they had a room tonight and that's where I've been enscounced ever since. 

My clothes reek!!!  My feet were filthy an the sheets are white. The first thing I did was have a nice long shower Then I crawle into bed and haven't really budged. Except to grabe various sthings from my backpack. 

It's after 9 PM, and my bedtime is 10, so I'm going to try and keep on that. I have some sightseeing to do tomorrow (thanks to Arturo and James for the advice). Ad theen we'll see what happens. 


I'll play with more stats (maybe) when I have time, but I walked from Leon to Santiago in 11 days with no rest days (which probably wasn't a good idea), but I made it and not too scathed. Just fatigue in my feet from the long distance yoday. A few drugs to help with thta and I should be good to go tomorrow. And I'm going to finda  proper place to hav breakast!!!!!

The one sentene for today: when the going gets tough, you must look within. What are the otpions, an what are your a bilies? Someties a stretch goal is good to let us know that we can reach beyong our abilities but only if we really want to. 

And on that note, Ive got an hour (well forty minutes)to read and hopefully I won't have trouble sleeping. 


OH - I should tell you about sleepign in that alberque last night. I had bad thought about it. Beause at 10 PM, there were about 10 missing young men. Oh great -- what time will they get in. I NEVEr heard a peep from them. They came in quietly and got to bed. I nevr even heard the one get into my lower bunk!!!!! I ouldnˋt hae been that tired!!!!

Sorry - for the typos. the keyboard is great, but not too stable on my knees and Iˋm too tired to go back and correct the misakes. 

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations ! I hope you take a break to rest up , then enjoy the sights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It was very exciting. No time to rest!!!

      Delete
  2. WOOHOO!!! You did it! What a great accomplishment for yourself. Congratulations from someone who stands in awe. 🩷

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! What a strong push to the finish line -- and an amazing accomplishment. You are an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. They say the Camino dies things to us! It MADE me do that strong finish

      Delete
  4. Congratulations for making your goal and finishing the Camino. You are amazing!
    Sharon F

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!! And please rest now and take care of your body 😀
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina!!!!! Been thinking of you and hope your trop was OK. Next year!!!!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne..a great, but long way to finish

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! I know you are going to enjoy the moment and Santiago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Had the day to explore!!! Thanks so much

      Delete