Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Walking challenges update

It's a great day today! It's my birthday, and while we don't want to be reminded of how old we are getting, it's a huge reason to celebrate because we're here to talk about the birthday and look forward to many more! I am one of the lucky ones!!

I have a quiet day planned by myself, and I can't wait! DH is sick in bed, so I told him to stay away from me -- I don't have time for that! Since my previous list of things to do was almost complete, I set up another one this morning to help me keep on track. If I do the same thing day in and day out, I don't need a list. But now that the ten quilts are done, I have time to focus on other stuff that NEEDS to be done. So, the list has been created, and I'm not sure how much I'll get done today, but if anything gets done, that's a bonus. The serious work starts tomorrow. 

So, the applique quota was completed yesterday. I will say that having committed to finish it has been a godsend. It might take me all day, but I manage to complete my goal. Am I done? No! Am I nearly done? No! But I'm making progress, and all I can say is thank goodness I didn't leave this until later because I'd be scrambling and not feeling good about the entire process. So yes --- breaking that up into small segments and sticking with my commitment has been great. I will NOT miss that daily commitment when it's done! But I'll have other UFOs that will also require breaking it down into doable segments. We were off for three months, so the commitment was extra big! 

For those in the UFO club or any part of your life, if there's something that you are procrastinating about - get to it! The darn thing will not get done on its own, and think how great you'll feel when you reach the end. I think it's the end game that is motivating me these days. I want the projects done to clear space, use more batting bits and fabric for the backing, or cross it off a list. The finished object has no meaning to me! That just blows my mind, but it's true. 

We had a great time sewing on Monday, and I always learned something from the group. Together, we are a formidable source of information. 

I put this picture here for Cathy, who is working on a fabric clock. This picture is from the QUILT magazine, Winter 1998. It's a kit to make a fabric clock. The clock is paper pieced or fused and fits into a quilting hoop. How cool is that! I should ask Cathy if I can share her fabric clock when it's done. 

Fabric clock kit from 1998


This kit cost $24.99 in 1998!!! Plus, $3.49 shipping from Seremar Fabrics in Yonkers, NY!!!


I decided it was time to make some quilt backs. The first one I focused on was for the next community project quilt, which will be quilted this weekend, as I have three customer quilts to work on this week. The backing is serged together, and the batting bits are fused. It's ready to go!!!


The top, backing, and batting for a quilt


The binding is not made for this series of flannel quilts, as I have this great fabric that I wanted to use. It's flannel with a diagonal strip—yep—the strip is printed diagonally, so it'll look like bias binding when it's attached. I'm unsure how many quilts I can bind with my yardage, but I'll go as far as the fabric allows. I cut enough strips to bind this quilt. 

My binding fabric for the community project quilts

One other quilt backing was assembled as well. I had to hunt through the backings and the bolts to find something that was at least in the same color range. It's not a perfect match, but it's close enough!!! 

A second quilt backing is done!


Seeing the end of this bolt may not tell you anything, but I know from the packaging that this fabric is OLD. I checked on Northcott's website and it was current in 2012!!!! So, it's time to get it used up! Yes, it's all about using up and clearing out!!! I refuse to waste my time amassing more things like I did in the past. Remember how we all say that we bought all this fabric to use in our retirement? I'm not retired, but it's time to get it used up! NOTHING is sacred! 


Empty bolt of fabric



Here's a little update on my walking challenges. I have three of them currently on the go, and before you say, "Isn't that double dipping?" It is NOT. This first one is a three-year challenge that I did just for fun. I do not get a medal for it; there is no reward except for seeing myself progress on the map. I started in Cairo at the beginning of 2022 and am now in South Africa. The squiggly blue line is where I've "walked." I mapped this out myself. It was easy to do. 

Map of my walking challenge through Africa

As you can imagine, much of Africa is NOT mapped like we see on most Google maps. I've seen the landscape in the northern part of Africa, and I see that all of South Africa has pictures, which makes the finish line much more interesting. I just have to remember to check back daily now that it's back to visuals. 

This is what the terrain looks like north of Johannesburg. I still have a few days before I reach that city, but the terrain is pretty wide open. 


Terrain north of Johannesburg


Here are the stats for this "mission," as they are called within The Conqueror community. Look at that obscene total number of km. My annual goal for walking is about 4,500 km, and if you do the math, it doesn't work out. So, in year one, I supplemented by adding some of my indoor cycle rides. In year Two, I didn't add any cycling. In Year 3, I was behind a bit, but I caught up with the extra km on the Camino. I have to supplement with some cycling to reach my goal by the end of the year. I couldn't extend it for another year as I had reached the maximum number of days allowed for this online adventure. 


My stats for my 3-year challenge


I will receive a medal for the other two challenges, but they are not double-dipping. One of the measures is my total km for the year, and that goal is 4,500 km. I'm slightly ahead of schedule and will stay on track if I walk my daily goal of 11.5 km. I only need to walk 10.5 km daily, but why not keep that goal of 11.5 km? 

The last of the three challenges is specific—I'm currently walking the Great Wall of China. These are the company-created walks, with postcards and a preplanned map. 

My three challenges


Technically, they all use the same steps but do not measure the same thing. I don't care about the medals—another "collection," and what will I do with them all? But it's fun to see the goal on the map and keep track of the number of steps walked daily. I need that—it's how my brain works. 

I have some computer work that needs to be done this morning, and then the day is free for me to do as I wish!! I LOVE not having any commitments. Hmmm—retirement is looking better and better all the time! But I would miss the classes and other fun things, so I'm not ready to retire yet. 


Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Absolutely celebrate every single day and year. I buried Dad when I was 33 and Mom when I was 46 and I will celebrate every year I get!

    Retirement is AWESOME! 10-11h in the operating room left no energy for healthy exercise and this girl is walking to healthier each year, trying to keep up with you :-)

    Cheers to getting things done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I have no idea how the medical workers can stand up that kind of punishing schedule? It's insane. It's a wonder that more people didn't die on the operating table just from a slight misstep. That would be my worry!!!
      That is way too young to bury parents -- mine are both still going strong. And I'm so happy you can get out now and do some healthy exercise that works for you!!!! Have a super day!!!!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Elaine. We celebrate birthdays in our house, the weekend closest to your birthday is yours to plan and do as you wish.

    Drove my husband nuts when I said my fabric stash was my RRSP. He finally sat me down a few years ago and told me there is a quilting allowance in our retierment spending so I should use what I have. Which I am trying to do but I still shop way faster than I sew. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tammy!!! Celebratin on the weekend is a good thing and takes the stress away when you are working. I wish my husband had sat me down MANY years ago and had a chat about the spending! I wish I had sat myself down and had that chat. However, about ten years ago, I finally broke the spell and am now madly trying to use up what I have. I have zero issues to buy something new, but I won't buy just because any longer. I hope you bought all kinds of GOOD stuff to put in your FRRSP!!!!

      Delete
  3. Elaine, Happy birthday to another Virgo! Enjoy your day!
    Sharon F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon -- and happy birthday to you since your birthday is just past or just coming!!!!

      Delete