Tuesday, August 13, 2024

The long way home

 As Imentioned yesterday I wasnˋt sure when I was going to finish the Camino and had no solid plans to get home. I had other plans to do while Iwas here, but I decied it was time to come home.  hae a very busy September with loads of travel and Ihave a LOT of prep work and DH needs to travel. So I decided it was time to come home. 

I coul have rushed the trip home and hope that all the connetions would be on time or I could fly through various cities, but I decided to take it slow and keep it simple. 

Using the Air Canada app, I was able to quickly and easily change my flight date. Piee o cake, but I first had to cancel my upgrade request, get a new date and then request the upgrade again. No idea on whether I'll get an upgrade - but I'm monitoring the situation closely. Not saying a word as I don't want to jinx myself. 

Then I went online to book a train from Santiago to Madrid. That was also easy. How did people ever travel without a phone? I swear that having that eSIM is well worth every centtt if you travel somewhere. It's like having the same access to stuff at home, but no need to physically hange the sim card. and when I get home, I can easily turn off the esim and use my regular one. Easy peasy!!!!

The hardest thing for me is walking to the train station in Snatiago. Ii may be good with maps and directions or following yellow arrows, but put me on the ground with Google maps in pedestrian mode and I'm lost!!!!! It takes me a while to get orientated and then I'm mostly good. 

But I swear, I need to practise that because EVERY time I fail miserably at it. 

There was threat of rain thi smorning and it was cool. Of couse there was no serious walking to warm up, so I broke down and dug my light fleece from my backpack. Once I got going, it was a 15-minute walk to the train station and I was in plenty of time. 

I think I now have the train stations more or less figured out here and they are relatively easy. The big ones like Paris and Madrid are a bit confusing, but once you undertand the principa, itˋs OK. 

I had to change trains somewhere along the way. And the first train was late, so the connection would be tight. AH -- but the conductor came along and told everyone who was off to Madrid what platform the train would be on. How easy and civil is that. 

So then onto the next train which was now direct to Madrid but stopped in numerous places along the way. It was also late leaving, so I felt good that I had no pressure when I arrived in Madrid to get to the airport. 

WOW-- there are a lot of tunnels between here and Santiago. I was very surprised, even in the relative flatness around Madrid. 

Then I got off the train into the zoo of the giant train station. I knew exacly where I wanted to go even if I wasn't sure where I got off. Salida!!!! Follow the exit signs. And then it was - the hotel for tonight. 

I'll stay here and then take the commuter train to the airport tomorrow and then the bus to get to the correct terminal. It would be so easy if I didn't have to chek my little backpack, but I'm bringing my walking sticks home, so I have to chekc tthe bag. 

I may go out for a walk or I may just hang out. Iˋm tired -- I had lots of sleep on the walk, but travel days are exhausting. 

I think my tummy is slightly upset by the different foods Iˋm eating now or eating more food, but all is good. 

My knees were stiff after the second three hour train ride, so probably a little walk would do them good tonight. Itˋs still light, so not worried about the neighborhood. 

And thatˋs it for today. 

OH-- one sentence -- Does some of this travel get me anxious. You bet!!!! But if I waited to do it with someone, that day will lneer come and I don't want to miss the opportunity. What's the worse that can happen? Go for it!!!!!!

And on that note, I''m out of here!!!!


I'm very doubtful there will be a blog tomorrow - but you never know!!!!!


Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment