Friday, August 2, 2024

Camion 2024 Day Two

 Despite that crazy start yesterday, thing are on track today!!!!


It was hot last night but then we opened the window in the albergue and got an amazing breeze going through. I was actually cold in the night and ended up using my sleep sack, The guy right beside the window had a full sleeping bag and he needed it!!! 

But it was amazing since I had the best sleep in an albergue ever. We were six in the room and it wasn't until someone's alarm went off at 6 AM, that we woke up Well four of us. I might still be sleeping! But there's usually people att 4:30 rustling around to get ready and leaving, doors slamming, lights on and all kinds of disruptions. Last night - NOTHING. I had to get up in the night, but I, like the rest of the group was quiet as a mouse. 

It doesn't take me long to get ready in the morning, so I was off by 6:30 or maybe even a bit earlier. 

What does one do all day while walking? Well, you can think about many things. And if you make an observation and communicate that to someone, is that considered a complaint? I don't think so. It's an observation. The line is fine! 

Shortly after leaving, our path joined the other path and there were lots of people on the path. But it's easy to stay by yourself and not have to chat with anyone. It's not that I'm anti-social, but I havent met loads of people who speak English. Lots of Spanish and a few  French. It's still early, but I'm happy as a clam to be by myself. I'm very comfortable being by myself in a strange place. 

I had my chocolate pastry for breakfast about 40 minutes of walking. Good thing we didn't start too early as this place opened at 7 AM. A long medieval bridge in the town. Lots of history, but it's not my thing. At least not on this trip - this trip is about walking. I can play tourist another day. 

The road was much more interesting today - through some fields, through a dairy farm, trees, various types of terrain and TREES. Let's hear it for the trees. They keep the temperature down and provide shade. I LOVE trees. 

At one point, we had hills!! And what goes up must come down. There was one downhll that was quite steep, so I used the zigzag method to come down. The road was nicely paved and it was easy to do. My knee that caused so muh issue last year wasn't happy with the descent even with the zigzag. But a little massage at the bottom and it was happy again. 

My other knee is, well, it's being it's usual unruly self. I must try more massage and stretching today. The only thing that was sore after my long walk yesterday was my upper quads on both legs despite stretching and massage after I got in. That means more stretching today. I might wear my knee braee tomorrow, just to keep the knee happier. I do not want to have any issues. I'm getting close and don't want to have to come back. I want to finish!!!

A lot of the music we hear is English songs in all the restaurants and cages. This morning I heard the song about being Unstoppable and I couldn't get it out o f my head until I forgot it!!! LOL. 

I arrived in Astorga, whih was to be the stop for the second day. It's a big city and filled with tourists. I was so glad that I was NOT stopping there. I have to laugh because there are signs for the Camino right though these large cities and I bet many people have no idea they are there or if they see them, wha they are for. But my eagle eye spotted them all and I had no wrong turns all day. 

I was debating between walking to the next village or the nex one after that. I deided the next village was fine by me. That was about 4 KM away. Curreently at 2:30, Iˋm the ONLY pilgrim in this place. 

WOW-- I love being out o the major centers and will try to keep with that for the rest of the trip. 

Laundry is done and on the line to dry. The temperature is very moderate today and a few clouds in the sky provided more shade. I now have a totally free afternoon to stretch, massage, nap, and read. It really doesnˋt get any better than this!!!

OH - as for those observations. Hereˋs what I noticed. Stickers are BAD. Why do people insist on putting them on the signs. If as an adult, you wish to play with stickers use them wisely and don't deface public property. Why would someone bring stickers or markers for that matter on the Camino? 

Saw a stork's nest on the roof of a tower. The nest and the storks are HUGE. 

OH--- I got lucky with the beds so far. Private room the first night and NOT a bunkbed. Last night, the bottom bunk of a bunkbed and tonight A cot. No bunkbed. Yippeee!!!!

OMG--- A bird just pooped on my guide book which is sitting right beside me. thank god it wasn't the stork - I might have got splashed!!!!

Well, I had other observations along the way that presipitated the thought of whether observations were complaints. However, they are now completely out of my head!!! Which is probably a good thing. 

Of to find some water and then  a nap!!!


Have a great day!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!  

4 comments:

  1. Not sure if Traumerl is available where you are but it is great for aches pain and injuries. Have fun and good luck in finishing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. So far so good. Nothing more than my usual.

      Delete
  2. So happy to be "along for the ride" as you complete your Camino. I've never understand walking with noise-talking, phones, music (and I love me some music). Walking is my therapy. I think it's become a necessary part of my sanity.

    Knees: ice if you have access after you finish and again in the morning before you start. For sure wear the brace you have. (can you tell I am an Orthopedic OR RN??? ;-)

    Happy Saturday to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you!!!!! I wore the brace today. Only reason I could pump out that distance..I don't get how a bunk of foam can make such a difference. Music?? I can't even stand people talking to each other

      Delete