Saturday, August 10, 2024

Day ten

 I swear it's been longer than ten days!!!! 

Well my choice of lodgings is the complete opposite of yesterday!!! I'm in Arzua and in a busy alberque. It was NOT the first one in ttown, but I wanted to make sure I got a bed as this was the perfect spot to stop for the distances I want to do the next two days. 

So there were two of us in the alberque last night. A quiet night but I felt I tossed and turned more than I needed to. Not sure why --- just what it was. 

As per the markers on the path, I walked 22 KM today and that leaves about 32 KM(app), 39 (markers) or 41 (book). I'm going with the app!!!!

It was quite dark when I let this morning so I needed my flashlight to light the way fro 30 minutes. I have pretty good night vision, but I couldnˋt see a thing. 

Lots of shady paths to walk on and of course, the usual climbs and some of them were steep and seemed to go on forever. According to the book, there was about 800 M of climbing. And wait --- the climbing never stops!!! Two more days of the fun stuff. 

Got another blister to add to the mix -- on the small toe on the other foot. My baby toes get crushed when walking, despite using toe socks and having loads of room in the toe box. Itˋs the struture of my feet or how I walk. ANyway, itˋs not hard to manage and all is good. 

Iˋm trying to enjoy the last couple of days. But itˋs interesting as I met up with the couple from the US and we walked and chatted for a couple of KM. guess what? I saw nothing of the Camino as I chatted. So we talked about travel plans home and then I left them to forge ahead since they had a bit more agressive walk plan that I did. 

We walked over a couple of old bridges and used stones to cross other creeks. 

The morning was quiet and then once I reached Melide, I started to see the throngs of people that everyone talks about. Where have they been the last couple of days? I kow they have buses that transport them around, but I'm not going there. Everyone does The Camino in their way. It's a VERY touchy subject it you question anything about anyone else. Even as an observation. 

Some people like to walk fast and I'm OK with that. That would be me if my body allowed it. But I bet there are many that walk fast and talk the entire time and never notice a thing about the view, the trees, or een themselves. They are the ones that just want to cross the walk off their bucket list. But don't say that in a public forum like Facebook!!!!

The one issue I have is the ability to get food. Today is saturday and I totally forgot. The restaurants near here are closed on the weekend. Seriously???? I did get something across the street, but not sure what I'll find. I don't think I'm downtown per se where I'd probably find more stuff open. Perhaps I'll take a little walk. 

When I arried at the albergue today, it wasn' ready and I got a bed, I suspect, it was the lasts one since it's number 48 and there are 48 beds!!! It's an upper bunk - oh yeah!!!! But I've done well, so not going to complain. The rest of the beds were reserved. The key is to wear sandals on the rung or you kill your feet. How do kids do that ladder? 

Anyway, I left my backpack here and walked back to take a picture. OHMYGOSH. My backpack is NOT heavy. Not once have I wished to ge rid of anything. But walking without thath backpack was like losing 12 pounds instantly and not having it strapped to my back. WOW- and then we wonder why lots of people walk with only a day pack!!! I'm happy to walk with my backpack.

I think I'm with a group today as here are a lot of young people so I expect it will be noisy, but that's OK. It's part of the experience. 

But it's HOT, which is another reason why I like to get in early. It's going to be hot tomorrow and then cool down a bit. 

It's almot 5 PM and people have been walking past the albergue ever since I arrived 5 hours ago. Where are they all staying? It's amazing that there are rolling beds for everyone. 

I suspect today was a bit busier or people walking longer as they want to get to santiago tomorrow which is sunday and the pilgrim mass is at noon. I could be wrong. 

The sentence for today: Be brave and you will succeed. If you have a bad day, a sleep and a fresh morning sometimes makes all the differeence. Attitude can sure change the way we see things!!!


And on that philosophical note, I'm out of here. 

Have a super day!!!

ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment