Monday, August 19, 2024

It's Ground Hog Day

It feels like Ground Hog Day at my house. Another day and I did the exact same things as the day before!!!

Someone suggested that I take my handy labeler and put labels on those drawers, and that would be awesome since I sometimes open the wrong drawer. BUT WAIT—I'm going to show you something about those labels, but it'll have to wait since I do not have a picture of it this morning. 

The latest community project quilt was loaded on the long arm and quilted. I've got a good system going, but it still takes me 5 - 6 hours per quilt by the time I find some backing, load the quilt, and find appropriate batting bits. Then, I quilt it, trim it, and add the binding. It could even be more than 5 or 6 hours per quilt. 

Community project quilt - DONE

And how many quilts need to be done? About 300 for community projects? I'm not even going to count the hours. This is my VOLUNTEER job for now and when I retire. So I'm OK with that. 

I was searching for fusible fleece, which is NOT in that batting closet, but I thought I'd refresh my memory about what else is in there. There are bags of batting and non-fusible fleece, so I have lots of stuff to use before I need to go to the rolls of batting that were purchased for these quilts. 

There are so many batting bits because I will NOT use them for customers. So, what's in that closet are all the off-cuts from customer quilts. I only charge them for what gets used in their quilt, not the bits I keep. It's a win-win for me and the customer. 

Anyway, all is good—the next quilt is loaded, and the batting bits need to be joined this morning so I can work on it. It's intense to do one quilt per day—maybe I need to back off and do one every second day? Nope—I'll keep this up until the ten quilts are done. 

I trimmed one more quilt (I'm one behind), and the binding was added to another.

Binding on a quilt


I should get that trimming and binding business up to date, but it all takes time, and there is no rush to get these done. I aim to have ten quilts for Quilts of Valour and ten for Project Linus by the end of September. So, whether I fill in the gap with already-made quilts for both or continue my marathon, I don't know. But filling in with already-made quilts will help to fill my "order" and eliminate some of the quilts I will never use.

I also have to remember that I have TWO projects requiring step-outs for an upcoming filming event. I have five blog posts to write and am prepping for a week of sewing machine events. And there are the fall classes, but that can wait until October. Probably not with my travel schedule, so I have to start working that in, which I have been. It's all behind the scenes, so you don't get to see what happens there until it becomes public. 

And I was at the sewing machine as well. Here's a picture of some of the applique. 


Applique on Cabin in the Woods


 I sound possessed by doing these things, but here's the thing. It will never get done if I don't "force" myself to do it. It's so easy to put things off, and then I regret it. So, I'm thrilled to put myself in a zone and continue to work on those quilts and this applique. 

I won't tell you my progress, but if I can continue, I might complete my UFO goal by September 18th. Here's a look at the quilts on the design wall. And that's all I'm going to say about that. 

Progress on Cabin in the Woods

I'm glad I "forced" myself to make that list. I have an endpoint every day on the applique, and it doesn't seem so daunting. I must remember that for all future projects, don't tackle the whole picture—break it up and focus on one part. And before you know it, it will be done!!!

I already have my next UFO picked out and want to start. Yep—more applique! I can hardly wait, but at least it's only one quilt. 

I emptied two pre-wound bobbins. These are the dribs left from machine embroidery, and instead of throwing them out, I use the last little bit for machine applique, which works for me. I almost have all the bobbin bits used up. These are pre-wound bobbins, so the bobbins are garbage when I'm done. 

Two pre-wound bobbins - empty!!!


I've decided to keep the hand-binding thread. All the spools never fit in that tin, so I found a larger one, and now all that thread is sitting with the rest of my threads. 

The hand-quilting thread doesn't fit in the tin


The old tin had a label, so I must make a new label for the new tin. I tried to pull it off, and well, that's why I want to share the photo with you. 

The new tin


All the thimbles wouldn't fit into their tin either, but it was a miracle. I found a deeper tin that used the same-sized lid as the old one. I've no idea how that worked. I never use these thimbles, as I have my two very fancy thimbles, but I'll hang onto them for the moment. 

The thimbles


I walked to the thrift store yesterday to pick up a book I spotted two days ago when I had no money. It's a book about Russian quilts. It had no price tag, but I got lucky, and they put a price of $3.99 on it. The three youths at the counter were interested in quilting and wanted one!!! I was almost tempted to give them a quilt since they knew what they were and wanted one. 


My new quilting book

But I swear someone is following me at the thrift store, and if I spot something I like, it is often gone the next time I get there. I spotted a long-sleeved blouse that was quite nice. It was double the price of the others, but very unique. I went back to look at it yesterday, and it was gone. Hmmm - the same thing happens with puzzles and sometimes the yarn! I guess I should always carry money with me! I never carry cash anymore, but at least I should have some means of paying for stuff. I could set that up on my phone, I think, or my watch? 

We've had a lot of torrential rain, so there are new ruts in the forest paths. This particular one, which was paved, now has a nice rut down the middle of it. 


A new rut!!!

And this one is as big as ever, despite their attempt to fix it while I was away. Just pave the darn hills over. Leave the flat parts, as those don't get ruts. How hard is this to fix???? 

Another rut



They have attempted to put logs at the bottom of the hills (on the corners) to divert the fill from going into the forest towards the creek. It's a little too late for that. So, how much money is now off the path and into the forest? This is happening in two spots. 


The fill is going into the forest



These paths NEVER experienced any issues like this until about five years ago. They must have done something that started the severe erosion, and it's just getting worse!!!! So much for new methods and progress!!!!!

Oh, Miss Murphy. She has a foot fetish and can't wait for you to take your shoes off. 

MOM -- I missed your feet


On that note, the lump of dead skin on that little toe is healing—it's itchy. Hopefully, it's all going to fall off soon, as it's super annoying. It doesn't hurt—it's just itchy, and I can feel it's there!!!

It's Monday, which means Monday Sewing!!!!! And I'm off to spin class. And what's with the weather? We go from high humidity to cool weather in a matter of hours? It's crazy, but I'll take this cooler weather - it's beautiful!!!

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!




4 comments:

  1. The erosion on the path is due in part to the torrential rain storms (climate chaos) we are experiencing on a more frequent basis. It also could be the repairs are based on historical repairs and not repairs that can with stand these heavy rain falls we are now getting.
    Always when the task is too big break it down into small chunks. Welcome back and remember what you learned on the Camino. Awesome job. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep --- repairs are not as good as they were? I just don't ever remember them having to repair the path EVER. Then something changed. Let's see what happens!!!

      Delete
  2. I have a question about the prewound bobbins. I've never used them before, so I don't understand why they are garbage when you empty them. They can't be wound again with your own thread? Just curious, before I'm tempted to buy any.
    Sharon F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon -- I plan on doing a blog post on bobbins. Good thing I went back to look at the comments as I had forgotten, so I'll try to get that out this week.

      Delete