Monday, October 30, 2017

Quilt Market - Day Two


Hmm - I must have been very tired last night.  When I went to bed, the score in the baseball game was 7-4 for the Dodgers. I wake up this morning to find that Houston won 13-12?????   Seriously?  the crowds must have been wild and I heard NOTHING.  I didn't even wake up and fall back asleep - I heard NOTHING!  No earplugs, no alcohol - just plain old tired!  I'm glad actually to know that I can sleep that well!

I guess things will calm down in the city somewhat, but I'm sure that security will remain high as the stadium will likely be open for people to come and watch on the large screen. Next thing you know there will be holographic baseball where one can "watch" the game even though it's in another stadium. Wouldn't that be cool!

But I've never seen so much orange and blue!  T-shirt vendors, I believe you can't get an Astros hat if your life depended on it.  Snipers on hotels (including ours), cops and more cops. Homeland Security. In the evening there are always several tables of cops in the restaurant.  I guess I don't get out much.

This was projected onto the side of one of the hotels.

Projected onto the side of a hotel

I believe that is the Marriott and that huge wall (probably their ballroom floors) is an amazing screen. And how do they get that projection on the wall???  The projector is in the parking lot across the street on a Skyjack or whatever they call those scissor lift things!

Enough about baseball! Let's talk about quilting!

I'm afraid that I don't have a lot to report about quilting. I was in the booth almost the entire day chatting to people.  I had appointments almost the entire day and so I wasn't able to wander far from the booth.

The day started with our Take n Teach class.  We were making a bag - oh shoot - the least I can do is show you the bag. I'll take a picture later today as I have one of the bags with me and the other one is at the booth.  I spent countless hours prepping these bags - countless!!  I ended up making 20 kits and we had 19 in the class so all but one were taken.  I'm giving the last one to one of our sales reps who is a quilter so I know the tote will get finished.

It was crazy to have 19 in a tote bag class, but EVERYONE finished the bag and they look awesome. I think we got pictures of most of the folks, but I had no time for taking pictures. Thankfully that is done and while I might be persuaded to do a Take n Teach again, we shall be giving some serious thought to the project!   But it is fun to see the ladies parade through our booth with their bags.  A HUGE HUGE thank you to the Motivational Monday group for all their help!  It was much appreciated.

I was also part of the Demo Alley for one and a half hours.  I was showing the Bold Basics by Northcott. We actually have an amazing selection of Basics and I've been working to make a number of quilts using only the basics.  Which is easy to do so I tried to not get carried away. 

Oh, shoot - I need to upload a couple of other photos for you!  But no time this morning. Speaking of photos, I'm thrilled to have uploaded the latest version of Photoshop Elements.  Nice to be able to edit photos. I know nothing about it except to crop and resize.  I'll have to learn the rest when I get home and I'll be loading that software onto my "NEW" home computer and trying to wean myself off of that laptop which is so slow.

The rest of the day was a blur as I met with various editors and other people that I wanted to touch base with.  I forgot the show is closing early today as it's already the last day!  I'm making up a list this morning of those that I must get out and get to their booth. So much I would like to see, but there is no time.  But I figure if I can forward five new contacts that is better than getting 20 leads that go nowhere.  I have so much to do when I get home!   But it's all fun stuff so I can't wait!

I think it was about 5 o'clock before I realized that I hadn't eaten all day at the show. I managed to get a soup and half a sandwich before we headed off to a cocktail party. I'm just not into having any alcohol while I'm here.  I'm so dehydrated that I can't afford to have any.  I have water with me but don't remember to have a drink.  Yep - I'm like a kid in a candy store and I'm networking my heart out!  Don't worry - it's all fun.  Oh yes - I'm having a blast. And there are some super exciting things to talk about - but not now!  I promise to take better care of myself today, but this is normal for me at any trade show.

It's great to get back to Market and see all the friends/acquaintances that I've made over the last two years.   I'm a happy camper, to say the least.

Here are some close-ups of some of the quilts in the booth.  I promise to take pictures of the rest today.  I can't believe I haven't had time to do that.  Although if you search on Northcott Facebook, I'm sure they have posted pictures.

By Robin Long
 My brain has turned to mush.  I think this one above is called Colorful Sunshine Garden. The background is Northcott ColorWorks and the flowers are made with Shimmer - Northcott's metallic collection. I need to get to Robin's booth today to chat about her technique.  Isn't that a cool quilt?

And here is a full shot of my favorite - Wolfgang.  You can find more of Yanicka's work at this website.  Including the pattern for the wolf.


Wolfgang


When I was wandering back from the cocktail party, I saw this amazing sculpture. It's actually a water fountain and all those parts move.  It's very beautiful.

Water fountain sculpture


I'm sorry that I'm not showing you all kinds of shots of new stuff as I haven't even had a chance to see much myself.  As I scoot around to my last appointments, I'll try to take some pictures.  I'm off to finalize the list of those that I MUST see today. 

Have a great day!!!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment