Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 22 - Regina - Crooked Lake

Got up early, had breakfast and Jeanne and Jim drove me back to Regina to meet up with the rest of the group. It was going to be a long day. I think I arrived at the campground at 6:50 and by 7:09, I was riding out the gate!!!!!   No time to waste when it is a long day.

By long day - we did 168 KM. I am a bit disappointed in my new Garmin bike computer. I am able to collect the data, but for some reason, it is acting up and doesn't want me to see the final summary for the day (at least not in the same format as it was originally) which means I can't e-mail it to those that were getting the e-mails. I called Garmin today (July 17) and they are telling me I have to RESET the computer. NOT before backing up all the data. I have managed (by using Michel's computer) to back up the stuff on a stick, but I am leery of resetting the computer. I hope to try later today to upload it to the web, then I will happily get rid of the data on the computer because it is filling up.

Anyway - I will be home in about TWO WEEKS (just for one day) and hopefully can deal with it on my computer at home.

OK - back to Day 22.

We started with a head wind  - what else is new. Then we changed directions and got a tail wind. OK - I'll take that any day. We were on Highway 1 which seems like a good thing, but honestly it got a bit boring. So as much as I would LOVE to ride on the nice (in most cases) shoulder of Highway One (and even happy with the traffic), it can get BORING, so the smaller routes (and more meandering which means LONGER) are more interesting. Plus we get to stop at all kinds of little stores along the way.

Stopped for food. As the trip goes on, we seem to be stopping for a LOT more to eat on the road. Actually we are stopping more for drinks as the days are getting hotter. And chocolat milk has become my new best friend. Today wasn't that hot as it was cloudy for most of the day and that kept the heat down. YEAH!!!!!

There were storm clouds all around us, but we did not get any rain and I am quite happy about that.

Then we went down into Qu'appelle Valley. Wow - this place is gorgeous and I had no idea how big it was. Not only is it wide, but it is very long. Funny - a part of my "home" province that I don't really know. I have driven through the valley - down one side and up the other, but never been in this part.

The lake was HUGE and should be called LONG lake, not Crooked Lake. However as we turned off the highway onto the scenic route to get to the campsite, we were met with a FIERCE headwind and we still had 16 KM to ride. Given that it was already a long day, this did NOT sit well with me (well the others as well), but let's face it - I HATE to work hard on my bike.   I now you find that hard to believe - but it is true!!!!!

It can be quite a challenge to ride into the wind. It is very difficult physically as you are working harder and tend to sit deeper onto the seat, so your butt is protesting, your hands are protesting as you push harder into the handlebars. And your brain is saying - ENOUGH of this - just flag down a truck!!!!!    BUT - your ego says - NO WAY - suck it up princess, gear down and get to the destination. You can't have bragging rights if you don't do the time!!!!!!!!

The park was beautiful (although 6 days later, I can't even remember what it looked like!!!) All campsites seem to be blurring into each other. I MUST remember to take a picture because my brain just can't handle all that!!!!!!


Yes - it is still our rest day (In Kenora) as I write this. I am going to forfeit pictures until later as the internet just doesn't seem to have enough bandwidth to process them properly. And it is a beautiful hot day outside and where am I?????   Inside the office in the A/C (which normally I don't care for), but at least there is a table to sit at and electrical plug.



Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment