Sunday, March 6, 2016

A tribute to Yvonne Porcella

Yvonne Porcella was a fabulous quilter.  She passed away on February 16, 2016 after a battle with cancer .

Here are the links to a couple of posts paying tribute to Yvonne and her work.


Post Number one

Post Number Two



I took a class with Yvonne many years ago in Houston at the Houston Quilt Festival. OK - the year was 1999.

I was a brand new quilter - more or less and I was going to HOUSTON.  I was over the moon and I signed up for tons of classes.  No need to research or time to do any research.  Just bring fabric for the projects and get to it.

Here is the cover of one of Yvonne's books that I own.

Art & Inspirations by Yvonne Porcella


If you GOOGLE images by Yvonne Porcella - you will be blown away by the BRILLIANT colors that she used constantly.

And I think this photo below was similiar to the class that I was taking with her in Houston.




So you get the picture - everything about Yvonne screamed COLOR.   Her clothes, her eye glasses, her quilts, her fabrics!!!!  

For our workshop - we were going to make a free form FACE.   And guess what I (newbie quilter who had done no research) took to the class for backgrounds????

Yep - insipid creams!!!!   I think I almost gave her a heart attack and she knew that I didn't know who she was and had done no research!!!!!




My face done in Yvonne Porcella's class
 Now there is a story about this quilt.  I wanted to take a picture of it and then I remembered that I sold it. When?  No idea! To whom?  No idea!

But I must have a picture of it somewhere?????   Well that is another day's blog post.  I edited all the pictures this morning - it's almost ready to go.  Wait for it - it's a doozy!!!!


The class was a day-long class and I got the entire face done and I'm quite happy with the results despite the fact that it is dull.  Drat - I almost wish I had not sold it.  If you know who bought it - well maybe we can bargain!!!!  I want it back!

Anyway - we had time to start another one and this is my happy sunflowers - again on a totally insipid background.

Happy Sunflowers


I still have this piece - there are 3-D dragon flies and bees hot glued to it.  Oh yes - and half a frog and a ladybug.   Oh my - how my techniques and style have changed since 1999.   Bottom line - both of these pieces are DONE which is more than I can say for much of my other work!!!!!


It's always sad to lose a quilting legend, but her work will live on and perhaps it's time to remake that face in BRIGHTS.  God knows I have lots of them now.

On that note - I'm off on an adventure this morning and then back home to pick up the pieces (more on that tomorrow or maybe the next day - let's just say the studio has been turned upside down!).  And I have some quilting to do!!!!


Have a great day!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment