Monday, April 9, 2018

Cutting it close



So I was madly working on my Trend-tex challenge yesterday. Cut, measure, slice, cut, measure, slice. Quilt, quilt, quilt. For the most part, I'm pretty happy with it, but it could have had a wee bit more contrast. Not my fault. I only used the fabrics that came in the kit. I guess that's part of the challenge! Well, something to keep in my experience file for the next challenge and yes, there'll be a next challenge.

The binding has to be made from the same fabrics. Hm - that was a challenge. I figured out what size of quilt I could make with a certain size square so I make continuous bias binding. That needed a big square. So while I was hacking and slashing, I had calculated the size that the piece would need to be and use a square for the binding. I made the binding last night and it was stitched on this morning. How much was left? NOT MUCH. There wasn't much left of the other fabrics either. I pretty much used them all up!!!


Leftover scrap of binding
Not even enough to keep!!!  That was cutting it a wee bit close. I would have had to improvise this morning if it wasn't long enough. The quilt gods were on my side!!!

As I was hacking and slashing, I was also working on the pixel quilt. One more block is done!!!!  That leaves THREE big blocks and four small blocks and the quilt will be finished.


Pixel quilt

Isn't that looking amazing? I'm super excited to get the blocks completed. The end is in sight. Nothing like a focus to get something accomplished. This quilt deserves a cool backing. Got to find some funky apple fabric to put on the back. I had to cut more greens before I could lay out the next block, but it's ready to go this morning and I'll be using that as my ender and leader as I put together my six blocks from 150 Canadian Women. They look much easier today than the last couple of weeks.

I have other pictures to show you, but no time this morning. Mondays are sewing day and I really should do the blog post the night before.

I'm off to retreat later this week. There just doesn't seem to be enough time to get ready!!  April was a busy month for speaking engagements. I have one more this evening at the Erin Village Quilter's Guild. The topic is Modern Quilting! Should be loads of fun.

OK - I admit that I took some time to relax yesterday and finished another novel. What was hilarious is that when I went to enter it into the database, the darn book was already there. Really?  Yep - I checked the date that I had read the book - 2012 - the same year the book came out. It mustn't have been that memorable as I did NOT remember reading it at all. Wasn't my favorite book, but a nice little fluffy read.

I'm going to leave you with two links this morning. First check out QUILTsocial. They're using fabric markers this week. OH - I have the same markers. I had better read those posts for inspiration. The markers would be good for challenges and other various interesting things on quilts.

The second link is the CreativFestival. YES - it's this weekend.  Friday and Saturday. I haven't been in a couple of years so I'm looking forward to going. And I see that Libs Elliott is doing a lecture. I wonder if I could sneak into that. She has been the presenter at several of my guilds (three different occasions) and I've not been able to make it once!!!!

On that note, I'm out of here to finish getting ready for Monday sewing.

Have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment